Tourist in Cabarete Shot in Road Rage Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's because some slowpoke fools drive in the passing lane.

In the DR it is plain and simple. There is no such thing as a passing lane. All lanes including the shoulder of the road are used for passing.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
In the DR it is plain and simple. There is no such thing as a passing lane. All lanes including the shoulder of the road are used for passing.

I need to add: Even the shoulders and, if possible, the opposite side of the road are passing lanes!!!

Reactions: Rocky
Feb 15, 2005
One of the problems is that tourists are not accustomed to cars inching up on you before passing on the right into the opposite lane. It's not personal it's how it's done and anyone who travels to DR or lives there knows this.
A new traveler would freak out and find it "rude" or a driver passing you in this form a sign of aggression but it really isn't.
I do it because it's the only way to pass slow drivers or trucks and run the opposite lane before oncoming traffic approaches. Especially in one way roads.
This guy obviously was new to this and freaked out.

Reactions: Rocky

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
If the police were at the scene of the shooting they will have arrested the man. Saying it was an accidental shooting to the police does not mean that you are free to go your home. This is a dream.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
About the taxi driver who shot the American: I heard he's in jail, the gringo is out of the medical clinic, as the bullet miraculously passed through his shoulder without much harm, and the rest is .... somewhere in the wind. As stated before, driving is probably the most risky adventure to undertake in the DR, especially when it's dark, more especially if you've had a few, and even more especially if you have had a few AND are provacative. Seems to be a common cocktail for trouble. Not a bad idea to get a ride or hire a ride after a night out. (Not suggesting the man shot was inebriated).

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I just got back from a trip to Boca Chica for a unction of the Dominican Judo Federation.

What we saw on the highway was incredible. One guy with his warning lights on going 40 in the fast lane and refusing to move over.

Another in a new sports coupe "cutting the cake" (zig-zagging) at a very high rate of speed.

A truck switching lanes with no warning and almost collecting two more cars.

Plus all the normal idiocies, like a couple "strolling" across the Las American Hwy and the Charles De Gaulle intersection like they were on a Sunday walk in the park, with screeching brakes and cars trying to not hit each other...

Fortunately the 379 kms went by without incident on our part, except for a tire...but I was expecting that...

HB
Most Dominicans cannot...

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This guy obviously was new to this and freaked out.

Not so sure about this. I think he could have been a resident, not a tourist, & a resident who had been around a while as well. Maybe SKY could confirm for us?

Just want accurate information here a) so that tourists don't get scared witless unnecessarily & b) so that it is understood that residents would be expected to know how to behave & how to avoid difficulties. Residents, for example, would be expected to know the foolhardiness of provocative behaviour. If they have a need to throw their weight around to prove some point or other..............they won't last long.

I know one can't legislate against stupidity & I'm talking gringo stupidity here. There is a world of difference between a tourist who has been in the country 4 days & a resident with many years under their belt. Let's not be too hasty in blaming the Dominican.

Most Dominicans cannot...
Good move to edit that, Eddy.............;)

If you are driving slower than some traffic you should get your self over to the right so nobody rides up on your bumper to get you to move. When they pass you that way it is because you are in the way. If you drive an old vehicle and like to go slow you should not make a nuisance of your self. Stay out of the passing lane.

OK now that you taught all of us how to drive maybe you should bring this knowledge you have aquired to the masses in DR

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A newly arrived expat friend once described his struggle to remember not to feel personally offended or provoked by the driver behind him beeping his horn the moment the lights changed. You have to take it as a helpful reminder, not as an impatient criticism of your slow reflexes.

Reuhaa

Jan 15, 2008
I know the guy involved in the incident,i took him to the hospital in puerta plata.first of all he did turn around to ask him why he tried to run him off the road,bad mistake.when they stopped the taxi driver got out and walked up to the driver and hit him in the face with the butt of his gun,turned the gun and shot him in the left shoulder and got back in his cab and took off.there were no words exchanged at all and they did not know each other prior to this incident.word on the street is this guy is connected and has killed 4 dominicans already.

