Trump taps Florida billionaire as ambassador to DR

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
We're at a page 7 because some people wish to discuss it, within the rules of the forum. There are other threads if it's too toxic for you. I'm not being snarky, but some people don't mind discussing it without resorting to throwing nerf grenades at each other. Good conversation and debate is healthy, avoiding it isn't.

I prefer being part of the silent majority. Recent events around the world indicate that most feel the same way. Why engage with people who feel that they are morally superior and that they are bastions of virtue ? It is like speaking to the worst religious fanatic.

May 29, 2006
Do Ambassadors usually speak the local language?  I'd be shocked if they do. I always assumed they have translators.  Obviously, Spanish is a common language, but look at the rest of the world. Did Brewster speak Spanish?

May not speak Spanish, but I bet she plays golf and tennis. Prob more useful. Casa de Campo is going to do well by her. Perhaps she can facilitate a new resort or two...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
She does not speak Spanish per her Linkedin but speaks Fench, some Russian and limited German. If you have skills in three foreign languages then it should be easy to obtain some degree of working proficiency in Spanish.

She speaks the language of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, That is the only reason she is being appointed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She speaks the language of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, That is the only reason she is being appointed.

True that. She is being rewarded for sticking with Trump through the Republican convention, and was an important cog in his support in Florida. She does have a degree in international relations, and she knows real estate and property development, as well as finance. She certainly knows the people with money that would invest and develop property in the DR. I am sure she could be very diplomatic in providing a solution for the 30 day tourist visa issue.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I prefer being part of the silent majority. Recent events around the world indicate that most feel the same way. Why engage with people who feel that they are morally superior and that they are bastions of virtue ? It is like speaking to the worst religious fanatic.

Your preference is respected. Don't let the "people who feel that they are morally superior and that they are bastions of virtue" bother you. In the end, we are all the same with the exception of bank accounts and opinions, and those opinions usually fluctuate depending on the bank account.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Just to maintain a level of reality here, no official announcement has been made as of yet. The candidate would have to clear background checks, and receive a Senate confirmation, so this is still in the speculative stage. Any talk of the person residing at Casa de Campo is premature.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
you do know that most USA foreign embassy, have more than one purpose.... It has the official usa ambassador and staff ........and then some have members of another federal agency, that work out of the embassy. you know 3 letters??.........Doc..............

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
No Matter which President, these appointments are rarely given to people of moderate means.
Most are well established people in their own right. They're not looking for a job.

Prestige perhaps, a job - no.

Most have been H-U-G-E donators to the Republican Party or The Donald and this is quid pro quo. Being the Ambassador to the DR would be a cake walk compared to let say, Haiti or Venezuela or a small European Country.