Trip Report: ?Non-Inclusive? Boca Chica (June 2007)

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
I?ve been to BC several times alone, but planned things a bit differently this trip ? mostly to ensure that it would be enjoyed by my wife of nearly thirty years (who?s only stayed at all-inclusives on the past trips to the DR). Here?s our report

THE DON EMILIO. A TOP-DOLLAR DISAPPOINTMENT
Based on reviews, I booked all six nights at the Don Emilio Boutique Hotel. It was a disappointment. Upon arrival (at midnight), the receptionist (Angelo) insisted that I pay for all six night, in cash, upon arrival. My Spidey senses began tingling. I agreed to pay for two (which turned out to be a minor mistake). He brings us to room #1? no AC. Room #2, no working lock on the door. Room #3? smells like a donkey?s rear.

Finally ? he grins and says, ?I have a special suite for you ? just $20 more.? At this point, I grimace, inspect the suite (it appears OK) and agree. Over the next few hours, we determine that the only things in proper working order are the lock, the AC ? and that the suite does not smell like a donkey?s rear. With each flush, the toilet deposits another 1/8 inch of water on the bathroom floor. For this, I paid $90US per night.

THE MADEJRA. AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE
The next day, I inquire at the Maderja? and am shown two different rooms (both $40/night), either of which is better than the ?special suite? at the Don Emilio. We arrive the following day, and are given an even better 4th floor room (with wrap-around sea view balcony) for $40. The staff and manager (Domenico) are amazing. For the next four nights, we enjoy our accommodations immensely.

PLAYA VISTA, OUR DAYTIME OASIS
?How?d you spend your days? And what about meals?? you ask. Easy. We spent all day, every day hanging out on the beach at Playa Vista (just 2 minutes from the Madejra). Great beach. Convenient amenities (showers, etc.).Good service. Reasonable prices. And a never-ending, ever-changing cast of characters.

BOCA CHICA, OUT AND ABOUT
For breakfast, we visited El Puerco Rosado (five minutes west of PV, on the beach) daily for awesome coffee and an outstanding fruit plate (not to mention the cooling beach breeze, clean tablecloths, great service, and the cleanest rest rooms in BC). For dinner, we tried several places (like da Nancy, Pequeno Suisse, and Italy Italy), and enjoyed them all.

COST & VALUE, A-I vs. ON OUR OWN
Neither of us are big drinkers, so our bar tab at Play Vista was never (well, hardly ever) over $20/day. So do the math. Lodging $40. Breakfast $10. All-day bar tab $20. Dinner $30. $100/day total, or about what a couple might pay at a really inexpensive all-inclusive (the Barcel? Tranquilera in Juan Dolio comes to mind). And about half that of the Hamaca.

CONSIDERING A SIMILAR ADVENTURE?
Money aside? the real value of NOT choosing an A-I was the quality of the experience. We got to know real people in a real community (though many could make a case for BC being ?unreal? - smile), with each day full of choices. Sure, BC can be a little ?seedy? after dark. And the beach vendors can be pretty aggressive. But would I have enjoyed the ?safety? of an A-I nearly as much? No way.

But if you do consider a trip like ours, having at least one decent Spanish speaker in your travel party is helpful (almost essential). And finally ? if you?re a big fan of all-inclusives, by all means continue to enjoy them (and resist the urge to attempt engaging this writer in a cyber-argument). But if you?re up for a nice mix of sun, sand, suds ? mixed in with a bit of local culture ? try going it on your own some time.

A

apostropheman

excellent!

i've made about 15 trips to the DR, i quit counting :), and i've never stayed in an AI!

i could never see the attraction but then again everyone has their own idea of a good time.

i will definitely check out the Madejra...do you have the website address handy by chance?

