Treatment as foreigner

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I think the people who enjoy living here the most are retired and have and have a good-with-the-flow attitude.

I find it rude to complain about how challenging it is to be a foreigner in terms of doing any work with a government agency, the bank or even dating. I also find it difficult being black here sometimes. I'm American, but I don't always get the benefit of the doubt that I can afford many of the places I CAN afford to be in.

This is really a country you have to adapt to. Spent 9 years here and there are some things I have not adjusted to. But after so long you just look foolish complaining about a choice you've made for so long. It's a beautiful country with beautiful people, but some are just more hard up than others.

OP mentioned making good and somewhat affluent friends here and I think it's hard. Other than my neighbors, I don't have any friends who have done as well as I have.

The best analogy for this country that I can give to anyone is it's like moving to a new HS your senior year and everyone has their friend groups...and you kinda have to choose what's left.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
This is a bit of a rant but it's a clean rant; more or less a cultural observation of extranjeros and how we're treated better or for worse

I have visited here for more than 10 years and have lived here for nearly a few now - have a Dominican family. I am young and have adapted to the language, customs, lack of punctuality and straight up lowered my expectations with services; I have seen the good and tried to adopt some of that friendliness into my own personality.

The first year was fun, puppy love, everything was new, the lack of rules was cool etc. The second year was more or less falling out of love with it because of the lack of any good services to be honest, taught myself to be really self-sufficient imported tools/products from my country; has helped so much and saved me headaches, but one thing that remains to frustrate me and that's community.

Dominicans treat each other horribly anyone who has spent time here knows how they treat a gringo vs their own ( stranger ) is very different, there is an immediate lack of trust, competition among other things - this is totally void if it is family as they are really warm with one another or close friends.

It didn't really bug me until last year when my son had his birthday party and I spent about 40,000 pesos on everything and had a bunch of kids and family come, out of the 25 kids that were there one brought him a present but wanted seconds to take home along with the cake. This really pissed me off, because I have attended other birthday parties here and the kids normally get presents, it's not the cost of the toy it's the thought for the kid.

There has been lots of things in between like people trying to help me i.e unloading my bike from my truck and flat out asking for money to the point I tell people " si queres ayudame bueno, pero es por gratis " 7/10 they stop helping.

There is fruit trees in the back of my pretty good neighborhood which are mine, there are other trees as well on other people's properties - they come over to me to ask if they can go up my house to pick the avocados they want and I know if I let them they would clean out the whole tree with a smile but they don't do this to the other Dominicans.

I get this subtle communist vibe here when people tell me or talk about others how they should openly share resources; like that one of the biggest economic handicaps here is Hermano works so he will give me some too and I won't work.

The maid comes to my house and tells me she makes 2,500 a day cleaning but she's doing it for 1,000 cause she's friends with X then goes on a low key 8 hour begging spree that she owes 24,000 peso and needs help bla bla I don't care. I know from being submerged in Dominican culture for 11 years that if she did this to a Dominican she would have received a horrible-normal response

these are weekly things and sometimes semi-daily. I am venting a bit here but my reasons are valid, lots of extranjeros who come here are retired and like the weather or love travel/ nature and want to try a business or something other come here for family or attempt to find greener pastures. I think as a demographic compared to some other countries we add a lot of value, education, businesses, and foreign income into the local economy, not every extranjero here is good of course but as a whole, we're not bad and the government tends to agree.

Do Dominicans honestly just think foreigners have enough that their plates are full so they should share obligated cause thats what a nice gringo does? I am always a bit stuck in between how to respond to these things cause they are generally nice people surface level but without sounding like a total A hole I feel it's very hard to have a real friendship with one unless they're on a similar economic level and have their own things - friends which I do have but, obviously, when you go out to the gym, supermarket you are not dealing with your circle you're dealing with the general population.

What I have done instead of just complaining about it is going back to my country for a month at a time and this helps and quite honestly have been more of a A-hole here which helps as well because people don't bug me but it comes with a side effect of becoming a bit dumb to others which I wasn't before.

Was a rant but a clean rant :unsure:
I really enjoyed reading your Post and can confirm every single word or thought. I tell you the very same that my former Boss told me 18 years ago after arriving in this country. He already spend 30 years here before my arrival. These are the wisest words you will ever hear: "A Dominican will do with you what you allow him to do with you !!!"

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
No gracias y no tengo works well with me. Blending in the best you can also works.
Not letting people know too much about you helps.

