Tropical Storm Fay ... was ... Tropical Weather Disturbance

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Los Cacicazgos, Santo Domingo 13:40 Saturday

Still very heavy showers here most of the morning. Not too much wind now though. I feared to lose the 50-foot Japanese Fir tree in my front yard overnight but it's still safe.

Not the same can be said for the big ficus right across the street. That came down during the early hours of the morning - torn right out of the sidewalk uprooting the concrete path into a small mountain for a couple of yards each side. The fallen tree now completely blocking the street and my gateway so I can't drive out. Brought down some overhead cables but fortunately not my power or phone lines, looks like TV cable but I don't have cable TV so that's OK with me.

I just went out earlier this morning with a machete to hack away some of the foliage so I wouldn't have to climb through the branches to walk over to the colmado on the corner.

The ladies in the salon across the street (the tree was right outside their door) reported it to the municipality early this morning, but so far it's still there. Some enterprising neighbours have tried to chop off a few branches to clear a path but they gave up when they got too wet from the rain.

Well I wasn't planning to travel anywhere today, just as well. I guess the city lumberjacks are either on holiday or have too much to do on more major streets, so our quite little side street is going to be traffic free for the duration - small mercies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Matilda, absolutely splendid that you offered shelter to so many people. Kudos!

Newspapers reporting one fatality & 2 missing in Higuey, unfortunately.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=179754&guid=E60388CE29BB4F1D9D21B00001ECEAA0&Seccion=63

And in English
CANOE -- CNEWS - World: One dead, two missing in Dominican Republic from tropical storm flooding

North coast got off very lightly on this one, but rise of river levels could follow in a day or two.

P.S. Yes thank you Chris for the opportunity to discuss further. It'll need to be when I have a little more time - thank you I had seen your answer but it was that which prompted my question :cheeky:. I'm not sure if this is the 'if a leaf falls in the forest & no-one hears it, did it make a noise' quantum physics issue or something different. But............let's wait until the time is suitable for an instructive discussion - maybe after hurricane season 'busy period' has left us?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would just say I was under the impression that this was a. just a depression and b. going to you lucky guys in the North. I am never one to over exaggerate a storm. But luckily at 5.30pm I checked out Caribbean Hurricane Network - stormCARIB.com - Local Reports on Tropical Systems threatening the Caribbean Islands which is my favoutie and it does a thing on time and closest point. So by then it was a tropical storm so I thout I would just check and it said it would be in Santo Domingo at 8pm. So I called husband and said get your arse home - which surprisingly he did, called the colamdo and said send the staff home and shut which they were very happy to do, and bang on 7 it was here. So now I am seen as some sort of amazing guru but it was just thanks to that website. To be honest it was a lot worse here than Noel, and a lot of people are still cleaning up.

Matilda

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
You got it Matilda. People need to know these things are out there. Even when they're close, the course guidance, strength and timing can be off by 100+ miles. So, the more that are aware, the better.

One doesn't need to exaggerate the storms, but people should know they're out there if they're anywhere in the vicinity. I went thru Andrew in Miami which was a major event as well as other minor storms. Panic is not necessary... just awareness and appropriate action.

Here on the north coast around Cabarete we ended up with what amounted to not much more than 24 hours of clouds, a little wind, and a tiny bit of rain.

Glad to hear you & yours made it thru safely.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You got it Matilda. People need to know these things are out there. Even when they're close, the course guidance, strength and timing can be off by 100+ miles. So, the more that are aware, the better.

One doesn't need to exaggerate the storms, but people should know they're out there if they're anywhere in the vicinity. I went thru Andrew in Miami which was a major event as well as other minor storms. Panic is not necessary... just awareness and appropriate action.

Here on the north coast around Cabarete we ended up with what amounted to not much more than 24 hours of clouds, a little wind, and a tiny bit of rain.

Thanks CFA123

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And in spite of all the warnings on radio and television and in the papers, there were 4 deaths associated with the storm.
Matilda did good work...You just can't be too careful.

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

exactly right,
the point where a center really hits can vary a lot at the last moment ans the further pad can even be the opposite of the expected one once a storm touches landmass, specially mountain ranges.
til the last moment i saw on weather sites that 92L is expected to wander over samana along the north coast, by that same time it was standing in the middle of the Mona Passgae and did move straight over on a straight west course, landfall on the east/south east coast wandering along the south coast, that's why puerto plata aso on the north received less winds and rain than expected. now it is a Florida problem/threat awaited for a landfall in the area Naples-Tampa Bay tomorrow, power fast increasing, may going to be a category 1 huricane when it hits there.
let's watch 94L for the next days, same location than 93L been born, nearly same non favorable surrounding conditions, so let's hope it will go the same way, turning the same northern path over open atlantic waters and die down. if not it could be the next surprise for the upcoming weekend. 28C+ temps there are sorrily really favorable to grow up one after an other at the moment south west of the Cap Verde Islands, but conditions on their west course towards our island do still not much favor a grow up of formation towards a Big Boy.
i could sorrily not join your chats thursday night and during friday, internet access been up and down and on a very bad speed. you guys did a great job to inform each others from the different areas on the island, great postings.
all the best to everybody
Mike

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The weather patterns are also strange and are making history that surprises those who watch weather. Fay made a record of 4 landfalls in Florida. I'm sure some of you have seen something like this before, but I have not.

Fay is now history. ;)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ooh yes Chris,
Fay been very special in it movements/behaviors.
the 4 landfalls in Florida are a new record for a tropical storm,
over Florida it stood still for long hours without weakening,
even increased strength over Land.
the weather underground named that Formation before it became named Fay the "Joker", because far before it became a tropical storm it made very strange movements/changes on it's way Puerto Rico-Dominican Republic.
Fay is history 'at the moment',
so let's keep an eye on Invest 94L,
doesn't look like any danger for Punta Cana,
but there are still chances of a more northerly direction than the actual, that would bring again a tough time to the southwest of the Dominican Republic.
Mike

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mike, seems to me they are all special these days. :paranoid:
And standing still without weakening and strengthening over land as we saw last year in the DR. Funny stuff man! Never did I see strengthening over land, but now I see it!