Trouble at PP airport...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
To each their own

Please do not do this when when you walk into Rockys and I introduce my friends to you while they are sitting there with me. Please do not disrespect them as if they are some sort of joke or toy you can play with for a few hundred pesos.

My friendships were forged over many years while these guys were nobody but junior officers and college students. I grew with these guys, been to their daughter' s and son's baptisms birthday parties, their grandparents funerals, their promotions and sometimes failures as well. I've seen them happy, sad, when they are up and when they are down. I have been deep into the campo to visit their families as I have also been to their luxury penthouse apartments in Santo Domingo. I have visited their families along with them in Miami, New York etc. These friends of influence I speak about are doctors, lawyers, businessmen, professors and military officers that have univeristy degrees, money in the bank, visas and influencial family in the states.

I am not writing about some clown you just met in an airport and slipped him a few hundred pesos to play a joke on a friend? I am talking about people that I have been friends with for many, many years. There is a very big difference here! I did not buy these men and women. I earned their respect as they respect me as well!

Now let me write this again. Be friendly with people of authority (that doesn't mean to kiss their arse). It doesn't mean to play jokes with them either. You just never know where that lowly Lt. or agent might be promoted to in ten or twenty years.

If you are a once or twice a year AI wannabe or a bigshot something or other that needs nobody, good for you! I am not writing about you! I am writing about the everyday people that simply want to travel in and out of this country unmolested but constantly get harassed and are looking for help.

To each their own...

Jeeeesh

Last edited:

chica_dominicana

Jul 6, 2006
hi
I just returned from my 14th visit to Puerto Plata. I never had any problem with getting in or getting out of the country. When coming it they just have a quick eye on my passport and with luggage check we never have to open our luggage people in front of us and in the back, do have to open all their luggage and it is checked, they just wink us and we can go on. With leaving the country the same, never a luggage check passport and immigration goes very fast, they only sometimes jokes and ask why we are leaving and not just stay after seeing all those stamps from dominican republic.
Our secret? I guess when we are in line either for passport or luggage check, we always stay patient, have a lot of fun and smile very friendly to the security people.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
This is what we do

chica_dominicana said:
hi
I just returned from my 14th visit to Puerto Plata. I never had any problem with getting in or getting out of the country. When coming it they just have a quick eye on my passport and with luggage check we never have to open our luggage people in front of us and in the back, do have to open all their luggage and it is checked, they just wink us and we can go on. With leaving the country the same, never a luggage check passport and immigration goes very fast, they only sometimes jokes and ask why we are leaving and not just stay after seeing all those stamps from dominican republic.
Our secret? I guess when we are in line either for passport or luggage check, we always stay patient, have a lot of fun and smile very friendly to the security people.

I am law enforcement in the US since 1982. So what, big deal, it is really no big deal at all. I get in line for my security check, take off my shoes, follow their instructions as dumb as it may seem but I smile, say something pleasant even if they aren't. I show my passport so many times I might as well paste it on my forehead!!!

When I return I am scrutinized as if I am a criminal, sniffed by their drug dogs ordered around and asked some dumb questions and have my bags yanked open exposing my personal things. I answer them and I smile, smile, smile just like everyone else!!! I am talking about my country, the US of A. I don't complain because this is the way it is. If I don't like it I can stop traveling.

This is what we are expected to do whether we are in the safety of our own country or visiting somewhere else.

Nice post, keep enjoying those winks and smiles!

Last edited:

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
DominicanScotty said:
If you are a once or twice a year AI wannabe

Thanks for alienating a large percentage of the visitors to this website. That comment was TOTALLY uncalled for.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
If you are offended, my humble apology

CommTHOR said:
Thanks for alienating a large percentage of the visitors to this website. That comment was TOTALLY uncalled for.

There was a bit of sarcasm displayed in that post I must admit. If you were offended and alienated please except my profound apologies. I do not claim to represent DR1 it's members, moderators or Robert it's founder. Robert can and has deleted past posts I have made. I know the rules here, believe me I have paid my dues. Members have the right to disagree with what I write as well, just as you have. I am expressing my opinion, I am not mentioning names and I will continue to express my opinion.

Now with that said and done. I will write it again that if you are an "AI wannabe" or a "bigshot something or other" I am NOT writing about YOU.