But this works in the States, too.

"Can you lend me money?"
"Can you cosign for a loan for me?"

No!

People try to get to know you, to see your status.... rich, middle class, poor or flat ass broke.

"No tengo!"

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I think the people who enjoy living here the most are retired and have and have a good-with-the-flow attitude.

I find it rude to complain about how challenging it is to be a foreigner in terms of doing any work with a government agency, the bank or even dating. I also find it difficult being black here sometimes. I'm American, but I don't always get the benefit of the doubt that I can afford many of the places I CAN afford to be in.

This is really a country you have to adapt to. Spent 9 years here and there are some things I have not adjusted to. But after so long you just look foolish complaining about a choice you've made for so long. It's a beautiful country with beautiful people, but some are just more hard up than others.

OP mentioned making good and somewhat affluent friends here and I think it's hard. Other than my neighbors, I don't have any friends who have done as well as I have.

The best analogy for this country that I can give to anyone is it's like moving to a new HS your senior year and everyone has their friend groups...and you kinda have to choose what's left.

Are you saying Dominicans underestimate your capacity to pay just because you're Black?
Sounds like racial profiling, something many expats and even Dominicans deny it exists in Dominican Republic.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
I would understand this initial post for somebody new in this country....but it`s what it is .I was pulling my hair the first 6 months but now I am going with the flow. It does not mean that I am easily taking advantage off ,I have a low expectation on many things .

Couple of recent examples :

Was looking for building a pergola and was asking for pictures as references . They were sending me pictures pulled from pinterest .Once caught ,they said ,"I should not do that" and were still trying to sell me their services.
An other example ,was looking for specific plants which can grow in front of the beach . Was quoted USD 1,800 for 20 of them.

For both propositions ,I had a good laugh and I found an other solution.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe not dumb to others but maybe being less aware. As CB posted, we have turned a blind eye to housekeepers that have taken some extras. Not enough to make a difference but enough that you keep it in the back of your mind. I do have a laundry story, but I will save that. Sometimes it is not being dumb as it is more of "tuning it out". ***OP meant numb***
I think what the OP means by "dumb" is people doing certain things and they assume (you can see it in their demeenor and many times word will come to you via another person, guess where that gossip was started and spread?) that if you never talk to them or anyone to let them know that you noticed or if you keep acting as you normally do, that it means you actually didn't notice or became aware of it.

Many times the one not aware that you noticed and are keeping note are the ones that convince themselves that you didn't notice. At a certain point it's funny. They could think that you're too dumb to notice based on their assumption that you didn't notice, but that is only what they think. Reality is something else.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I agree with the OP, but you need to look at the situation from their viewpoint. If they make 1000 pesos per day, that is around $6,000 USD per year.
If that Dominican saves every dollar for 35 years, their entire life, and spend nothing on food, electric, phone or the beauty, in the end they would have $210,000.

They see a gringo come into town and buy a house for $250,000 and have a $50,000 car. In their mind, they realize that if they saved every penny their whole life, they would not be able to buy what the house and car that the gringo bought in one day. They have TV and social media and are in contact with people who made it to Puerto Rico on a yola, and then went on to NYC and are making $30 per hour as a general laborer. They have seen those people come back after a few years and buy a house in the DR.

As a result, when the gringos say they do not have the money, or cannot afford it, or tell them that they are paying a fair wage, they do not believe it and are thinking, "hey, can't you help me a little amigo"!!

I know there are many gringos who come to the DR on a fixed income and do not buy a house nor an expensive car. However if you got to the DR on something other than a yola and are not working, they will assume you have a money tree in New York.

Reactions: drstock

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I agree with the OP, but you need to look at the situation from their viewpoint. If they make 1000 pesos per day, that is around $6,000 USD per year.
If that Dominican saves every dollar for 35 years, their entire life, and spend nothing on food, electric, phone or the beauty, in the end they would have $210,000.

They see a gringo come into town and buy a house for $250,000 and have a $50,000 car. In their mind, they realize that if they saved every penny their whole life, they would not be able to buy what the house and car that the gringo bought in one day. They have TV and social media and are in contact with people who made it to Puerto Rico on a yola, and then went on to NYC and are making $30 per hour as a general laborer. They have seen those people come back after a few years and buy a house in the DR.

As a result, when the gringos say they do not have the money, or cannot afford it, or tell them that they are paying a fair wage, they do not believe it and are thinking, "hey, can't you help me a little amigo"!!

