U.S. Dollars vs. Canadian Dollars

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I thought this was about money!!

I think that Criss is probably right. what is stranger, I think Jim is quite right.

Way back in '65 and '66 there were signs onthe walls around Santo Domingo: "Yanki go home!"
Inevitably, someone else would write: "And take me with you!!"

People are liked for who not what they are. Some are stereotyped by Dominicans: French, German and Haitians are universally referred to with a wave of the hand under their noses!. What is culturally acceptable in France or Germany or Haiti is unacceptable here, to even the most humble Dominican.

To lay this to rest: Get on with your lives, enjoy your vacation, bring US dollars for convenience, not national pride, be yourselves. Get to know people and you will really love this place.

HB

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
that boss of your fiancee
sounds mighty ignorant.
You will be very welcome here
and since americans on average are better tippers.
you will be very appriciated here .
always bring US $
buy them at home . you will be way ahead. Always.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
""Cuber"

Notwithstanding my use of "Cuber" in my last post, nobody picked up on it, especially HB or CC, both of whom I perceived to be rather politically astute in the context of American/Cuber relations. OK you guys and anybody else out there. First one to answer this gets a mamajuana on me. The hint is in not only my prior post but this one too. What do you call a Buttafucco that goes to college? Do I have to come down there to give you guys the punch line? Don't make me do it. I can't afford it right now.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Trading places with Americans?

In response to trading places with an American in a hearbeat...saying something like this is a classic example of the arrogance that many Americans are famous for. No, I would not trade in my CDN passport for a US one, not in a million years. I will, however, continue to help my American friends sew Canadian flags on their backpacks before their trips to Europe.

marc

Gena

Jan 10, 2002
Thanks but no thanks...

I doubt you'll find as many takers these days, Marc... the confused ones aren't as willing to wallow... and I didn't get the impression those place-trading comments were from Americans bragging...

If I sew anything on my backpack, it'll be American. My fiance can represent himself as Canadian, because he is. Just don't try to sell me the pitch. I just live here, work here, and pay taxes like the rest. And no, I'm not here for the OHIP. I had better insurance in the U.S.

Note to Kenosha... I responded to Buttafocco joke, just hit the wrong button! :p

Gena

Jan 10, 2002
Re KenoshaChris's joke... couldn't delete other thread

B.S.? If that's it, she-e-e-e-e-sh, like takin' candy from a baby! Not that this has ANYthing to do with my original questions. And I thought I got off-track in conversations! Now I feel much less alone! :)

I wanta say THANX to all of you who wrote with real advice. We'll bring American bucks, I'll see if I can find one o'those U.S. flag-designed thongs... and I'll take that mamajuana and raise it to TWO glasses of champagne after the wedding day!

This bulletin board is so successful, I think I'll ask another! And BTW, the boss isn't so bad... just proud of his OWN country and lacking another way of expressing it. I especially liked the guy who said "to BELITTLE is to BE little" -- very timely. Hey, I'm just tryin' to get along... and bein' in Canada, it's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearin' Milkbone underwear!

He'd better be a good guy, don'tcha think?

Cheers!

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: Trading places with Americans?

Marc said:
In response to trading places with an American in a hearbeat...saying something like this is a classic example of the arrogance that many Americans are famous for. No, I would not trade in my CDN passport for a US one, not in a million years
marc

marc every year the USA throws a free lottery to obtain greencards .
and every year there are thousands of canadians applying.
Same as from many European countries .
The Canadian health System is in trouble because so many nurses are applying.
i think lots of prople like to trade places.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
hi paul, to the best of my knowledge Canadians citizens have not been allowed to enter the green-card lottery for quite a number of years now. instead they must follow all the standard procedures of applying for the card: guaranteed employment, etc.

and as for the nurses, well every year US hospitals hold nursing job fairs in Canada with large attendance and every year after their contract is up a good number of those nurses return to Canada. they anticipated the grass was greener but found it to be no different or perhaps worse.

just my observations over the years.

mob

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Just want to throw my 2 cents in here. The Idea that Canadians tourist are preferred over US tourist is ridiculous. The world over Canadians are famous for being lousy tippers, terrible drivers and particularly ethnocentric(Especially the french Canadians). Anne Murray and Celine Dion are inexcusable. Heck they are not even a real country anyway!

My apologies to Parker and Stone for ripping off their line!

