U.S. Passport Renewal

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You're going to have to look south of JFK Expressway and stay north of Av. 27 de Febrero. The closer to Av. Lincoln the better. The Radisson is in a good location if $110/night is in your budget.

The Colonial Zone has some $50/night hotels, but it's pretty far away - especially when you consider how bad the traffic is in S.D. Total nightmare!

Also, there's no public parking near the Embassy. There are quite a few private parking lots about a block away at reasonable rates.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The Marriot and the Barcelo are not even remotely close to the Embassy. The posters must have been thinking about where the old embassy was a couple years ago.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am so glad I lost my passport a year ago when I was in the US and got it renewed until 2025. I should be dead by then. No problem.

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
I had to go to the US Embassy in July. Other than the Micro Hotel(didn't get very good reviews on Trip Advisor) and the AirBnB's mentioned above, there's really not much close to the Embassy. Pretty tacky area - kind of run-down and somewhat industrialized. You really have to go south of JFK Expressway(Hwy 1)to find any hotels.

I just renewed my passport on Monday. *I stayed at the Posada Delia del Alba. It costs 36 US (1700 pesos) and is about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the embassy. Its closer than the Micro Suites that costs 3000 pesos. It's not really a hotel. You get a bedroom with 2 beds and a private bathroom with a shared living room and kitchen. I found it online and called the owner who was very nice. She recommended a taxi driver who picked me up at Metro for 250 pesos. I wouldn't recommend it other than for going to the embassy since there are no restaurants or grocery stores close. Especially if you don't have a car.*

My recommendation would be to get the earliest appointment. They are at 7, 7:30 and 8 AM. They let you enter even if you are early. The sooner you get there the sooner you will get out. Once you go through the scanners, you take a number and go upstairs and wait for your number to be called. They only call out the numbers and announcements in Spanish but the people who take your information all speak English. They take your 110 US in dollars, pesos or credit card and they do have change. You pay after you submit your paperwork and then go back outside the embassy to stand in line at Domex courier. That's 16 dollars or the equivalent in pesos. They also have change. I heard them tell the person in front of me that they didn't take credit cards.*

One more thing. Even though there are no signs warning you, no cell phones or WiFi devices are allowed inside !!! You go through a line just like at the airport and are scanned.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Buxtonite,
Thank you for the information. *
Why do you go to Domex? Is that to have it delivered to you?
How long did they say it will take for you to receive your new passport?
Did you take your pics in Santo Domingo or elsewhere?
How long did it take you for the upstairs part?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Anyone got their U.S. Passport renewed recently in Santo Domingo.
How was it?
I contacted the consulate in Puerto Plata and they don't know when next it will be possible to renew in Puerto Plata.
Just wondering how easy it is to do in SD or should I go to Miami.

*Moderator: If this should be moved to Santo Domingo please do or let me know and I'll post there.

Thanks

I renewed mine a year ago. I filled out the "paperwork" online and printed it out, took it with me, paid $135.00 or the equivalent in pesos a bit over 6000 pesos, don't remember exact. I got a temporary one and it took me to the USA where I finished the transaction by email and they delivered the new one to me there at my momma's house.
Der Fish

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
Buxtonite,
Thank you for the information. *
Why do you go to Domex? Is that to have it delivered to you?
How long did they say it will take for you to receive your new passport?
Did you take your pics in Santo Domingo or elsewhere?
How long did it take you for the upstairs part?

Domex is the courier that sends it to you here in the DR.*
2 weeks to get it. Ohmmm got his in exactly 2 weeks I believe. That's faster than in the states.
I had the pictures taken in Sosua but you could get them done anywhere.
It took an hour or so upstairs. That was just waiting for my number to be called. The actual time once I was called was quick.
That's why I suggested going in at 7:00. The earlier you get a number, the quicker you get it done. If you're going to have to get there early anyway why not be one of the first ??

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
My passport had expired Nov. 8. I had assumed I could renew in Puerto Plata so I procrastinated until October. I was told they couldn't do it until Nov. and on Oct. 31 when I called for an appointment, I found out they had no idea when they would be able to do it. To renew an expired passport is no problem if it isn't over 5 years. Same form, no hassles.

Other than hassle of going to Santo Domingo and spending the night, it was certainly easier and less expensive than flying
back to the states. Of course for me that wasn't an option after Nov. 8.

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
Just a quick update to let those interested in how long the passport renewal process takes. I checked my passport status today and it has been printed and sent to SD. So that's only 8 total days to get it sent. I will let you know when and if it gets delivered by the courier. So far quite speedy.

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
Just a quick update to let those interested in how long the passport renewal process takes. I checked my passport status today and it has been printed and sent to SD. So that's only 8 total days to get it sent. I will let you know when and if it gets delivered by the courier. So far quite speedy.

Got my passport delivered to me today. So it took 3 weeks.

Before they deliver Domex will call you. Be sure to have your receipt and a copy of some form of ID. Luckily I had an extra copy of my old passport. The messenger needs to take the copy so just showing him isn't enough.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
had to show an ID to Domex, but they did not require a copy only signature on the receipt.

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
had to show an ID to Domex, but they did not require a copy only signature on the receipt.

All I can say is that the guy that delivered mine today needed a copy along with a signature. He took the copy and the signed receipt. He told me when he called me that I needed the receipt and a copy of my cedula.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
For the online renewal form what address do you put in? I want it delivered to Sosua but permanent address is in the states.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
For the online renewal form what address do you put in? I want it delivered to Sosua but permanent address is in the states.

Do you have EPS or some other mail delivery service? Get someone at the US address to forward? Call the consul/embassy to discuss?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Well i have the same problem which I am facing right now, any solution please?

What problem? If it's the address when you fill out the form put your stateside address.  Then after you turn in your papers in Santo Domingo you go downstairs to Domex, the courier service. There you put in your local  DR address and pay $16USD or same in Pesos and once your passport is back in country it will be delivered to you.  Very easy process.  Just did it.  A few tips. Office opens at 7 so go as early as possible to avoid bad traffic.  Use Apollo Taxi if you take the bus.  Don't use Uber.  Don't take umbrellas or phones or any tech toys. Any other questions just ask.  Got there at 8 out by 9:30. Appt was at 9.  They do not call you by appt times. You take a number when you get there but when it got to 8:45 they just told everyone to get in line.  Once you hear them announce which was only in Spanish or you see a line forming get in it.  Also when filling the form online.  You need to preview it then go back to original page scan all the way down page place x agreeing you are telling truth.  Then and only then can you print the 2 pages you need to take.  If in Sosua, and need to fill out and print form go to Internet Shop across from Valentinos.  The woman working there is great and between the 2 of us finally were able to get the form to print.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
 hattiebscott45kn  seems to be a troll. The info I just posted is accurate but disregard this persons posts.