U.N.Responsible for Haitian Cholera Epidemic - New Report

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Before I moved here from the U.K. the U.N.s responsibility was well known but of course they denied it.....shame they never seem to put the money given by governments into sorting out the problem....but then how would they manage to afford their brand new range rovers and holidays in the D.R. all expenses paid!!!!!!!
Of course when a couple of aid workers were asked that question whilst having a party weekend near us they were unable to answer!!!!!!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I know what you mean jilly but I just wanted to post this since one of the authors is a young Dominican man educated in the DR and the US. I thought it would be a nice reminder that there are many educated and successful families and individuals in the DR, not just sankies.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Hey I think its great you posted it....and I would never ever doubt that this country as every other in the world has a fantastic amount of educated nationals who have achieved far and beyond the expectations of others and often despite the lack of educational opportunities sometimes available to them.
Sorry but I was in total dis belief when I first heard about the situation many months ago.....so WELL DONE for bringing it to DR1.....however as the subject matter does not include sex, drugs or recommendations on where to go for a cheap $hag then I doubt very many forum readers will give a damn.:laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Celso Marranzini's relative? Celso went to PUCMM when it was just UCMM...studied economics under P. Luis Aleman..S.J.

The Report is the CONFIRMATION in capital letters of what we knew after graphic videos and detailed newspaper reports were available shortly after the start of the epidemic.

The UN should also fund Dominican claims for its expenses regarding cholera. After all, it came from Haiti. That would be a boon of perhaps a billion or so???

Well done expatsooner, I am so happy you are still posting here.

Cordially,

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I am not sure about the Marranzini connection but I would think the likelihood is a strong one since the Dominican author's name is Celso. :) His family name is Perez and he is the researcher on the cover photo talking to the guard. I am so proud to have taught him and his siblings at CMS, great kids and family. It gives you a special warm spot in your heart as a teacher when you see your students as happy and successful adults as I am sure you know HB :)

It may have been a few years now since we lived there but some of the happiest years of my and my family's life were spent in the DR so it will always hold a place in my heart.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General this is the link to the daily press briefing - I copy/pasted the relevant part to Haiti to save reading :)

Question: Sure, thank… thanks a lot. I have some follow-up questions on Somalia, but I wanna ask just a quick thing on Haiti first. There is a report that I am sure that you have seen, it came out of the Law School and that it… it seems the Medical School at… at Yale yesterday… regarding the cholera in Haiti and they… it’s… it is kind of a… it’s a medical and legal analysis about the… the… that there should have been the claims process and saying that the UN needs to rehabilitate…

Spokesperson: What’s the question?

Question: My question is: what’s your response to this study, and also, whether the new Head of the Office of Legal Affairs, whether there is any indication that, you know, like Nicolas Michel in the past, but unlike Ms. O’Brien, whether he will take questions on legal topics such as these? Why the claim was dis… was dismissed and what the legal implications are?

Spokesperson: Well, on the second part of your questions, we just in the past few minutes announced this appointment, so I don’t think you would expect me to pass further judgement on what he may or may not wish to do with regard to speaking to the media, but we will certainly convey your wishes to him. With regard to the first part of your questions, I don’t have anything further to say beyond what we have said in the past. We are obviously aware of this latest report.

There are two points here. The first is that the position of the Secretary-General is and has always been that while the claims are not receivable, this decision would not in any way diminish his personal commitment and that of the United Nations to do all that the Organization can do to help the people of Haiti to overcome the cholera epidemic. And I think you will have seen that, yesterday, the Haitian Government and the United Nations launched a revised humanitarian action plan for this year asking for $100 million to help Haitian people in need of assistance. The financial aid would help cover immediate needs for the rest of the year, notably for the most vulnerable 935,500 people who have not yet received assistance and who are at risk of cholera or from the hurricane season. And this humanitarian action plan now revised is underlining the cholera response as a key priority, and it has earmarked $40 million for critical cholera needs. Only $8.7 million has been mobilized so far, and this is of particular concern during the hurricane season, as funding is not enough to meet potential needs.

And just to underscore that point again, on the ground, strenuous efforts are being made by the Haitian Government and by the United Nations and other humanitarian partners to help prepare for this hurricane season and the potential for further cholera cases. However, the funding is woefully inadequate at this point, and that really needs to be addressed by international donors with a sense of urgency and solidarity. Yes, Jonathan?

Question: Martin, a little bit more on this report, which I have been reading through this morning. It squarely does hold accountability with the… with the United Nations and even though, yes, you say that the Secretary-General has come out and made statements addressing some of the concerns related to this, to date, the UN has not accepted responsibility for the outbreak. And the report itself actually in very scientific terms lays out the reasons to why they come to the conclusions that they come, including the strain of the actual cholera virus that ties into a Nepalese version that had been ravishing [sic] the country at the time. And we all know that there were Nepalese peacekeepers who actually had the disease in Haiti serving and the river connected to the outbreak, and the location of the outbreak and whatnot.

When is the UN going to address this particular report, which is very comprehensive, and can we have someone here to talk us through what concrete steps the UN is going to be taking to address the issue? And the report also makes some very concrete recommendations on what the UN can do in the future to avoid such outbreaks or problems such as this, including recommendations on where to set up latrines and other sanitation-related issues that can arise in setting up a peacekeeping mission. Is there someone perhaps from the peacekeeping mission who could speak to us and let us know what is being done?

Spokesperson: Well, as I just said, we are obviously aware of the report, and obviously it is being read. I am not in a position to comment beyond what I have just said. I have heard your request for someone to speak about this, and I will certainly pass it along, but I don’t have anything further for you at this point. Yes?

