Tropical Storm Odette: It's not the end!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Two or three miles inland from the Malecon things are definitely livening up. Rain AND a fairly strong wind, after 24 hours of intermittent rain and very still air. The power has gone on and off several times after a couple of weeks of more or less constant supply.

Check your drains if you haven't already done so!

Batten down the hatches...

Chiri

Anna_On_Holiday

Nov 20, 2003
Light rain right now in Sosua. Not windy yet. Maybe I'll have to stay longer if Toronto closes down the airport. Fat change of that happening.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Zonz Colonial report

Power went down for about 15 minutes but its back on for now.
The wind was really moving the giant tree in front of the apartment but right now its not moving that much.
Can't see the sea now but can only imagine that theres some waves.
The rain comes hard then eases up, but its blowing right under my balcony door. Duct tape isnt sticking!
Not many cars in the Malecon. Not many cars parked in the street either. Where did they all go?
Ohoh...spoke too soon..maybe I jinxed it! The rain is picking up, blowing in all directions. The tree is really dancing now!

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Still only light rain here at Xanadu on the north coast. We're sort of having a little sad hurricane party here. Jose, and a few of his friends who work for me on and off and whomight have problems if there is flooding are here, bribed with cheap wine, cold Presidentes, and food. Sat photos look like another hour or two and we'll start getting the heavy rains. We've got gas for the generators, and more alcohol on the way for the night we're all set. And having fun ... stay safe everyone and enjoy the show!

Tom (aka XR)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It started to rain

I mean really rain, at 8:30 p.m. According to the plot that I looked at it seems that Ken is right and it will pass right over the house.

Still no real breezes. The Civil Defense teams are taking people from the very low lying areas, like under the bridge--See dms' photos below: Flooding in Santiago..

What is truly worrying is the slow pace of the storm--7 mph/11km per hour. That will let it dump a lot of water on the mountains and valleys.. Not good....

Still crossing fingers and toes...

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My parents came over tonight to admire the tree. Pops mentioned Odette! Hope everyone makes it through safe and sound with no damage.

Here we are expecting the first "big one"--24 inches forecasted!

What weather!!

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
10:30 pm Cabarete: we had light rain all day on and off, no winds yet. But this will change in a couple of hrs.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
110PM Santo Domingo (Ozama) The rain started to pick up at about 7:30 and then started to get going at about 8PM. It was coming down in sheets. At about 10P the rain stopped and while it was still windy there was no rain.

The rain started back up at about 10:45PM. It is raining like crazy around here. The wind has also picked up some speed. There is no traffic out on the streets. Everyone seems settled in for the duration.

Last edited:

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
11:30 pm La Romana update

Well..we've just experienced gusts of wind...our guestament at or around 50+. Lots of rain.. more rain...fantastic humungous (sp?) high battering waves. HUGE! They were crashing high...we were on the second story and they were right below our height of course we weren't above them..20' I'd say. Son thinks they are cool and would've stayed out all night to watch if I'd let him..but too windy and rainy.

Good luck...if it's headed your way..it's a wet and windy one. Wish my camera was here instead of SDQ...dang no pictures to show off...people won't believe me when I tell them how high the waves were crashing.

Night for now am anxious to read the morning report!

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
0:20 am, Cabarete

the light rain is getting a little bit stronger in the last 30 min, also a little bit wind now, but so far only 20 mph.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
00.30 hrs Sun. Bavaro/Punta Cana It has been raining here since Sat am. Bands of showers of varying intensity during the day and evening. I hazard a guess of receiving up to about 3-4" of rain to this time and quite possibly much more. It is so very wet here the humidity has humidity. There have been wind gusts up to about 20 mph / 32 kph. If it continues like this through today, this part of the island may be getting off easy. I wish you all a safe day this Sunday and my prayers go out tonight for the rest of the island. Regards, PJT

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
where is that storm?

3:45 am Cabarete:
I just woke up thinking something is wrong... oh yes, aren't we supposed to have a storm this night? Where is it? It's very very quiet here, absolutely no wind, even the rain has stopped. Sat pics look like Odette is still on the south part of the island, moving to the east instead of towards us?
Well, I'm going back to bed, I'm sure I will wake up when the situation changes here. hope everybody is fine in the south, south/east.

quaqualita

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
La Romana

We're still having gusts of winds and I hear it is raining in parts of the city. The ocean is a mess still...large battering waves and dirty. My yard is ok...few trees down..won't be able to tell where the lawn is burned until a few days. I expect the wind to continue for the rest of the day.

I don't see any commenary yet this am...am curious what's up out there. Hillbilly...did you get some storm? Tom you should be about getting something now if not already. Word of mouth says Barahona took a beating. Can't find nothing on CDN. Oh well..hope all's well on the other side.

Lynn

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We woke up to sun, slight overcast

No breeze. No rain.

We went to sleep last night to heavy rain, but no wind.

Odette peter out?

Edited: I was just looking at the satellite images and i think that Odette turned right and did not follow the predicted path but rather went much further East than Northeast! What do you think Tom? From what LynnCox is saying, it seems they got a lot more out of the storm than any of us did...

HB

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is how the Beeb is reporting it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3298133.stm

The full force hit last SD night between 12 - 2 am I think, but I was sleeping pretty soundly. Everything seems fairly normal this morning, and there are even a few chinks of blue sky and sunlight, the first since Wednesday.

Chiri

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
10:00 hrs Sunday, Bavaro / Punta Cana The rain and wind stopped sometime before dawn. There is overcast at this time, with the sun trying to peek through on occasion. Hope the sun wins. Damage, there is really nothing to report. The neighbor's lot is a little lake, expect it to disappear by tomorrow. Regards, PJT

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
no storm event on the Northcoast

allthough http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200320.html shows that Odette's path went more or less right over us here in Cabarete, I really can't confirm this.
Last night right after I posted how quiet it is here, it started to rain a little bit again and some wind came up - but gusts never reached more than 20 mph. This morning there is sun shine with a light breeze... so I would say a perfect beach day.
I would say, too, that the storm did not go the path how described in public advisories and discussions. Regarding your reports from the south and east and looking at the sat pics it looks much more, that the storm turned to the east and went 'around' us here on the Northcoast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I left Santiago at nearly 10:00 a.m.

It was sunny! Going East to Tamboril I ran into heavy rains and drizzles. Seems to be clearing a bit. Still no wind to mention.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
According to the 10 am EST report of the NHC, Odette is out in the Atlantic Ocean and moving further away. It has lost much of its form and is rapidly merging with a cold front.

Let's hope this is the last weather surprise this year.

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
Yeah the post that stated earlier that the storm was worse in the wee hours of the morning is correct. The wind and rain really picked up around 1-2AM. It was blowing like crazy and it was hard to see very far.
The rain was coming down in torrents. Luckily we have no damage here.