Travelling with Dogs by air

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Traveling with dogs via American Airlines. They have a list of proscibed breeds of dogs they will not fly. They refused to fly my breed of dog because he "looks like one that is on the list". I called their "animal expert" in Miami and was told that. A/A does not like what they call "snub nosed breeds". I have registration papers from AKC showing my dog to be a pure bred and not on the list. What is more silly is that they flew him in to the DR in 2005. Now they out and out refuse to fly him. The regulations even state that the examining vet determines the breed. Its like Alice in Wonderland. Did not expect this from a major US airline.
The list is completely arbitrary. Only recourse I have is to contact the US dog clubs of the affected breeds. They have the lawyers, time and inclination to fight this sort of thing. If you are thinking of flying your dog, check the list but remember it is not the real list. The real list only exists in the head of a woman in Miami they call their animal expert.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
With A/A as I understand their rules there is a temperature not a date restriction for flying dogs. It must be 84 degrees or lower upon departure and arrival. Their is a temperature feature at A/A cargo website where you can see the predicted temperature hour by hour. I have not seen any date restrictions with A/A. They also have a list of dogs they will not fly.

You are correct and that goes for most American based airlines. Its a temperature restriction and not a date restriction.
Its a restriction to us also to attend the World Championships Dogfrisbee with our dogs but we are looking into an alternative for next year. I am not going to loose my sport for the regulations of airlines. Its becoming harder and harder for even European competitors to attend the Worlds with their dogs also.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Traveling with dogs via American Airlines. They have a list of proscibed breeds of dogs they will not fly. They refused to fly my breed of dog because he "looks like one that is on the list". I called their "animal expert" in Miami and was told that. A/A does not like what they call "snub nosed breeds". I have registration papers from AKC showing my dog to be a pure bred and not on the list. What is more silly is that they flew him in to the DR in 2005. Now they out and out refuse to fly him. The regulations even state that the examining vet determines the breed. Its like Alice in Wonderland. Did not expect this from a major US airline.
The list is completely arbitrary. Only recourse I have is to contact the US dog clubs of the affected breeds. They have the lawyers, time and inclination to fight this sort of thing. If you are thinking of flying your dog, check the list but remember it is not the real list. The real list only exists in the head of a woman in Miami they call their animal expert.

Don't tell me, you have a Staffordshire and they said it was a Pitt Bull.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

They flew my Boxer.... more than once..
But it is becoming very difficult to find "friendly" airlines.

I drive 9 hours to Canada to use WestJet....
That sounds dumb, but I used to drive 2 1/2 days to Miami to fly AA.

Continental is good but very $$$$$$$$$

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
yes, it is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and is not on their "published" list. What is on the list and which the animal expert for AA says is similar is the American Staffodshire Terrier. This is also known as a pit bull which is also on the list. They are two distinctly different animals with similar names. Neither dog is what they refer to as "snub nosed" breeds. They mean brachycephalic dogs that have breathing problems like the English Bulldog. Boxers are on the no fly list. If you got one thru you were lucky. What is sad here that you have a pet you love and its stuck in the DR due to an (in my case at least) an arbitrary list. The list came out in 2010 so AA may have flown your pet in and will not fly them out of the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes, it is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and is not on their "published" list. What is on the list and which the animal expert for AA says is similar is the American Staffodshire Terrier. This is also known as a pit bull which is also on the list. They are two distinctly different animals with similar names. Neither dog is what they refer to as "snub nosed" breeds. They mean brachycephalic dogs that have breathing problems like the English Bulldog. Boxers are on the no fly list. If you got one thru you were lucky. What is sad here that you have a pet you love and its stuck in the DR due to an (in my case at least) an arbitrary list. The list came out in 2010 so AA may have flown your pet in and will not fly them out of the DR.

It really is hard to understand.

All the 'snub nosed' dogs have always been on the 'no fly' list
You are right...brachysephalic....

BoBo the Boxer was a frequent flier.... round trip Miami - POP in 2010.... Jan to April

I took him back in Nov 2010... one way... to live there.

I am surprised to hear how diligent they are about identifying breeds... we had 'no problemas'.

As I keep saying.... its getting harder to fly animals..

AA charges $150 for the 'carry-on' lap dog..... same if you check it in a #5 crate...

Go figure...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

No, it has nothing to do with the fact that both breeds are "snub nosed", it has everything to do with the fact that the two breeds Stafford and Pit Bull come from one breeding pool many generations ago where the Stafford went its own way to be used for show and continiously been bred for that and the Pitt Bull was used and bred further for dog fighting.
To be clear, I have no problem with either breed, only with some owners and breeders of Pit Bulls.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The list even includes four breeds of cats. Anyone flying these breeds or one that kind of" looks like" a dog on A/As list is taking a chance. I am going to email the affected dog clubs and we will see if they have any success. I got nowhere trying to reason with A/A.