Travelling to Europe for Dominican citizens changes in 2024

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have read that a visa waver program (ETIAS) will be put in place in 2024 that will allow travel for up to 90 days visa free. Any members on board with expertise on the subject willing to elaborate. TIA.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This looks like things will get a bit worse for many by needing to get an "ETIAS" to go to the EU.
It may not be difficult for a North American to get the ETIAS, but it is "just one more thing".

Apparently this changes nothing for Dominicans who would still need Schengen visas.

Who needs an ETIAS visa waiver?​

ETIAS is for non-EU citizens from visa-exempt countries. This includes Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. You can find a full list of eligible countries below.

Travellers from these countries can continue to enjoy visa-free entry but they need to apply for ETIAS.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Sounds very similar to Esta visa waiver for travel to the US. The Esta doesn’t apply to Dominicans and this EU program wouldn’t I apply to Dominicans I don’t think.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Turns out this ETIAS visa waiver has nothing to do with Dominican Citizens since they still need a Schengen Visa to go to the EU.

But, that might eventually go digital :

Or it might not and remain as difficult as it is today.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Turns out this ETIAS visa waiver has nothing to do with Dominican Citizens since they still need a Schengen Visa to go to the EU.

But, that might eventually go digital :

Or it might not and remain as difficult as it is today.
Winde
My question is in regard to changes in 2024. 2024. ....NOT in effect now in 2023.

colmcb

Mar 22, 2009
The ETIAS program has been delayed and delayed. It was supposed to go active in 2023, then 2023, and it's now slated to begin in 2024. We'll see. As of now (things keep changing) there is 56+ countries who will need to register for travel to the Schengen zone. There is a small fee to register and, once registered, it will be good for 3 years (again, everything keeps changing but that's what is in place as of now). U.S. citizens, Canadian citizens, etc., WILL need to register. As of now, Dominican citizens will not.

Also, just a heads up, there is another program slated to begin in at the END of 2024 (again, this may change), for travel to the UK. It's called ETA and it's similar to ETIAS which is similar to the U.S. Visa Wavier Program that's been in place for many years. For the ETA program, as of now, Dominican citizens WILL need to register if traveling for tourism and not visiting family in the UK.

The basis for these programs is to enhance security. These countries are trying to get a better grasp on who is entering their countries.

ETIAS is: European Travel Information and Authorisation System
ETA: Electronic Travel Authorization

There are a number of websites offering information on ETIAS. However, I would ignore all of them except the official site which is updated regularly:

ETIAS

and for ETA

Reactions: aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde
My question is in regard to changes in 2024. 2024. ....NOT in effect now in 2023.
The answer is simple. No visa free travel for Dominicans or others like Dominicans that need Schengen visas to go to the EU.
No change for them.

For those that don't need a visa, like me from the USA, they have to fill out a form on line and get an ETIAS waiver.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This looks like things will get a bit worse for many by needing to get an "ETIAS" to go to the EU.
It may not be difficult for a North American to get the ETIAS, but it is "just one more thing".

Apparently this changes nothing for Dominicans who would still need Schengen visas.

Who needs an ETIAS visa waiver?​

ETIAS is for non-EU citizens from visa-exempt countries. This includes Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. You can find a full list of eligible countries below.

Travellers from these countries can continue to enjoy visa-free entry but they need to apply for ETIAS.
yes, it was supposed to be in place starting this October.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
That its not comming very soon for Dominicans, first we need new passport with more security before apply as a country free travel to EU, and Dominican goverment started now with the process implement the passport with chip, and 2nd. if Dominicans do not change their programmed thoughs that here there is not future and start to see that people come here for vacations after very very hard work and stop thinking that the money run like water in a river in other countries that will be more dificult to have access to those countries more easy. Thanks god that La Vuelta por Mexico slowed down a lot, they realized little late that was going to an scam.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That its not comming very soon for Dominicans, first we need new passport with more security before apply as a country free travel to EU, and Dominican goverment started now with the process implement the passport with chip, and 2nd. if Dominicans do not change their programmed thoughs that here there is not future and start to see that people come here for vacations after very very hard work and stop thinking that the money run like water in a river in other countries that will be more dificult to have access to those countries more easy. Thanks god that La Vuelta por Mexico slowed down a lot, they realized little late that was going to an scam.
I don't think the passport used by the DR has anything to do with Dominicans ever getting visa free travel to the EU.
The problem is that Dominicans would go to the EU and few would return. Nothing to do with the security of the passport.

And I do agree that it is very unlikely Dominicans will not need Schengen visas for a long time to come.

Reactions: JD Jones

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I don't think the passport used by the DR has anything to do with Dominicans ever getting visa free travel to the EU.
The problem is that Dominicans would go to the EU and few would return. Nothing to do with the security of the passport.

And I do agree that it is very unlikely Dominicans will not need Schengen visas for a long time to come.
Without a passport with chip EU do not acept that you as a country apply for Visa Free Program.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Without a passport with chip EU do not acept that you as a country apply for Visa Free Program.
Alrighty then, but even with 10 chips in a DR passport, a person with a DR passport will need a Schengen visa.
The chip is not the overriding ultimate issue here.

So when do DR passports get chipped?

• Love
Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The answer is simple. No visa free travel for Dominicans or others like Dominicans that need Schengen visas to go to the EU.
No change for them.

For those that don't need a visa, like me from the USA, they have to fill out a form on line and get an ETIAS waiver.
I think the US Esta visa waiver system
Alrighty then, but even with 10 chips in a DR passport, a person with a DR passport will need a Schengen visa.
The chip is not the overriding ultimate issue here.

So when do DR passports get chipped?
They can’t even get that formality done.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If the EU would stop requiring Schengen (hallelujah), the DR would end up like Surinam. Actually there are more Surinams in the Netherlands than in Surinam (not joking).

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa

So why doesn't Colombians, Venezuelans or Peruvians need a Visa? I don't think that citizens from those countries have less interest in leaving their home country than Dominicans.
Those who have enough money to leave normally wants to stay in the DR, and those who don't, normally don't have enough money to pay for the trip. And I don't believe that it would make any difference, those who are determined to leave DR and live illegally somewhere else will find the way with or without Visa requirements, it only "hurts" the rest of us who has to take those additional costs and steps to be able to take our families abroad.