TV Purchase Decision

Jan 9, 2004
If you decide to buy here wait until month end when the sales start

My past experiences have been that the retailers actually raise prices in December.....taking full advantage of the 13th salary many Dominicans receive.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I am in the market for a tv as well. PlazaLama in Santo Domingo has LG smart tvs and the one I want is only about $150 more than a comparable one in Canada.

TV LED LG M/32LB580B
32 SMART TV
$23995DP

TV LED LG M/42UB8200
42P. 4K UHD
$47995DP

Why would you buy a 4K TV in DR when 1080 is not even supported?

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Netflix! 4k is not coming to cable tv for quite some time but it is already here for streaming in limited capacity. It is just a way future proof your purchase but probably not worth paying a lot of money for.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

there are channels in 1080p in dominican cable. many dominican channels are also in HD with good resolution. american channels are also available on HD. the quality seem like 1080p to me.
then you have netflix which is streamed in 1080p resolution. In any case, you can download 1080p movies from torrent sites. I bought 1080p TV and Projector just for that reason. When 4K becomes the norm, then i will buy a 4K projector. Once you go projector, there is no going back to regular TV.
AZB

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Can you tell me more about these Mudanzas and how you came across them?

Mundanzas are very little people that only come out during a full moon. Usually found in remote areas.

Actually Mundanzas is a moving process whereby Dominicans returning home from living elsewhere and foreigners moving to the DR and obtaining residency are allowed one move of household and personal items not subject to taxes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mundanzas are very little people that only come out during a full moon. Usually found in remote areas.

Actually Mundanzas is a moving process whereby Dominicans returning home from living elsewhere and foreigners moving to the DR and obtaining residency are allowed one move of household and personal items not subject to taxes.

Not true. Mundanzas are door to door shipping for ANYONE shipping anything to DR. Could be a small box or a container. We just shipped down a generator. In a few weeks we'll be shipping 55 gallon drums and 6-7 large boxes filled with everything from clothing to outdoor ceiling fans to food to appliances... you get the idea, anything and everything.

You could also ship one single box.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Shopping is a 'click' away...

Log on to Best Buy or the retailer of your choice.
Buy, ship to mudanza (free) and it arrives 2-3 weeks later.

My Tuesday arrival was about 2 weeks in transit.... October is a slow period.... so fast arrival.

Faster if you pick up in Santiago... at the Awilda office

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
I ended up buying a 40inch techomaster from Plasa Lama for the same price (23,900) I could have purchased a 50 inch Samsung in the states.
As someone said earlier it is really a risk reward situation. While the risk of using a mudanza is probably pretty low I wasn't comfortable with the TV being delivered in the very small delivery window (4 days) I needed.