United Nations Seat for DR

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Santorum? The same guy who thought bestiality would be next in the liberal agenda?

Santorum? The same guy who brought a fetus home so his kids could touch it before burial?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Better yet why nor Rumsfeld?????
Cobra your messing with us right.:paranoid:
Santorum or Limbaugh.

Limbaugh has good pipes. That is all that matters in the UN. Oh, that and hot air bloviation. He does that, too. He'd fit right in.

Then again, how about Michael Savage? He makes Limbaugh look like a Liberal.

Honestly, the UN is a feckless, useless corrupt debating society. They are basically irrelevant in making a difference in the world. Nice idea, poor execution.

Would I mess with you guys?:cheeky: ;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Second time in a row the Dominican Republic fails to get a seat as a non-permanent member in the UN Security Council. Last time it was against Panama and this time around against Costa Rica.

In the fight for a Latin American seat, Costa Rica received 116 votes and the Dominican Republic 72 votes in the first round. In the second round, the vote was 119 for Costa Rica and 70 for the Dominican Republic. Afterwards, the Dominican Republic dropped out.

Libya, Burkina Faso and Vietnam win UN Security Council seats - International Herald Tribune

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I am of the opinion that the recent publicity over the"Plight of Haitians" had a great deal to do with the DR failing to gain the coveted Security Council Seat at the UN.
That, coupled with the reputation theDR has for coruption and "back-door" dealings certainly had a negative effect on their chances of winning the seat.
Remember, even though it has been 4 years since the Hipolito Fiasco and thecollapse of the Dominican Economy, other nations are still a little leery of theDR as a functioning Nation.
There have beena lot of problems, both economic and political that have flavored the International Community"s perception of the DR.
Let us hope that when this comes up again, the DR will have established itself as a Nation of good repute.

Texas Bill

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Analysis right on the money Mr Bill. The chances were slim against Costa Rica, a country with a solid democratic tradition and strong constitution. I believe this is the third time Costa Rica holds that posts.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Add to that the fact that DR does not have relations w/ China :) ...I am glad Costa Rica won, that is a country that I admire very much.