Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Last edited:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Surf is UP!

Cabarete surf is up as of this morning!! Some good stuff building from the ENE. Perhaps Fabian is pushing this stuff ahead of it?
Windsurfers reported a distinct change in sea conditions from yesterday.
The beach sands will soon be on the move again!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, indeed. Water show should be significant for Samana coastline as well. Weather service mentions this.

"Powerful Hurricane Fabian continues on a WNW course, sweeping just north of the northern Leeward Islands this afternoon. The most significant effect on the northern Leewards will be large swells and dangerous surf over the next couple of days. Heavy surf will also batter the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico."

See http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/stormdetails.html

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Bye Bye Fabian, we Hardly Knew 'Ye!

Originally posted by XanaduRanch 09-01-2003 at 7:29am
Still, a neat storm to watch! Now, if I were in Bermuda I might be a little more nervous ...
From the NHC 09-03-2003 at 11:00am
FABIAN IS THEN EXPECTED TO TURN TOWARD THE NORTH AND THEN NORTHEAST PASSING DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO BERMUDA BETWEEN 48 AND 72 HOURS.
What'd I tell 'ya? Huh?

Looks like the might pass within 50 miles of the west side of the island with tops winds of 100-130 mph at the time.

Tom (aka XR)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I suspect that the western Atlantic is cooler than normal, as exemplified by the wet, cool summer in the eastern US.

I also suspect that is why Fabian weakened as it approached, and that it will put a damper of sorts on future hurricanes this year.

We'll see.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No, not at all.

Fabian didn't weaken as it approcahed. It has begun to now though and will continue to from here on out as it is heading north. SST's are always cooler on the Atlantic side of the passage than to the south of the Caribbean. Lots of factors at play there, water mixing, water depth, latitude, salinity, etc. But nothing out of the ordinary here.

Further, SST's are only one small factor in hurricane strength or potential. Inner core dynamics are the most significant to a mature hurricane like Fabian absent shearing. Fabian has begun experiencing shear now, and the flow aloft will also become increasing unfavorable over the next few days as it rounds the ridge at the surface. Other significant factors include status and strength of the ENSO (eL Nino) in the South Pacific.

Tom (aka XR)

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete surf is now even better!!! High seas washing well up the beaches with some palm trees down at the west end of the bay. Some big surf out on the reef areas too - looks magnificent and a little angry!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I have nothing else to do I should head up to Jose O'Shea's for some wine and watch for an hour or so. I think I will! Who's wants to stop and visit with XR?

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Yes, Xanadu, there are many factors involved, but water temperature is certainly a big one, as you certainly know.

Remember Floyd. It gained strength even as it turned in the same general area, up to that point, as Fabian. Hugo also remained strong even as it got far north.

I believe that Fabian has faded much quicker than normal.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
XR,
So I switched off the box and went to the beach to find you? Made a right pratt of myself asking stupid tourists if their name was Tom and wandering about Jose O'Shea's humming Xanadu!!
Where were you?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
P and/or A

I was at Jose O'Shea's from about 4:30PM to 11:30PM. Talked to the owner, spent time with Chris and her husband. Where were you? Set another time and I will be sure to stop by!

Tom

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
surf's up

The time is Saturday at 4pm, the venue is Jose O'Shea - to meet.

The surf is way up - We can hear the surf roar from our house about 2 kilometers up the mountain - We can see the ocean from our house, but yesterday and today, we can see the breakers smashing down out on the reef. I was in Puerto Plata yesterday and the beach area with the big breakers looked like my home town, Cape Town - aka The Cape of Storms.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chatting with the owner at Jose O'Shea's yesterday he said that around noontime (must have been at high tide) the waves were right up to the cement steps at the bar, and that waves out inside the bay were a good 15-18 feet. By the time I got there around 4-4:30 it was rough and mean looking and the becah was covered with seaweed/grass/kelp. You could see tons of it in every wave rolling in too. Not the pretty Cabarete beach we're used to seeing.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Camden Tom

Everything seems OK?? Paul wandered by early this morning with the dogs and he noted that one of your new palms is totally gone and that the foundations for your beach steps are slightly suffering from erosion! Other than that it all looks OK.
Will keep an eye open and look again later or early tomorrow.
Peter, Paul & Alex
(Not so lucky the new under construction resort complex to the west of Caracol - the new expensive wooden fence is completely gone and washed away to parts unknown!! A couple more palms down too. Miko will be pleased to hear that I'm impressed with the Nanny Estate new sea wall, despite my earlier misgivings, it's still there but we'll have to have a closer look when the sea drops).

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
XR,
Must have just missed you?? Was there until exactly 5.00pm as I only had a 2 hour pass from er indoors. Sat right in front of Frank on a table on the deck. Joined by 2 friends, 1 shaven head and covered in tattoos and Russel who sings at O'Sheas in the evenings (middle aged hippy with long hair and pony tail)! How could you miss us? Still the Presidente was good and the view fantastic if a little dirty.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
It's Still There ...

We'll let you know how the place fares after Isabel passes by on Monday, Tom. Hopefully the Vikings will beat the Bears to keep your mind off of things. It's looking a little better! The weather forecast that is, not the football prognostication!

Fabian's long gone.

THREAD CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.