The Joker

Jan 12, 2002
www.jcfdata.com
Canadian vs US dollars (On Topic)

Hey lets not bash the Canadian's here (Being one I don't like it!)

However here a quick bit of info releated to the topic of CDN vs US dollars.

You can buy $100 US in a Canadian bank for about $160 CDN

160 Canadian at @ 10.4 to 1 = RD$ 1664
100 US at @ 17.05 to 1 = RD$ 1705

So you get about 39 more pesos per hundred.

Which will buy you a beer, at some bars even a GRANDE!

Also I have had problems with some places taking Canadian dollars, they want you to go change them to pesos first, however I have NEVER had anyone refuse US dollars!

James Fleming

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
I don't think so...it can't be...

If this were the case, converting from CDN to USD to Pesos back to Canadian would make you money....no?

take from http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

$1USD=17.200DOP
$1CAD=10.77627DOP
$1CAD=.62621DOP

$160CAD = $100.194USD
$100.194USD = $1723.34DOP
or
$160CAD = $1723.24DOP

They come out the same. Exchange banks on the street are not giving 10.77 on the Canadian dollar, so there is no way they can be giving the 17.20 on the US dollar.

Am I missing something?
marc

The Joker

Jan 12, 2002
www.jcfdata.com
Re: I don't think so...it can't be...

Not really you are using what seems to be the Interbank rate which does come out almost the same. However that is for transaction in excess of 1,000,000 USD. And does not take in to account the preference for USD, and the commission the change houses recieve.

I changed both CDN and USD at the change house the other day, and I recieved 17.15 to 1 for the USD and 10.55 to 1 for the Canadian.

They have a strong pererence for USD

There is a small amout of money to be made doing this, however it take very large sums and you have to move it across three borders who all require notification on anything over 10,000 USD.

On 10,000 USD with the numbers above you would net only RD$ 2,700

This is why I normal save my Canadian till a return to Canada.

And of course you would be moving around alot of CASH!

Uncle sam would see this and TAX it as income.

The Joker.

Marc said:
If this were the case, converting from CDN to USD to Pesos back to Canadian would make you money....no?

take from http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

$1USD=17.200DOP
$1CAD=10.77627DOP
$1CAD=.62621DOP

$160CAD = $100.194USD
$100.194USD = $1723.34DOP
or
$160CAD = $1723.24DOP

They come out the same. Exchange banks on the street are not giving 10.77 on the Canadian dollar, so there is no way they can be giving the 17.20 on the US dollar.

Am I missing something?
marc

wandalyn

Jan 18, 2002
To Tony C

Dear Tony. As a Canadian, I take great offense in saying that Canada isn't even a country. Who has fought side by side with you in every war, who came in the thousands to New York in September to help out any way they could. Who sat glued to their t.v.s with tears in their eyes when Sept. 11 happened. We are your neihgbors and your best friends and allies. It's attitudes like yours that hurt and cause hatred. I think we've all had to suffer enough of that lately. We are blessed to live in two of the best countries in the world. God Bless You! Think about your words before you put them on paper.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Wandalyn,"WE LOVE YOU"!!!!

Don,t pay any attention to Tony C! Any one who carries 3 differant countries passports,can,t know what the word "Loyalty" means! I am a VietNam(That explains a lot)Veteran,American "side"! If I ever have to go to "War",I wan,t Canadian Infantry,British Airforce,(and Royal Marines)"They can take a "licking",and come up "ticking"!Australian "Arty"and New Zealand supply ships(The Kiwi Government doesn,t let their men fight!) even when they want to! So if you can just solve that "French" problem you have up there we can take down our border fence! "We love our Canadian "Cousins!!!!!!! Criss Colon

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
Let it go

As a Dominican living in the US I can tell you that all people are liked, just as long as you follow simple etiquete rules. And as far as I'm concerned I've been to Canada and found that Canadians can be just as rude as Americans. Although I've never been called a "dirty wetback" in Canada. Just come to DR and leave all prejudices behind because here you are all tourist and will be treated the same, courteously, amiclaby and friendly.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Re: Tempest in a Teapot

There is one thing that all dominican women do agree on,they really hate Italian men! There is a "pact" among all dominican women,"Tell the Italian men that they are great",but behind their backs we all laugh at them!Have you seen them "dance?" I use the word "Dance" only as a referance!Criss Colon [/B][/QUOTE]

Chris, ...you have a great sense of humor, immersed in wit and truth. Thanks, Man!