I know there are many gringos who come to the DR on a fixed income and do not buy a house nor an expensive car. However if you got to the DR on something other than a yola and are not working, they will assume you have a money tree in New York.
This is a very Old Fashioned and a little bid arrogant View you share. This was maybe true 30 years ago but today the situation is totally diferent. I can guarantee you that for every "Rich Gringo" in this country you have at least 10 "Filthy Rich Local's". Spend 5 minutes at a traffic light in Santo Domingo and see by your self how many cars (value above 80K) are driven by a "Gringo", It's not about how much money you have. It's all about how stupid we are in their eyes.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This is a very Old Fashioned and a little bid arrogant View you share. This was maybe true 30 years ago but today the situation is totally diferent. I can guarantee you that for every "Rich Gringo" in this country you have at least 10 "Filthy Rich Local's". Spend 5 minutes at a traffic light in Santo Domingo and see by your self how many cars (value above 80K) are driven by a "Gringo", It's not about how much money you have. It's all about how stupid we are in their eyes.
Something that never ceases to amaze me. At every single traffic light, there is a million dollars worth of cars you can literally reach out and touch.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I can't believe we're digging up this relic of a theme yet again. Nothing changes if nothing changes folks
its always better the second time around. My problems as a foreigner are more complex. Where can I get a haircut where they will not shave the sides of my head and leave it long on the top and how the hell do I order a steak "medium".

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Are you saying Dominicans underestimate your capacity to pay just because you're Black?
Sounds like racial profiling, something many expats and even Dominicans deny it exists in Dominican Republic.
Oh 100%!
I know that this was satirical, but it's a real issue here. There's a good group of black Americans here in the capital. We usually just go back to the same places and do not deviate much from our routine. We share common experiences in some of the places we have been to in Naco & Piantini. There's a lot of classism here. There are not many places I cannot go to here, but this country is all about the look in many cases. I'm quick to remind people where they are. I think in some of these high-end eateries and stores, the employees begin to think they're one of the people that frequent their establishments.

They have the idea that perhaps fairer skin people may tip well. Until i open my mouth (i'd say my spanish is at about 80%) few assume i am a foreigner. That's where they begin to treat me differently.
My friend owns a really high-end bar, and I don't visit often unless he's there. Because typically when I go, the employees look at me crazy. Then he comes out and sits with me and you can see the shock. I tip well when there's good service and treat everyone with respect. I expect the same thing.

Reactions: DR fan1990

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The thread is not about people driving 80,000 SUV's It is about people making $400 per month. My view is not arrogant, it is reality in many parts of the DR.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
That's true and I still scratch my head where the money comes from.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Oh 100%!
I know that this was satirical, but it's a real issue here. There's a good group of black Americans here in the capital. We usually just go back to the same places and do not deviate much from our routine. We share common experiences in some of the places we have been to in Naco & Piantini. There's a lot of classism here. There are not many places I cannot go to here, but this country is all about the look in many cases. I'm quick to remind people where they are. I think in some of these high-end eateries and stores, the employees begin to think they're one of the people that frequent their establishments.

They have the idea that perhaps fairer skin people may tip well. Until i open my mouth (i'd say my spanish is at about 80%) few assume i am a foreigner. That's where they begin to treat me differently.
My friend owns a really high-end bar, and I don't visit often unless he's there. Because typically when I go, the employees look at me crazy. Then he comes out and sits with me and you can see the shock. I tip well when there's good service and treat everyone with respect. I expect the same thing.
I bet this happens to you at the airport, rental car agencies, shoe stores and ice cream shops.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It's best to never ever help them because they will be back for more.
My Haitian cleaner does not ask for money but I turn a blind eye if she takes a couple yogurts and a banana or some slices of bread and cheese
Every time I go to DR I spread out a couple hundred Dollars, people that help me out or take care of my belongings over there. That won't brake my bank, but theses people really appreciate it. I think all the blessings I get from them are working out pretty good for me.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

At 58:24 this Dominican / American couple say that when they go to a restaurant she is always the one given the bill. They made a bet among themselves that he wins when he is the first to get a bill and it has never happened. He even said there have been times when the waiter arrives at their table with the bill, he puts his hands out as to be handed the bill but the waiter always gives it to her ignoring his gesture.

But many people say they aren't a real couple, that they are doing it for the money they get in social media, etc; so maybe this isn't real either.