Tourist card

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Yes the dreaded tourist card...

I heard that many airlines include the tourist card in the the ticket price.

I have a few questions.

Does a tourist card need to be presented to officials when arriving in Dominican Republic?
If so, how/where does one get it?

I just called Turkish Airlines and Copa Airlines and neither of their agents there knew anything
about the tourist cards.
The flight is to Punta Cana via those two connecting airlines.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes the dreaded tourist card...

I heard that many airlines include the tourist card in the the ticket price.

I have a few questions.

Does a tourist card need to be presented to officials when arriving in Dominican Republic?
If so, how/where does one get it?

I just called Turkish Airlines and Copa Airlines and neither of their agents there knew anything
about the tourist cards.
The flight is to Punta Cana via those two connecting airlines.
if they don't give you one onboard you get to purchase it upon arrival.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
if they don't give you one onboard you get to purchase it upon arrival.
That was removed years ago.
No need for any physical tourist card anymore, and anyways what I remember you purchased it at one stand at the airport dnd then at the migration booth they took it from you. So it was literally in your possession for the duration it took to get from that purchase stand to the migration booth.
When you arrive you are "entitled" to 30 days of tourism.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No need for any physical tourist card anymore, and anyways what I remember you purchased it at one stand at the airport dnd then at the migration booth they took it from you. So it was literally in your possession for the duration it took to get from that purchase stand to the migration booth.
Guess I am out of touch, not having been a tourist for 12 years.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016

If I didn't have a little more info I would be happy with your response and not be concerned about it.
I know of at least one other airline, Sunwing, that doesn't include the tourist card in the ticket price.
So I assume someone at the airport can figure this out and make you purchase one.

I'd like to know specifically about Turkish and Copa airlines though.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
If I didn't have a little more info I would be happy with your response and not be concerned about it.
I know of at least one other airline, Sunwing, that doesn't include the tourist card in the ticket price.
So I assume someone at the airport can figure this out and make you purchase one.

I'd like to know specifically about Turkish and Copa airlines though.
Those airlines might not specifically detail that information in their prices, but they are included in the ticket price.
Just take a look at this from DGII (Dirección General de Impuestos Internos) that are responsible for any taxes and stuff (including the fee for the Turist Card)

TarjetaTurista.jpg

If you don't know spanish, it says that since April 25th 2018 the Tourist Card is included in the airline ticket, for which case it's not necessary to purchase when arriving at the airport.
So even if the airline hasn't detailed that it's included, it's still included, even if they don't even know it, and there's no place to purchase them at the airport.

Reactions: drstock and MarkDR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's not about the $10 it's about principles, the government should not charge non-tourists the $10 entry fee... 😂
I agree.
10 bucks is still 10 bucks but it should be included in the price of the ticket.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's not about the $10 it's about principles, the government should not charge non-tourists the $10 entry fee... 😂
I suppose you have never had a traffic stop and pay a propina to go? So, if stopped will you still "stand on principle (in the DR) or pay the dishonest cop? He's part of government. As far as "The government should not charge non-tourists the..." in the end we are all visitors . For expats, resident or not (except citizens ) this is not our country. IMO no vote=no say. For me, personally, $10 = no stress.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yes, but Mr AE received an email a couple of days after our flight with a link to request a refund.

Yes I got one of those, and then I got another email a few weeks later with a survey asking me why I hadn't bothered to request the US$ 10 refund.

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yeah I think I remember trying to get it refunded last year, but I think it was to complicated so I didn't ever bother for $10..

I've had it refunded a few times, it isn't complicated to be honest but you do have to fill in a form and upload your e-ticket with the fare breakdown showing, from memory. Last time I must admit I didn't bother.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I always submit for the reimbursement. It takes all of 5 minutes to do and so far I've been refunded almost $200 from my various trips so it adds up.