Transportation options from Santiago to Dajabon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should PM me for more information.

The phone number for the place to eat in Dajabon is 809 733 3089. The owner speaks e
English. It is located on Dulce de Jesus Sanfleur St #8 (Next to the Banco Popular. It is called Nick's Bar and Bistro. It is the only place that should not disappoint you in that little town..

The markets are open every day. You cannot go to Los Hospedajes without a guide....Sorry...

Cordially,

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Despite the bad reputation the DR has regarding driving... I don't see why this trip can't be attempted with a rental car. 

You will need to purchase a data plan for a smart phone, so you can use Waze or another road directions service (Google). 
You also should not drive at night. 

About two years ago did the trip from Santo Domingo to Rio Limpio, an ecotouristic site in the mountains nearby to Dajabon. We passed Dajabon to get there. For the most part it is an easy drive, with only about 10 kms of dirt road on the way. 

I agree with HB that the binational market will be a disappointment. 

Consider making a stop in Monción (a short detour) to visit the Moncion Dam that is lovely. In Moncion (the town that made a name for itself for its casabe (cassava) production, made from yuca, you can enjoy delicious stewed goat and casava. 

Give yourself time and drive out. 

On the other hand, to get the Uber service will make it a no-brainer and if time is short, that would be the way to go. 

Consider also traveling to Punta Rucia, on the north coast. They have a lovely out island (Cayo Arena) that is worth booking a boat trip to. 

Take care and enjoy. 

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
1. The bus is super easy. You take it from the Rotunda - and it'll cost you about 250 pesos. I abhor driving here, but the road is a straight shot to Dajabon and would be easy enough if you were to rent a car. While you're in Dajabon, you can find a moto-taxi and go to the Muro/beach and back. Also the trip is definitely do-able for a day trip. It's not worth going for longer than a day unless you have people in the area to visit.

2. I agree with HB (BTW - HB I haven't seen you in days. WHERE ARE YOU?) The market is kind of a bust. HOWEVER! The trip is worth it - you can go to the border and see the Rio Masacre. It is a cultural experience and will help you to understand better some of the struggles between the countries. That said, you don't need to go on a market day ---

3. There is a "Haitian market" in Santiago on Thursday mornings. Similar experience, less... chaos. It is currently located by the municipal cemetary in El Ingenio. The mercado modelo has little trinkets and tourist junk, but the Hospedajes is worth a trip - especially if you can get a Dominican guide to show you the "inside stores" (where they sell stuff for brujeria)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that LaTeacher meant El Morro, an impressive mound on the beach in Montecristi and seen from miles away.

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I think that LaTeacher meant El Morro, an impressive mound on the beach in Montecristi and seen from miles away.

HB

Is this it HB?
I took 7 photos in January 2004, did not know the name of the place over in Montecristi area.

244qo46.jpg

29l01f4.jpg