Question: Sorry, Stephen [inaudible], TV American Feature Story News. I just want to follow up on Pam’s question. The Russian Foreign Ministry did say that they are planning on discussing — Lavrov and Ban — the… Syria. I just want to make sure that is actually on the agenda for tomorrow evening’s meeting?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Guy sounds like a greased snake....Dominican saying: "Culebre no se coje con lasso!" ...

The sumbitch is tough to nail down...

I wish one of those Nepalese peacekeepers would go dump in his drinking water!!..

On another idea: Celso Perez....Mary Perez de Marranzini is (thank God--she's gotta be pushing 90) Celso's mom. She founded the Dominican Rehabilitation Center when Celso got polio...I am sure that the name Celso, runs in the family, like
Luis or Julio or Marco runs in mine....

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well the issue really is that the UN does not have any money, really.. It just has what money its members contribute, right? So there is really no one to pay. It would be great if they could own up to it but I suppose that the one million lawyers got together and said that they could not but everyone knows it now.

The biggest contributer to the UN is the US and we are always behind in our dues, I think.

Still, it is pretty horrible.. because now.. whatever money there is will always have to go in part for Cholera relief..

I think that once it is there, it just stays there. But I am not an expert and have not really studied it.

Thank god it did not get into the entire watershed of hte whole island!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Mountainannie:

I used to work directly across the street from UN Plaza in NYC. While hurrying by on the Plaza side of the street one day, I was almost bowled over by a little African with a briefcase who trotted down the steps and accross the sidewalk to a waiting stretch limo. I had to stop short and back off to avoid him.

The wide back door of the custom stretch limo was wide open so he could jump in, briefcase and all, which he did with great alacrity. Meanwhile I had lots of time to snap retina pics of the interior as I backed around in a semicircle to get a good inventory.

It had pasha-sized sofas surrounding a jacuzzi style hot tub. The tub wasn't steaming, but it was foaming and swirling, so I threw in the "hot" part of the tub for effect. Forgive me. I'm outraged. So I embellish a bit, right? Beside and behind the sofa was an entertainment center as near as I can put it. Multi-colored lights, some speakers and an exceptionally well stocked bar. This bastard was not untypical of the bureaurats we pay for in the UN and its endlessly tiered cascades of bureaus, councils, boards and NGOs, all staffed with entitled and annointed — not the least of which are Americans.

I've lived and worked in many places throughout the world. Never once have I known a person or a work related to the UN that deserved one penny derived off my sweat or talent. I'm sure you and others have anecdotal evidence to naysay mine. You're welcome to them.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/Clinics/Haiti_TDC_Final_Report.pdf

This is a link to a report about the cholera epidemic in Haiti. There is also a strong Dominican link as one of the authors is a Dominican who attended and graduated from Carol Morgan School in Santo Domingo. He did his undergraduate work at Boston College and is now studying at Yale Law.

Yes, i heard the author of the report on NPR. HOWEVER, The so calleD UN has refused to take reponsibility and compensate the victims!
What is the purpose of the this so called UN ORGANISATION? You wonder why REPUBLICANS hate them although I am not 100% Republican! But, they have a poiint!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Mountainannie:

I used to work directly across the street from UN Plaza in NYC. While hurrying by on the Plaza side of the street one day, I was almost bowled over by a little African with a briefcase who trotted down the steps and accross the sidewalk to a waiting stretch limo. I had to stop short and back off to avoid him.

The wide back door of the custom stretch limo was wide open so he could jump in, briefcase and all, which he did with great alacrity. Meanwhile I had lots of time to snap retina pics of the interior as I backed around in a semicircle to get a good inventory.

It had pasha-sized sofas surrounding a jacuzzi style hot tub. The tub wasn't steaming, but it was foaming and swirling, so I threw in the "hot" part of the tub for effect. Forgive me. I'm outraged. So I embellish a bit, right? Beside and behind the sofa was an entertainment center as near as I can put it. Multi-colored lights, some speakers and an exceptionally well stocked bar. This bastard was not untypical of the bureaurats we pay for in the UN and its endlessly tiered cascades of bureaus, councils, boards and NGOs, all staffed with entitled and annointed ? not the least of which are Americans.

I've lived and worked in many places throughout the world. Never once have I known a person or a work related to the UN that deserved one penny derived off my sweat or talent. I'm sure you and others have anecdotal evidence to naysay mine. You're welcome to them.

Hey, That is really a story.. And really it would be great if the people of his county could see how much THEY were paying for his limo. Because THEY are the ones who are paying.

Unfortunately the problem with the UN.. as CB says about Haiti.. is that is staffed with HUMANS...

We have good ones and bad ones.

Same with any group,

Just one story.. ok then .. others can go on.,.

One of the dedicated gringos on the Corbett list contacted the FAO which is the UN food agency to ask what they were doing about Haiti .. and got the response that they were .. well.. Investigating...

I think that he mailed me the response.. They were investigating beans, she said, And went on about how difficult it was because they did not want to introduce anything that was not indigenous...And she ,.. they.. thought,, just thought.. they MIGHT have found a bean that would grow in Haiti,

This was about the same time that the bean growers in San Juan de Maguana, which is an half hour, straight shot on a paved highway to the Haitian border.. had had a protest in the Captial here in SD.. bringing in truck loads of beans that they could not SELL because there was no procesing plant on the border !

So, yeah.. I hear you.

There are daily articles to get the Troops out of Haiti.. But they have controlled the narco gangs.. in fact they were actaully the force that really prevented the entire country from turning completely into a narco state.

And the poor countries send troops The rich countries give money.

Just that Haiti.. well.. Haiti is just somehow.. a simple bad luck magnet..

And how are they going to compensate? What price a Haitian life? What is a Haitian worth? whoa..... talk about THAT discussion....