U.S. Military Veteran seeking Employment in DR (Santiago)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The $6,000 quote for Residency usually only covers the initial Residency for two people. This guy also has a couple of kids...don't know of the DGII would "grandfather" the kids under the parent's Residency. Then there are the initial renewal, the 2 year renewal, the 4 year renewal, ad nauseum. With regard to Military Vets getting anything special here, the only thing I ever got (and I'm a retired Navy Commander) was a free parking spot in the Colonial Zone from a DR Army guard because I showed him my ID card! lol

Sounds like his parents are Dominicans, he will get citizenship through them fairly quickly and easily, and his children will get it through him.  Only his wife will need to go the residency route, and after 6 months apply for citizenship since she’s married to a Dominican. Won’t cost anywhere near $6,000

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hello Friends,

Where does a U.S. Military veteran look for opportunities within the Cibao Region? 

We are thinking of changing our footprint we have here in the U.S. and taking the plunge and trying to live the minimalistic life in the D.R. I have 2 kids (15 and 4) that will be traveling with us. I have a small pension, but would like to start something that can give us a little more lee-way for expenses, but at the same time remove the overhead we have in the U.S. 

My parents live in Tenares/Salcedo and they have been asking me to come over and see. Still not ready..

Any ideas? Hotels, teaching, Government, etc... Business needing run, etc.. 

Thanks in advance,

Richie

Please email me and I'll forward you my Resume' richie dot lasalsa@gmail dot com

Define small pension and what is your skill set? Your parents are Dominican and living in Salcedo area, correct? With extended family available the move will probably be easier but with a child age 15 I would look at Santiago area for both schooling and work.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Bob,

Family is in Salcedo. Right now, I'm at about $2200 only because I don't have any ailments through the VA that I can claim for additional Disability. I have an Auto Broker Business here in the U.S. that I would leave open so that my buyers would forward me Broker fees when they sell. That will be more $$$. 

My skillset is mainly in the Operations/Logistics/Business Development arena. I have worked in Medical Resource Management, as well as held 2 Postings as a Defense Attache' in 2 U.S. Embassies. Since retiring, I have worked in the Automotive Remarketing business (Auctions) for 6 years. I'm hoping to start my own side business working on US GOV Procurement Brokerage, remotely if I can from the DR. 

Santiago would be ideal for us, as I have friends there that are set-up fairly well. They just want me to come check it out. 

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I think that you could do well here with those skills and that guaranteed money each month. Santiago has very reasonably priced real estate to buy and rent. It is worth checking out if it means you can work less and spend more time with your family while they are young. Best of luck !!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Dad, being of Dominican descent, does make it a bit easier to move here but I think the family is in for a bit of an eye opener when they realize just how much their first world lifestyle may need to change especially if the budget precludes products and quality of service that they are used to.

I'm sure they can pull it off if they really want to. The question is, will they all really want to after learning what it will entail.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob,

Family is in Salcedo. Right now, I'm at about $2200 only because I don't have any ailments through the VA that I can claim for additional Disability. I have an Auto Broker Business here in the U.S. that I would leave open so that my buyers would forward me Broker fees when they sell. That will be more $$$. 

My skillset is mainly in the Operations/Logistics/Business Development arena. I have worked in Medical Resource Management, as well as held 2 Postings as a Defense Attache' in 2 U.S. Embassies. Since retiring, I have worked in the Automotive Remarketing business (Auctions) for 6 years. I'm hoping to start my own side business working on US GOV Procurement Brokerage, remotely if I can from the DR. 

Santiago would be ideal for us, as I have friends there that are set-up fairly well. They just want me to come check it out. 

Certainly you won't live like royality but other than initial outlay of money for making sure everything is legal, bringing your stuff, or buying new stuff here, I think it's doable. Check it out, explore for a month, and then decide. Since you have friends already here you can pick their brains about expenses and opportunities.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bob,

Your experience in Medical Resource Management can be helpful. I would visit the Homs and check out work opportunities there. Santiago has good medical care and good schools.

Your wife may have a set of skills that are in demand here. Let us know and we can make suggestions.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Certainly you won't live like royality but other than initial outlay of money for making sure everything is legal, bringing your stuff, or buying new stuff here, I think it's doable. Check it out, explore for a month, and then decide. Since you have friends already here you can pick their brains about expenses and opportunities.

Whwn the wife gets her residency, they can bring in a container with furniture, appliances, etc.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks again Dolores!

I looked into the Citizenship route via my parents.. Seems easy, then I can do residency for my Wife, etc..

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

I am also a U.S. military veteran living in the DR for over 10 years.  With your skill set you may check Art Auction jobs at sea.  Hard work but good money with a decent schedule normally 4 months on and 2 off.  I am a hotel guy who get’s compensated at a very good level plus 90% medical while at home.

Wish you the best in your search!

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Hi,

I am also a U.S. military veteran living in the DR for over 10 years.  With your skill set you may check Art Auction jobs at sea.  Hard work but good money with a decent schedule normally 4 months on and 2 off.  I am a hotel guy who get’s compensated at a very good level plus 90% medical while at home.

Wish you the best in your search!

That sounds interesting man. Congrats! Not sure we can swing that with a 4 y/o right now. Appreciate the info though.