U.S. citizens targeted in Haiti

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I was quoting someone else when I said one island, one people.  Because Hispaniola is an island this is more likely to occur.  I'm not supporting it. 

Cyprus has had centuries with the Turk/Greek divide (despite the actual division of the island in two states happening in the last century) and some sort of rapproachment among them has yet to happen. Plus, the genetic company 23andMe has shown that Dominicans with actual Haitian relatives (and vice versa) in their relative finder tool are the exception, and not the rule (contrary to what happens with us vis-a-vis Ricans and Cubans, with which we have like a gazillion of relatives, specially with the former), and there are no signs that the stigma of the inter-ethnic unions among both nations of the island will cease as long as Haiti remains in its postrated state and Haitians remain being seen as the pariahs and untouchables of the continent. I will give it to you that we DR's are somewhat more open to cross-ethnic relations than most groups in Latin America, but this most of the times happens with groups that either we see as peers, or we think will advance our station in life, and not put ourselves into what the French call a "mesalliance". I know, it sounds ugly and distateful in these politically correct times, but I rather tell you how reality is in the most brutal way possible than sugarcoat it with false niceties.

Last edited:

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
I just heard that the UN is pulling out of Haiti; wonder if this move will make Haiti more or less dangerous. It should make hotels and living expense less  for visitors. I would appreciate opinions on this from people in the know. Thanks

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Retraction of the UN is not good news.

They played a major part in providing security both within Haiti and along its borders. 

Without a stronger centralised govt Haiti will quickly become a narco-state. It will be relentlessly run by the narco maffia until somewhere down the line the US invades and do a repeat of Granada. 

However Haiti will remain without morality, law and prospects and the cycle will start again. 

Haiti will never merge with the DR ever. There will be increased migration from Haiti towards the DR. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The DR needs to build a wall and have Haiti pay for it, one sack of charcoal at a time...

By now, general world history should have taught us that "we" can't solve all of the worlds problems. How long have "we" been feeding Africa and the problem is worse today than ever? Haiti has to solve it's own sh$t. Sometimes Rome needs to burn before it can be rebuilt anew. If some countries follow through with their plans to reduce funding to the UN and foreign aid, expect the UN and NGOs to be pulling out of even more countries. It may get to the point that the reality of truly hopeless situations has to be recognized and the cards will have to fall where they may.  

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The DR needs to build a wall and have Haiti pay for it, one sack of charcoal at a time...

By now, general world history should have taught us that "we" can't solve all of the worlds problems. How long have "we" been feeding Africa and the problem is worse today than ever? Haiti has to solve it's own sh$t. Sometimes Rome needs to burn before it can be rebuilt anew. If some countries follow through with their plans to reduce funding to the UN and foreign aid, expect the UN and NGOs to be pulling out of even more countries. It may get to the point that the reality of truly hopeless situations has to be recognized and the cards will have to fall where they may.  

i agree with the contention that Haiti is a basket case. oftentimes, i believe it might be beyond redemption. i will also suggest that the preponderant portion of its dysfunction and dystopia is self inflicted. that much is self evident.

what needs to be realized is that Haiti will never be allowed to develop. Haiti made a fatal mistake of defying a European power in the early 19th century, and they will be made to pay for that in perpetuity. when you see America destroying the rice industry of an impoverished country, by twisting their arms to buy subsidized rice from the USA, you know they are never going to be allowd to develop, let alone flourish.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you appear to believe that we, as you describe people such as yourself, have been feeding the people of Africa for a long time, and their problems have worsened with time.

apparently, you are unaware of the detrimental effects of European and North American actions in Africa. in an attempt to disabuse you of this lack of understadings, let me suggest a starting point for a bibliography

How Europe Underedeveloped Africa, by Walter Rodney. that would be a good place to start..

https://www.amazon.com/Europe-Underdeveloped-Africa-Walter-Rodney/dp/1574780484

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's not going to work. The charcoal will be nothing more than our own trees but burnt. :rolleyes:

The DR does need a wall, but not any wall. It needs a wall similar to Israel's, which to my understanding is the only truly successful border wall ever built.

I remember before the wall was built Israel was in the news all the time due to bombings and other terrorist attacks on its soil. As the wall was progressively built, Israel slipped away from the front page news. Now we hardly hear of a bombing or some terrorist attack taking place over there. The wall actually worked and it's what should be expected when something is done right.

Critics of the wall bring up all sorts of issues, but what none of them can say is that the wall hasn't reduced substantially the illegal flow of people (particularly those with intent of producing chaos) into Israel.

[video=youtube;FT7c7wUktmg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7c7wUktmg[/video]

Haiti has no hope, unfortunately. If there is something that I wish I'm wrong is this, but my gut feeling tells me that this is one of the issues in which I'm probably spot on.