Sep 19, 2005
I am wondering how a lowly tax driver gets SOOOOOOOOOOOO connected.

getting away with murderS...is very expensive.....

bad bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not so sure about this. I think he could have been a resident, not a tourist, & a resident who had been around a while as well. Maybe SKY could confirm for us?

Just want accurate information here a) so that tourists don't get scared witless unnecessarily & b) so that it is understood that residents would be expected to know how to behave & how to avoid difficulties. Residents, for example, would be expected to know the foolhardiness of provocative behaviour. If they have a need to throw their weight around to prove some point or other..............they won't last long.

I know one can't legislate against stupidity & I'm talking gringo stupidity here. There is a world of difference between a tourist who has been in the country 4 days & a resident with many years under their belt. Let's not be too hasty in blaming the Dominican.

Good move to edit that, Eddy.............;)

After checking further the victim is a local, not a tourist as I assumed before. Also the shooter, Jose is not in jail as the local refused to sign a complaint against Jose. Might be a wise move as this local is not really able to defend himself if someone comes after him. I know who it is but I will not give his name out for obvious reasons.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
A bit off-topic if allowed.

Being a person who lived in several countries, I can tell you that nowhere in the world people drive so slow like in USA.

This question is asked practically by all European visitors to US - "Why the hell do they drive so slow??!!"

It has to be explained them about police, tickets, insurance premiums, implanted obedience, etc...

But the desire to kill a f***g slow driver on FDR , NJ Turnpike or Major Deegan - is very strong and very well personally known. A slow goer in left lane creates more accident situations than reckless aggressive drivers.

It is not to defend the rude killer, just off-topic.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I give credit and medal of honor to those Brave Canadians, British, European, American and others nationalities living in the Dominican Rep.

Its big shame on Dominican authorities giving gun permits to the people that doesnt
even know what they have in their hands. those guns are toys.

Think twice before moving there think about your safety first.

I know that **** happen but in DR is all the way around (Happening ****) and always the innocent is the one affected.

sorry for the language.

moonzulu

Jun 16, 2007
Driving faster will not keep you safe. Driving slower will not keep you safe. Not driving at night will not keep you safe [although it might keep you from running over a horse or motorcycle without lights].

Driving politely, avoiding aggression with vehicle or gesture, and remembering that Dominicans are often armed, frequently drinking, and absolutely unhesitating in using violence to avenge their easily-dinged "honor" is the best you can do. Apologies with gestures at imagined insults also helps. Actually, Dominicans are quite receptive to apologies and backing off, if they think you mean it. And don't expect a friendly wave. Be happy no one shot at you. I have been driving here day and night for four years, I've been lucky, but I'm always conscious that this ain't my country and a foreigner is completely unprotected here because you have no extended family that will kill to avenge your death. And every Dominican knows that.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
After checking further the victim is a local, not a tourist as I assumed before. Also the shooter, Jose is not in jail as the local refused to sign a complaint against Jose. Might be a wise move as this local is not really able to defend himself if someone comes after him. I know who it is but I will not give his name out for obvious reasons.

Thank you SKY. I won't divulge the name either but just to reiterate the foreigner concerned is a resident not a tourist, & a resident who has been here a considerable time. Thus previous suppositions that the person would not have been knowledgeable about Dominican driving habits do not apply.

I would also confirm that the Dominican concerned is not in jail.

simpson Homer, we don't need medals. We just need to act in accordance with what is expected here: courteously, politely, friendlily to diffuse any posturing and without shouting our mouths off or having to prove anything. Charm goes a long way. Unfortunately the charm schools some expats attended were not certified.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2005
But check it. This guy that's been shot is now going to be paranoid where ever he goes even if he doesn't say something. In some cultures not doing anything is worse than doing something especially if you got out of your car as if you were ready to escalate, which obviously, he wasn't ready for what proceeded. Now he just took a couple of steps down in the animal kingdom where other lower level predators lurk. He doesn't want to be a conversation piece for every knucklehead crack head out there.

Is getting armed an option? I can't speak for him, but he definitely has some serious choices to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.