Unique Dominican Names for Certain Colors

What do you call orange when speaking Spanish?

• Total voters

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't know! I?m Dominican and I had no clue what "sirotet?" was. Yeah, mamey is common, but not the other one.

miesposo also does not know sioret?. in his defense he knows nothing about sport (i remember it to be a term related to boring ass baseball, right?). mamey he knows and uses.

few weeks ago i had to do translation work and when the conversation moved to sport i said that i was done because i don't know sport terms in any of the languages i use, not even in polish.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
In Castilian Spanish it's naranja

If I'm not mistaken in Puerto Rico a "mamey" stands for something that's very easy

Aug 6, 2006
In Castilian Spanish it's naranja

If I'm not mistaken in Puerto Rico a "mamey" stands for something that's very easy

============================
la naranja is the fruit. The word comes from Arabic, probably from Persian
el naranjo is the orange tree.
el naranjal is an orange grove
anaranjado, anaranjada, anaranjados, anaranjadas are the four forms of the adjective that refers to the color.

people also say "de color naranja."

El mamey is a different tropical fruit, also called sapote colorado.
It is orange inside and tan outside.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Coman mamey

Coman mamey!

[video=youtube;8aKsQozL6tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aKsQozL6tg[/video]

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
============================
la naranja is the fruit. The word comes from Arabic, probably from Persian
el naranjo is the orange tree.
el naranjal is an orange grove
anaranjado, anaranjada, anaranjados, anaranjadas are the four forms of the adjective that refers to the color.

people also say "de color naranja."

El mamey is a different tropical fruit, also called sapote colorado.
It is orange inside and tan outside.

Yes to all of that, but speaking of the colour, people in Spain GENERALLY say "naranja" just as they say "blanco/amarillo/verde" etc instead of saying: "de color naranja/verde/rojo..."

Of course you have "anaranjado", just as you have "verdoso" or "amarillento"

As you pointed out, probably the fact dominicans call the colour "mamey" is due to the colour of the fruit (Zapote), just like "rojo cereza" and others.

Yeah, the word entered Spanish via Arabic "nāranǧ" form persian "nārang", from sanskrit "nāraṅga"

I'm confirming in Puerto Rico "mamey" is also used as a synonym of "easy", as in the song of Calle 13: "esto es f?cil, esto es un mamey, qu? importa si te gusta Green Day..."

Aug 6, 2006
verdoso means "greenish", amarillento translates as "yellowish"

anaranjado is five syllables and therefore it saves time to say naranja.

Many naranjas are orange, but some are more yellowish outside than orange. Inside, blood oranges are red.

The color of the inside of a mamey varies less, but they are not common in Spain, and less so in the South American cone area.
I did not see any in Uruguay, Paraguay or Misiones in Argentina, but perhaps they were out of season.

Mbaracuy? (parcha/ passionfruit) and guavas/ guayabas were all over the place.

As for the slang use of mamey, I am not familiar with that, but I will take your word for it.

Aug 6, 2006
So far as I know, a tangelo is a tangelo in Spanish. It is essentially a hybrid cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit.

mandarinas are the usual name I have heard for tangerines.

I have never run across pomelos (like grapefruits with a very thick layer of white pulp between the peel and the edible part, or kumquats, which are a tiny citrus.
Limoncillos (kanepas, kanips) are not a citrus, neither are loquats, which are called n?speros in the DR.

Aug 6, 2006
Most dictionaries define lemons as limones, and limes as limas, but to most Americans, lemons are yellow and limes are green,
In every Spanish speaking country I have visited, including the DR, limones are green, and yellow ones are not to be found. I am not entirely sure of the usage in Spain.
I know that I bought something labeled "zumo de laranja" that was simply orange juice.

Here in Florida, I have seen yellow lemons the size of grapefruits.Ideal for lemonade.

Jul 28, 2014
So far as I know, a tangelo is a tangelo in Spanish. It is essentially a hybrid cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit.

I have never run across pomelos (like grapefruits with a very thick layer of white pulp between the peel and the edible part, or kumquats, which are a tiny citrus.
Limoncillos (kanepas, kanips) are not a citrus, neither are loquats, which are called n?speros in the DR.

You can get Pomelos in Playero Supermercado, at least in Sosua...

Jul 28, 2014

You can get Pomelos in Playero Supermercado, at least in Sosua...

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
In every Spanish speaking country I have visited, including the DR, limones are green, and yellow ones are not to be found. I am not entirely sure of the usage in Spain.

In Spain lemons are yellow. I believe dominicans call those yellow lemons "lim?n persa"

Don't know what a "tangelo" is

Aug 6, 2006
The term "Persian lime" refers to a green hybrid lime in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_lime

I have heard the term Lim?n persa and lim?n p?rsica on occasion, but I do not recall the place or the context. I do not dispute you on this.
I have never seen a tangelo in the DR, but I have never looked for one. I have never been in one of those huge, have everything fruit markets in the DR.
I have heard there are some really large markets in SD, and someday I will check one out.
I know from my reading that lim?n is a fruit that is expected to be yellow in Spain.
I recall seeing yellow lemons in the Mercado de la Lagunilla in Mexico City once.
A friend once defined "comida" in Mexico as anything you can squirt jugo de lim?n on and eat.
In Mexico limonada is always made with green limones.