Travel Visa for Dominicans - USA/Canada???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Maybe start with the number of Dominicans in New York and put that over the total number of Dominicans and see what kind of a fraction we come up with? Are there half a million of them there and 10 Million here (DR)? Any body know?

No, because we are talking about non–immigrant visas.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There is the official statistics of declined US visas percentage for every country. I don't know where to find it, but I know that it exists because I saw those numbers for some countries (not DR). But without seeing those numbers you can't say that it's almost impossible or very rare.

I doubt this is anything official, but it was also referred to by Robert a few years back:

http://immigrationroad.com/visa/b1-b2-visitor/b-visitor-visa-refusal-rate-by-country-fy2013.php

That would suggest 41.3 % refusal rate for 2013.

I?d like to know the details of this person out of "ghetto", on what basis did they give her the visa... As far as I know, without money traveling is slightly difficult...

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014

41% refusal rate doesn?t look as good as 8% for Panama, but it?s not VERY RARE or ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE like other posters said.

Are these numbers correct or no? I don't know.... there are some countries like Denmark listed here... why? They don't need visas to travel to US. Looks strange.

I?d like to know the details of this person out of "ghetto", on what basis did they give her the visa...

They don?t tell you on what ?basis? they give you a visa or decline it. She submitted her passport, passed the interview and got her visa.

As far as I know, without money traveling is slightly difficult...

Not really? she traveled to her friends in NYC, stayed in their house, so she paid for her Jet Blue ticket only. And most Dominicans travel to US that way.

I don't think that all of the 62,752 Dominicans that had their US visas approved in 2014 were the hotel chain owners.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
They don’t tell you on what “basis” they give you a visa or decline it. She submitted her passport, passed the interview and got her visa.

You are right, I phrased that badly. I meant to say what kind of documentation/information in the interview did this person submit.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
You are right, I phrased that badly. I meant to say what kind of documentation/information in the interview did this person submit.

I did not ask her about exact papers. I just know that she is poor and I know where she lives.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Only 41% refusal rate? I would like to bet even money on every person going in there and say refused. I would get rich in a month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe start with the number of Dominicans in New York and put that over the total number of Dominicans and see what kind of a fraction we come up with? Are there half a million of them there and 10 Million here (DR)? Any body know?

That alone is not really going to help since only the Dominicans that overstayed had visitor's visas. The ones in the US legally have fiance, spousal or work visas which are much easier to get. I have personal experience with this. By the way, the large number of Dominicans that overstay is THE VERY REASON why it is so hard for any Dominican to get a visitor's visa.

What we would need to know the number of visa applications for B2 visitor's visas and how many were accepted. We can find how many were accepted. For example, in 2014 from the DR there was the "huge" number of 275 B2 visitors visas issued by the USA to people from the DR. They did not provide the number of applicants for those visas, but for anyone that has been to the consulate, as I have several times, you will see a thousand or so people there on almost every business day. Thousands and thousands of B2 applications each year and a total 275 granted in 2014 to those from the DR.

Maybe someone can find where they post the number of applicants and then we can calculate the real percentage. I recall a number of around 10%, but even that number would not show how many that were approved met all of the qualifications, and how many of that 10% just won the lottery that day, and that is because all of the qualifications are not made public. The full list of qualifications is something we will never know, it can only be inferred by learning who was approved versus who was refused over time.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/statistics/non-immigrant-visas.html

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
If I where to take a guess based on the number of Dominicans in NY (2 million plus) I would say its not too hard
but it is cumbersome. It's mostly a matter of providing the right paperwork.
Most of my close friends that reside in The Dominican Republic have a US visitors visa.
I know a retired lady (on a school teachers pension) that has a US visitors visa and travels twice a year
to visit her sister and daughter in NY.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
By the way, the official decline rate stats for non-immigrant visas for DR for 2014 is here http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY14.pdf and it's 35.9%

And, here are the stats for non–immigrant visas for 2014 for Dominicans: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam...istics/NIVDetailTables/FY14NIVDetailTable.pdf

A1 30 visas
A2 365 visas
A3 9 visas
B1 353 visas
B1/B2 53,569 visas
B2 275 visas
C1 268 visas
C1/D 700 visas
C2 20 visas

The most common type of travel visa is B1/B2 (this is what I have in my Dominican passport).
53,569 per year means 150 visas are issued daily.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
The first number is 62,752 non-immigrant visas issued in Santo Domingo, for all nationalities. I think this includes foreigners who applied for US visa in Santo Domingo.

And 53,569 is the number of B1/B2 visas issued to Dominicans in 2014.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The first number is 62,752 non-immigrant visas issued in Santo Domingo, for all nationalities. I think this includes foreigners who applied for US visa in Santo Domingo.

And 53,569 is the number of B1/B2 visas issued to Dominicans in 2014.

Thanks for the real stats, thats 213 visas per work day, not 275 visas per year as some posters would have you believe. This site seems to overdramatize the level of difficulty of getting a US tourist visa. It really is not that hard as long you present a good story. If you have it together, have university education, a real job and a bank account, you have a very decent chance of getting a B1/B2 visa. If rejected, apply again in a year. If you return from the US and apply again for a tourist visa, the consulate tends to just give you a 10 year multi-entry visa, almost automatically. The number of Dominicans (living in DR) with a 10 year US visa is actually very large, - it seems everyone and their dog among the 'middle class' has family in the US and a 10 year visa in their passport, so they can't be that hard to get. Of course if you are a 20 year old Fausto motoconchista from Charamicos, your chance are slim to none.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
VJS, I think many posters from this site had the visas for their Dominican novias declined, but that just shows the "class" of their novias.

My car mechanic travels to US sometimes to visit his mother who lives there. The ebanista who painted the doors and the kitchen in my apartment travels to US sometimes. And as I wrote yesterday in the post that was deleted by one of the moderators, even some hookers that I took to cabanas finally got their US visas.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
VJS, I think many posters from this site had the visas for their Dominican novias declined, but that just shows the "class" of their novias.

My car mechanic travels to US sometimes to visit his mother who lives there. The ebanista who painted the doors and the kitchen in my apartment travels to US sometimes. And as I wrote yesterday in the post that was deleted by one of the moderators, even some hookers that I took to cabanas finally got their US visas.

These must have been some "classy" hookers if they got their visas, can I get their whatsapp?

texan

Apr 1, 2014
They do look at certain thinks when you apply for the visa. I would just tell someone to apply but not be shocked if they are turned down for the visa. As mention they ask if you are married, have kids, job, real estate, bank account, education, etc. We have had 4 apply and 1 got turned down. This was two meetings because it was family applying together. I can tell you sometimes they really do not want to hear your story. Your need to be prepared but some interviews are very short and I think they determined the answer was no before they entered the interview.

I know many times they are trying to decide and your interview can determine if the answer is yes or no. I think the rejections would be much higher if more people applied. I think a lot of people don't apply figuring they will be turned down. If they broke it down by age and other factors it would be much easier to know your chances. How many 60 plus year old grandmothers do they turn down ? How many do the turn down between the age of 18 and 24?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have it together, have university education, a real job and a bank account, you have a very decent chance of getting a B1/B2 visa..

What percentage of Dominicans have that?

By the way, using the number for both B1 and B2 visas together is misleading. A B1 visa is a business visitor's visa. A B2 visa is just a visa for visiting with no work or business allowed. This thread started in regards to B2 type visas.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The OP was on this morning and hasn't posted in 24 hrs I'm sure his head is spinning with all the answers.

done

Status
Not open for further replies.