A

apostropheman

i'm guessing it's the white building across from the Europa, to the east.
madejra1.jpg

Boca Chica Service - hotel in Boca Chica
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Direcci?n:Abrahan Nu?ez 1
Tel:1-809-523-4434
Fax:1-809-523-4532
[/FONT]
<table style="width: 164px; height: 58px;" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td background="images/normal.gif" width="359">
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Madejra [/FONT]​
</td> <td background="images/normal.gif" width="225">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="40" valign="top" width="21">
</td> <td height="40" valign="top" width="361">
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Hello,
Is the link you have here....to the place you paid 40$ a night(THE MADEJRA)?? And had the fabulous room on the 4th floor??? I'm thinking of doing a day trip to BC and am looking for a nice play to kick back and relax at.
Thanks

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would say el candil or costalunga which is a short walk from calle duarte. el caucho is a bit far to walk to the center of town especially at night. i've also heard that casa coco, hotel hamilton and hotel garant are nice also..

el-gringo74

Oct 21, 2007
I stay in the hotel madejra in July and I have to say I have been bad. The thieves have entered in my room has stolen me the suitcase and the money that me taenia in safe. Then the day later another client has also stolen at night to him the money and having asked to the osvaldo he didn't see anything. he was sleeping in the sofa. it was 2 in the morning. Then the mr. domenico has said that he doesn't answer of these robberies. In the madejra they don't go. This hotel doesn't have good security.

el-gringo74

Oct 21, 2007
This is because it's another administration. Before it didn't pass this with the old administration that was for the owner's son. Now the hotel madejra is not well negotiated and care because the security is very bad. There are hotels more beautiful. One is hotel EUROPA that is in the front and there is good security. The other ones are it: Costa Lunga, mango, casa coco , Gaucho. And they are economic and very clean. Sorry for my english. I'm french.

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Hi I may have to try that next trip. My spanish is getting better but I am not quite sure I could go it alone yet? This trip I will be alone (female) and I will be staying at the A.I. Barcelo Talanquera but I booked way in advance and got it for 58 dollars a night A.I. I have friends in Boca Chica and in St Pedro De Macoris( I hope I spelled that correctly). Just one question is the MADEJRA some place you would stay alone if you were an american female and feel safe? Gracias por tu ayuda.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
why risk it kimmir. I agree with Kyle and highly recommend both candil and costalunga. I've been in touch with a solo female traveler and she likes the calyspo.

I'd reather spend an extra 5 or 10 usd a night for places that are known for good security...especialy female and solo.

I think i would reccomend candil over costalunga for a female traveler. I've seen more single females and families at candil. and the common pool area is a nice place to mingle and meet other travelers.

just my opinion...i have not stayed at madera...but candil is still my "home" when in BC (even tho i miss the prior administration).

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
For a single female visiting BC, the challenge may be to find good security AND a non-monger environment (without going to an AI, that is). My wife and I were quite happy with the Madejra, and had no security concerns at all, but YMMV.

A solo-female is likely to be seeking 2 things - proximity to the beach, and a safe walk to/from dinner/drinks on Duarte after dark.

If my 20-something daughter were going to BC, I'd suggest the Madejra for those reasons... or maybe the Zapata (though it can be a bit dark 'tween it and the heart of Duarte). Candil would be fine, but I'd worry about a little about the Duarte walk after dark (and would NOT want her jumping on motos).

But then again, I'd probably not recommend BC to my solo-traveling daughter anyway. I'd probably encourage her to consider Cabarete or Sosua instead.

el-gringo74

Oct 21, 2007
DEAR MACHMASCER when the last time you have been to the madejra? before when it was the child of master it was well everything but now with the new manager him and very bad with her clients. I don't advise to go to the madejra suggestion to go to europa or candil or zapata. These hotels are good

el-gringo74

Oct 21, 2007
master's child gone away end April. I often speak on the phone with him. I have been to the madejra a lot of times. I returned once then alone with the new manager and not me and liked. However the fact stays that I to the madejra don't return there more if the child of the manager doesn't return

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Mac,
I loved your report, not only for the content, but for the way in which you wrote it.
Sounds like you had a pretty good time, despite the bad start.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Want to see the real DR

I am building a 2 bdrm guest house on the northwest frontier, watch for my ad in the classified around Jan. 2008. Maybe it will be finished by then...... Oh, what a dreamer I am.
dogstar

el-gringo74

Oct 21, 2007
in front of the madejra they break a glass of a car and they bring away him the stereo. Keeper sleeps. Italian report :rotto il
vetro della macchina di xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx,
parcheggiata di fronte all' hotel Madejra, por-
dosi via la radio e guardiano dorme. l' hotel madejra non e' responsabile.
This fu.. hotel never responsable.
Apart this the madejra doesn't have parking lot auto and always tells the clients it parks here of forehead that not problem