Translation for " ?grafa"

Status
Not open for further replies.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
I want to know how to say the word " ?grafa" in English. ?grafa means, a culture or society that doesn't have a writing system. I've been looking for this word in many dictionaries, but can't find it :mad:

An example of the word:

" Los tainos eran una sociedad ?grafa"

"The Tainos were a society { that didn't have any writing system for their language}"

This is not to be confused with " illiterate" , which means that the society does have a writing system, but it has members that don't understand it or can't make use of it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I want to know how to say the word " ?grafa" in English. ?grafa means, a culture or society that doesn't have a writing system. I've been looking for this word in many dictionaries, but can't find it :mad:

An example of the word:

" Los tainos eran una sociedad ?grafa"

"The Tainos were a society { that didn't have any writing system for their language}"

This is not to be confused with " illiterate" , which means that the society does have a writing system, but it has members that don't understand it or can't make use of it.

Agrafa society means an "oral society", "incapable of scripture". The word Agrafa is accepted unchanged along many languages to mean the same thing.

The only change would be the appearance of the word in multiple alphabets, but the oral pronunciation remains the same.

It's rarely used out of classrooms and cultural related exchanges, very hard to bring up in casual and everyday conversations.
:cheeky:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Agrafa society means an "oral society", "incapable of scripture". The word Agrafa is accepted unchanged along many languages to mean the same thing.

The only change would be the appearance of the word in multiple alphabets, but the oral pronunciation remains the same.

It's rarely used out of classrooms and cultural related exchanges, very hard to bring up in casual and everyday conversations.
:cheeky:

Are you for real Pichardo? I thought that in English it would be " agraph" or something like that. I cannot find the translation for " ?grafa" in any dictionary. It is weird.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Are you for real Pichardo? I thought that in English it would be " agraph" or something like that. I cannot find the translation for " ?grafa" in any dictionary. It is weird.

Yes, I'm very sure about it!
The reason no translation word to word is available but synonyms, it’s because the word is used as a few others retaining the alphabetic image and sound across all languages...

Agraph in English is not ?grafa in full context...

The use of the word remains to this day close knitted to the very few whom study or practice in fields where a specific description with the fewest interpretation must be used.

Like "illiterate" could be employed as well but it remains too broad in specifics related to the interpretation.

I came about to add this word to my lexicon due to my love for history and civilizations that preceded us. The word is used there seldom to denominate some cultures that remained tagged as such until proven otherwise to this day...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This word stuck to my mind just as "Esternocleidomastoideo" did to use in word games...
I never lost a wording game I used it on... LOL!!!!

Another word that I used a lot was "b?culo" Or "Peneano"...

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Yes, I'm very sure about it!
The reason no translation word to word is available but synonyms, it?s because the word is used as a few others retaining the alphabetic image and sound across all languages...

Agraph in English is not ?grafa in full context...

The use of the word remains to this day close knitted to the very few whom study or practice in fields where a specific description with the fewest interpretation must be used.

Like "illiterate" could be employed as well but it remains too broad in specifics related to the interpretation.

I came about to add this word to my lexicon due to my love for history and civilizations that preceded us. The word is used there seldom to denominate some cultures that remained tagged as such until proven otherwise to this day...

Thankyou,

It is mind blogging to me that the Tainos, and almost the entire Western Hemisphere has been " agrafa" for milennia. That is the number one reason why they got conquered so easily by the Europeans. Without writing, is nearly impossible to develop any technology, such as cannons or guns.

Columbus found a Paleolithic( late Stone Age) society. He wrote in his diaries that " they are very easy to conquer". So for the Spaniards, is like they won the lottery.

It is sad that we don't know what the hell was going on in, let's say, the year A.D 1200 in Quisqueya, because there aren't any records like in Europe or Asia. Is like history started in 1492 when Columbus arrived and started to write about the island.

Did the Mayas had a " real functional writing system"? how come we don't have detailed Mayan history like we find in Europe? How come that writing didn't evolved and spread all over the region( to South America perhaps) like the Phoenician alphabet spreaded and evolved in the Mediterranean??

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Thankyou,

It is mind blogging to me that the Tainos, and almost the entire Western Hemisphere has been " agrafa" for milennia. That is the number one reason why they got conquered so easily by the Europeans. Without writing, is nearly impossible to develop any technology, such as cannons or guns.

Columbus found a Paleolithic( late Stone Age) society. He wrote in his diaries that " they are very easy to conquer". So for the Spaniards, is like they won the lottery.

It is sad that we don't know what the hell was going on in, let's say, the year A.D 1200 in Quisqueya, because there aren't any records like in Europe or Asia. Is like history started in 1492 when Columbus arrived and started to write about the island.

Did the Mayas had a " real functional writing system"? how come we don't have detailed Mayan history like we find in Europe? How come that writing didn't evolved and spread all over the region( to South America perhaps) like the Phoenician alphabet spreaded and evolved in the Mediterranean??

I don't think that a heading of "Paleolithic" can be used to describe, perhaps, one rich culture as the Arawak in the Caribbean...

The absence of a writing language doesn't precludes the potential to develop weapons par to cannons, it may hinder the passing of the knowledge from one generation to the other; but if we take under consideration that most trades in the world were in fact passed from masters to apprentices, via hand to hand without much writings to study. One can surmise that not having a written language represented no ultimate impossibility of advancements...

The Maya civilization was so advanced that still to this day, many can't grasp the ideology and workings of such culture; unlike the Egyptians or Phoenicians, they had incredible understanding of the elementals on earth and the cosmos...

The observation of Columbus was nothing more than the obvious to any person confronted with a culture based on agriculture and harmony with the surroundings. The old world relied on commerce, expansion, taxation and all the other ills of a culture heavy on exploitation...

Just as the Jews passed on culture, folklore and traditions in the mouth of cantors and rabbis along the common folk until they started to employ Aramaic to graph the messages; so too was the Taino in Quisqueya...

The missing link to the Taino culture is not the absence of a written language, but the absence of a committed effort to seek the culture by any institution or government to present.

We know probably more about the Ice Age and the Neanderthals than some cultures still in existence today, with written language and all teeth in their mouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.