Perhaps I should explain what an "AI wannbe" is. An "AI wannabe" is someone that goes directly to an AI in their little shuttle bus with that wagging luggage trailer behind it. Boy do I get a kick out of those guys. These people don't bring any revenue to us business people outside of that consordium run pile of garbage!!!

DR1 is made up of tourists that wish to get OUT of that AI and Ex Pats that welcome them and wish to share their paradise with them.

(After all, if you are a member of this wonderful site then you are one of those great people that want to get out of that AI so I would not think you are an "AI wannbe".)

You getting this so far? Now..... once there in their AI they never come out of it yet will write all over this message board about how much of an expert they are regarding the DR. If you are NOT an "AI wannbe" then I was not writing about you. If you are then again, I must take this moment to say I am sorry that I offended you.

Now those "big shot something or others" are the ones that think they own the island because they think they are whatever their fat heads told them they are. Completely full of themself and their own over inflated egos. They don't need us or anyone else because after all, they are "big shot something or others". However, they have a right to do as they please too. I wasn't posting about them either.

Your post that what I wrote is "uncalled for" is "your opinion". I respect it and you have a right to it. See? I am not offended, you shouldn't be either.

Welcome to the boards!

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i agree. carry a second piece of id. i never get hassled but they ask me a lot of questions also because i too am not white and have to present a second piece of id just to prove i am american and not dominican.

maybe this is a running feud between foreigners and dominicans ?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Kyle said:
i agree. carry a second piece of id. i never get hassled but they ask me a lot of questions also because i too am not white and have to present a second piece of id just to prove i am american and not dominican.

maybe this is a running feud between foreigners and dominicans ?

I don't know how many times I have to say this. The times that this has happened to me I was also with at LEAST 3 others who DID have their NYS drivers licenses and we were all taken to the little office to see Captain Crunch.
Do you get it now? The extra ID DID NOT HELP(I AM CAPITALIZING THIS FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED).

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
chica_dominicana said:
hi

That's your secret? Gee, I'll try that next. What a stupid response.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As I mentioned before, Berzin, a 2nd floor visit might cure the problem, and if you need my Spanish, I will go there with you.

chica_dominicana

Jul 6, 2006
Berzin said:
That's your secret? Gee, I'll try that next. What a stupid response.

for us it work out very well, never trouble and always can pass without opening our luggage and just a quick look at our passport and I do not have a white skin. After a stay from two weeks in the dominican republic everybody thinks that I am a dominican girl and start speaking to me in spanish.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
my experiences so far with POP,STI, and SDO are fairly tame. The only place I have had a slight problem was in POP leaving.One time the guy checking carry on luggage and screening people wanted a gift out of my stuff (a camera). I pointed to the sign behind him saying no bribes and he pushed me through. I like the idea of first carrying a pen and paper ( you should have a pen to fill out the forms for customs anyhow). If some personnel gives you trouble first I would make it clear you are taking down their badge # and name.If it is upon entry I would make a trip to the 2nd floor and find the supervisor and explain to him that this employee is no good for tourism in the country.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Another gem...

chica_dominicana said:
for us it work out very well, never trouble and always can pass without opening our luggage and just a quick look at our passport and I do not have a white skin. After a stay from two weeks in the dominican republic everybody thinks that I am a dominican girl and start speaking to me in spanish.

Let me see if I understand you correctly-you're saying that what I should do is spend two weeks in the DR and get brown enough to have everyone think I'm dominican. Then while I'm at it get a sex change operation at the Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo and try to merengue my way past every single line I encounter at the airport-because that seems to work for YOU.
And as we all know, dominicans NEVER get hassled by customs agents at the airport. :bunny:
Well honey, I'm never going to get that tan, I don't plan on a sex change operation and I can't dance merengue. NEXT!!!!

chica_dominicana

Jul 6, 2006
you are very funny berzin
I can imagine when you express yourself to customs in the same way you just did on this forum, that they want to have a chat with you.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
chica_dominicana said:
you are very funny berzin
I can imagine when you express yourself to customs in the same way you just did on this forum, that they want to have a chat with you.

