UK Cost Of Living.. You Want To Know?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
hear hear

Hi DR1 community. You certainly are a boisterous and forthright group; I am enjoying reading messages and getting to know you a little. I am grateful for the many straightforward and honest posts.

I am Canadian, and am also planning to make the DR my country of residence. My work will continue from offshore, as I have not got a retirement sized nest egg-- I'm an artist & writer. Art career has paid the bills for 20 years now-- all adult life, so I haven't really had a job.

Nick, I wish you all the best-- from your messages, it appears that you have already worked very hard in your adult life, and I can see why you are determined to free yourself. The rat race does as you suggest-- at least this is what I see everywhere I look.

I don't know if for-ever-after is anything to worry about right now. You have a reasonable nest egg and you are still young. If you use common sense-- and I think checking the fact vs fiction is a good idea!-- then you can spend a few years here, see how it works for you, and if it doesn't, you can always leave. At least you will say that you tried. I too believe it is what we don't do that our deepest selves have told us to do that we regret most when in our rocking chairs.

I live a very low key lifestyle here in Canada, by choice. I wound my art business down to a minimum about 12 years ago because I wanted to learn to write. Sales at that time were 250 K Can. When you have debts, personal dreams fail very quickly. So I see much of the underpinnings of our societies as traps-- they make great promises and fail to deliver. Young people with dreams believe those promises-- that only certain kinds of careers will make them happy, that they must do A, B, and C, to be happy. this is nonsense. It is also necessary for the social mechanisms to continue the way they are. What would happen to the status quo if a majority questioned the way things were?

It seems to me that places like the DR attract those who do question. As you are.

I am not opposed to wealth, but want it in a way I find meaningful, and also in a way that doesn't harm others. The interesting thing is that by the mid-90s, I noticed I was much happier with pretty much a 'student' lifestyle than many friends who were caught in the hamster wheel, attaining everything. I also noticed that I had more disposable income for day to day interests-- always the things I really wanted, not the things I got because everyone else also had.

Timex was here.:cool:

Pam, I hope your move to the DR is a good one too!

Dawn

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Re: hear hear

I don't get it. Where does this come in?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Dawn, and others, please start a new thread, do not hi-jack, some-one else's.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I am making a point now!!!!!:angry:
Start a new thread in the General Stuff Forum.
Last Warning, Do NOT Hi-Jack, some one else's Thread.

marion

Aug 27, 2003
Pam, I too am from NY, had a house in Orlando,moved to Georgia and am soon to relocate to Sosua
I have more "stuff" than I could ever need. All of my friends and family are wondering "what are you going to do there". I'm looking forward to streamlining my life and learning to enjoy my life. My husband and I (he was born in San Pedro De Marcois) will be retiring early. We will be living on a small pension and my husbands social security. Our lives will be sooooo different. Im really looking forward to the change and challenge.