Trouble at Perla Marina

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It seems as if there are problems with over-development at the Perla Marina community between Sosua and Cabarete:

"MISSING URBANISATION PLANS AND A CHANGE IN HOW PLANNING APPROVALS ARE BEING MADE IN PERLA MARINA

Since the current Perla Marina Board was elected, a number of people have questioned how it is possible developers are building multiple houses on lots supposed to be for one house.
This was something that was happening before the new
board but has continued and accelerated since election.
Its taken a while and several meetings with Ayuntomiento to get to the point where Perla Marina HOA can explain to members and homeowners what is happening, but the attached documents in English and Spanish will hopefully help everyone
understand the change that is being forced upon the urbanisation by developers interests and Ayuntomiento’s interpretation of the planning laws.
For anyone who owns a house in Perla Marina the changes are going to be significant and sadly detrimental to your financial investment (unless of course you are planning to sell your land and title to a developer).
The actions of one particular developer have already resulted in a significant loss of nature and as that same developer is actively seeking to purchase more land in Perla Marina for further developments it is likely the loss of nature will continue (if not
accelerate).
For those of us that own property in Perla Marina and purchased here to enjoy the magical blend of nature and living, it will be difficult to comprehend how developers can be given the authorisation to destroy the original concept of the urbanisation in the way that is being currently permitted – but that is where we currently are at."

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just think about how La Cienaga was built on public wetlands by filling it in with thousands of truckloads of fill and it will give you a clue as to how this can happen in a place like Perla Marina.

And it appears that the Perla Marina planning board just didn't care about planning. I am certainly not surprised this is happening.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
For those of us that own property in Perla Marina and purchased here to enjoy the magical blend of nature and living, it will be difficult to comprehend how developers can be given the authorisation to destroy the original concept of the urbanisation in the way that is being currently permitted – but that is where we currently are at."

Rules For Thee but Not for Me​

Everyone who constructed a house or invested in real estate destroyd a piece of nature.
With the rise of the tourist and construction industry a lot of campesinos came and settled in areas like La Cienega and so ruining a big part of this unique eco system.
What you complain about are the logic consequences of your prior decision.
Now it is difficult, if not impossible, to get the ghost back in the bottle.

Good luck.

Alexander

Reactions: windeguy

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would just like to make it clear that I did not write the text above. I only copied a piece from the Everything Perla Marina Facebook Group.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Possible expansion and tourist developments on the North Coast.
Not only Perla Marina and Punta Bergantin along with other projects Playa Dorada to Puerto Plata.

Hopefully water supply and sewage treatment plants are included in the important tourist developments.
Including electricity infrastructure and roads.

Tax revenues from tourism with infrastructure investments.
Where dreams may collide with realities outside of your door.
As Cristo stated in post #6
Live, look and decide on existing realities, before you leap.

A lot of potential, if governed correctly.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
All the land in Perla Marina should be under the control of the HOA. How did they let this get out of control in the first place?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are three government offices that normally need to approve new construction. It was a while ago, so I don't recall their names, but I think one was Urban Planning , or something like that. Those government offices are unrelated to whatever a community wants or does not want, like Perla Marina and their apparently dysfunctional committee

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's called "greasing the skids".
Line the right palms and you can build whatever you want.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There are three government offices that normally need to approve new construction. It was a while ago, so I don't recall their names, but I think one was Urban Planning , or something like that. Those government offices are unrelated to whatever a community wants or does not want, like Perla Marina and their apparently dysfunctional committee
The Board of Parla Marina HOA have been working extremely hard to try to resolve this situation on behalf of the Residents, and have had multiple meetings with all parties involved with legal advisors present. I know it has been very time-consuming and stressful for them working against powerful interests and I am sure they will appreciate being called "apparently dysfunctional" for their trouble.