Just bustin' chops, mi cielo. Don't take it seriously. ;)

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
DominicanScotty: Seriously, No offense taken at all. Thanks for the lecture ;) Sarcasm aside, a lot of those people who visit the AI's end up falling in love with the country. (Like I did) "Talking down" to an AI patron isn't right. A lot of people who come across this board aren't "DR1er's" yet - they are researching their trip, and belittling them isn't proper. Either that or I had too many beers last night and was in one of my "give someone a hard time" moods... hahah...

The only real issues I've had at POP in my 2 trips so far have both been odd.

1st time, the security guy took my cigarette lighter saying it wasn't allowed. Odd, since I wasn't flying to the US, but I really wasn't going to get in an argument over a half filled Bic. The wife gave me her spare 5 minutes later.

Last time I was flying out the immigration official made the wife and I fill out the blue tourist forms again - the same ones we had filled out and they had taken upon arrival. (They are blue now? They were green the time before - do they change yearly?) Seemed a bit redundant and unusual as they were asking "how long are you staying" and such.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
they just changed again, you don't have to fill anything out anymore, which makes sense b/c nobody reads them anyway. all they want is the $10.00 - i wonder where that money really goes:confused:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Sorry to have beat them up

CommTHOR said:
DominicanScotty: Seriously, No offense taken at all. Thanks for the lecture ;) Sarcasm aside, a lot of those people who visit the AI's end up falling in love with the country. (Like I did) "Talking down" to an AI patron isn't right. A lot of people who come across this board aren't "DR1er's" yet - they are researching their trip, and belittling them isn't proper. Either that or I had too many beers last night and was in one of my "give someone a hard time" moods... hahah...

The only real issues I've had at POP in my 2 trips so far have both been odd.

1st time, the security guy took my cigarette lighter saying it wasn't allowed. Odd, since I wasn't flying to the US, but I really wasn't going to get in an argument over a half filled Bic. The wife gave me her spare 5 minutes later.

Last time I was flying out the immigration official made the wife and I fill out the blue tourist forms again - the same ones we had filled out and they had taken upon arrival. (They are blue now? They were green the time before - do they change yearly?) Seemed a bit redundant and unusual as they were asking "how long are you staying" and such.

It is frustrating for a local businessman to see these buses full of potential clients zipping by their places of business. AIs are not doing anyone a service by doing what they do. They lie to these people and tell them horrific stories of muggings, kidnappings and murder to keep them from leaving. Money does not even trickle to the local community from these greedy consordiums. My disgust really isn't with the tourists it is with these AIs and what they practice.

I do get a big charge out of the "know it alls" that post on here. They wander out of an AI a couple of miles with their sankie/puta/tour guide/whatever and the next thing everyone knows...they are experts. These are what I refer to as "AI wannabes". Sorry for getting on my "high horse" the other night and glad you saw through it all. Nuff said!

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How did this thread's topic change to AI resorts?
What about this poor guy being harrassed at the airport?
Once more, I offer my services, Berzin, if your Spanish is not great, I would be glad to go with you.
If push comes to shove, I do have some contacts, but prefer to do it the proper way, so that you can breeze through there in the future, without any problems.
A bit of courtesy and respect shown to the gran jefe, and I believe all will be resolved and you will probably leave there with a new friend.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Sorry to change the topic

Rocky said:
How did this thread's topic change to AI resorts?
What about this poor guy being harrassed at the airport?
Once more, I offer my services, Berzin, if your Spanish is not great, I would be glad to go with you.
If push comes to shove, I do have some contacts, but prefer to do it the proper way, so that you can breeze through there in the future, without any problems.
A bit of courtesy and respect shown to the gran jefe, and I believe all will be resolved and you will probably leave there with a new friend.

Now try pushing the "PM" button to your buddy Marc.

Back on topic, we are talking about people that have had trouble with authorities at airports.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Let me make my questions a little more direct. They may be rhetorical seeing as people in positions of authority seem to make up their own rules as they go along in the DR-

1) It is my understanding that to get on any international flight all I need is my passport. Are they allowed to ask me for further identification and NOT tell me why?

2) If I've been through the same airport a few times(with the stamps on my passport to prove it) why the need to pull out a magnifying glass to examine the document? What exactly are they looking for, especially if I go to the DR a few times a year?

I feel regardless of where I am that I can ask why I am being asked for more identification to prove who I am. I am never rude or obnoxious. I ask once and never get a response, which I feel is rude but I never press the issue, but enough is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.