Trying to emerge from the dark ages

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I can also vouch for Greg’s service.

The amount of time he is willing to spend with you to set you up is worth the low cost he is charging.

And yes there is the sporadic down time but I assume that’s to get their servers up to speed and so on.

Again, you can’t go wrong with Greg, top notch.

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
I can also vouch for Greg’s service.

The amount of time he is willing to spend with you to set you up is worth the low cost he is charging.

And yes there is the sporadic down time but I assume that’s to get their servers up to speed and so on.

Again, you can’t go wrong with Greg, top notch.
Hi Carlos,

Since you mentioned it, There are a few reasons that the service goes down occasionally. One is as you mentioned, they do updates. They try to do the updates on weekday mornings when most people would be at work but of course theres always someone somewhere who is watching at that time and believe me, I hear about it right away lol

The second reason is technical issues. obviously, occasinally the servers, like any other comuter, glitch and need a reboot which is usually a short time of 20 minutes to 30 minutes. The reason it was down for a few hours a few weeks ago is that server space is leased from server farms and a few weeks ago, the server farm lost its internet backbone. At that point, it was out of the hands of our TV techs as to how to bring it up because the servers were at the mercy of waiting for the server farm employees to bring their feed back. Our techs waited 2 hours I think, to see if there was any progress toward getting it resolved but since there wasn't, they moved the system over to the backup server that they lease from a different server farm. that itself takes about an hour to do because after activating it, the domain names for the system has to be redesignated to a new address, and then the new address has to trickle down worldwide so that everyones tv's will go to the new location for the streams.

The last reason is that these services get attacked. There are literally websites that offer a service to take down other sites if you pay enough. the price is not that much, 200 to 1000 i believe is the going rate to take a site down for a day. so when NFL season starts, the NFL has no problem dropping 20 or 30 grand to attack a bunch of these tv systems worldwide for the first few sundays in hopes of frustrating enough people to go out and buy the sunday ticket. of course they wont say they do this and the sites that do it are anonymous, but it happens every year for the first few sunday games. Again when this happens, our techs have to relocate to the backup server and do the same thing with the addressing and they usually bring it back up fairly quickly.

hope this will ease your mind next time there is an outage, just knowing that they do have backups was a very important aspect to me before i decided to offer this service.