Tropical Storm Ivan

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
chuckg said:
Help !

My daughter was scheduled to fly out of DR Punta Cana yesterday at 10:30 AM USA3000 flt 919 to pittsburgh, pa -> then on to Spain. I can not determine if the flight took place and have not heard from her in (2) days. ANy help with flight information or weather yesterday; cancelled fiights etc greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank You!

Chuckg :nervous: :nervous:

email chauqg@yahoo.com

Chuckg

Ivan was not a weather concern in Punta Cana.

US Air flight 919 is out of Washington (Nat'l) Reagan to Columbus, OH.

The PUJ airport was operating yesterday, business as usual. There was US Air flight no.798 to Charlotte, NC in the pm.

I do hope she is OK and does call you.

Regards,
PJT

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Except for high waves on the South Coast and some thunderstorms, Ivan did not affect the DR at all.

chuckg said:
Help !

My daughter was scheduled to fly out of DR Punta Cana yesterday at 10:30 AM USA3000 flt 919 to pittsburgh, pa -> then on to Spain. I can not determine if the flight took place and have not heard from her in (2) days. ANy help with flight information or weather yesterday; cancelled fiights etc greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank You!

Chuckg :nervous: :nervous:

email chauqg@yahoo.com

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It appears that some 800 British Holidaymakers were airlifted out of Jamaica on Thursday night & re hotel'd in Puerto Plata. One report has come to me (& there may be others I have NOT yet heard of) that in one hotel many of those brought in had ganged together & given the Tour Rep a shoting match!! Seems that the hotel they were in was not as luxurious as their Sandals Hotel in Jamaica & they were demanding to be taken BACK!!!!

My view??? If you can find an airline pilot stupid enough to risk the flight, SEND them back!!! 150 PLUS mph winds, rain coming down in buckets & causing serious flooding (it appears the coast road is already GONE in places so how would some of them GET to their hotels even if they are still standing). These tourists should be THANKFUL that the Tour company acted so swiftly & determindly to make sure their clients were got out before the hurricane hit!!

I HOPE I am given the opportunity of going to speak to them!!! - Grahame.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pib said:
Ouch! for my tocaya. I hope she is OK.

Isn't e-mail amazing? I got this reply to the message I sent this morning:

thanks for the message - it's nice to hear from people and that they are concerned but we have been fine and look can still email! this is because the phone network has kept going throughout and we have a generator so are able to keep connected - which has been a great comfort for my family back home! the winds in the night were extraordinary - i have never experienced anything like it. But we were spared the worst because the eye moved away at the last moment - good old jamaica scared a hurricane off again! Now Caymans and Cuba have to worry. I suspect the devastation here will be appalling and long term but I feel it could have been worse.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chris said:
............ Let's hope Ivan is the last of the season for all of us.

We can HOPE Chris but I think this is most unlikely!! Check with your "weather pundits" about the history of hurricanes for this area & you will see that OUR season is just starting - 2nd/3rd week of September!!! You will also notice that the season lasts until end of October & has been known to go on until end of November!! Heck, last year we had a freak one hit Nagua in 1st week of December!!!

Sorry to put realism back into life folks but we need to be aware of hurricane possibilities & keep our heads down for another 6/7 weeks at least. My boards for the windows will not be mothballed for another 8 weeks at least!! - Grahame.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
BushBaby said:
It appears that some 800 British Holidaymakers were airlifted out of Jamaica on Thursday night & re hotel'd in Puerto Plata. One report has come to me (& there may be others I have NOT yet heard of) that in one hotel many of those brought in had ganged together & given the Tour Rep a shoting match!! Seems that the hotel they were in was not as luxurious as their Sandals Hotel in Jamaica & they were demanding to be taken BACK!!!!

My view??? If you can find an airline pilot stupid enough to risk the flight, SEND them back!!! 150 PLUS mph winds, rain coming down in buckets & causing serious flooding (it appears the coast road is already GONE in places so how would some of them GET to their hotels even if they are still standing). These tourists should be THANKFUL that the Tour company acted so swiftly & determindly to make sure their clients were got out before the hurricane hit!!

I HOPE I am given the opportunity of going to speak to them!!! - Grahame.
Are you sure "rastamen" and "ganya" might not be two keywords here? By the way, did you mean "shooting" or "shouting" match?

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hacenda Tropical Hotel

Yesterday Hacenda Hotel registerd 206 rooms of Brits who thought they were on there merry way to Cuba, I was Informed that over 2000 extra people had been brought to the DR. (Pto.Pta.) by the travel reps as it was thought to be the safest place for these people.
Its odd in a way because out of some bad allways comes some good! Look at what this will do for the Dominican economy this week! ( High season in Sept.)
Never seen it since I have been here, as I write this I'm getting ready to go to work on Sunday to cash in on this "pheomenon"
It should be a definate boost for Puerto Plata, not to mention the rest of the Courntry!

Gringo

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dolores said:
The 5 pm track shows Ivan slightly lower to the south, better for the DR. Of course the hurricane is too far away... will have to continue the monitoring till it passes us.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...harts&product=HurTrack2&prodnav=none&pid=none

Also see http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200409_strike.html for strike probability.

The UKMET model has it going to Yucatan, which means a more southern course which would avoid the DR. See http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200409_model.html

Just for the record... Recall having made this post about Yucatan being in danger at the time the DR braced itself for a hit by Ivan (dated 6 September). The UKMET model seems to have been the right one. When the hurricane was originally forecast to hit the DR, they came out indicating that it would keep a westernly track and threatened Yucatan, instead of turning to the north. Definitely, we must also watch their forecasts along with those of the NHC of the US.

The real truth of this is that all of us who live in the Atlantic Basin just have to be prepared for the big ones. We have to be prepared to prevent damage, and then to clean up and move on.