Unlimited incoming calls from the DR!!!

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Gracias Donrael

When I posted my finding I was too LAZY to write all the details,,,,, thank you Donrael for all of them.

When I first paid for one year choice of Plan809,,, I didn?t believe it,,then,,,I said,, Oh well,,, If this is a scam,, I am only out of 246. CD$,,, but it does works,, the broadbrand is my hero these day.....!!!

Anyway,,, I just wanted the brag some more,, thanks to Plan809 I was able to talk to a cheap date I once had,,( not that I care) but If this is SD,, still is a cheap date,, got my new number and it is trying to pull ?Sankie?on me,,, anyway,,, as I said before,, TRY it dor 24.95 wixh would represent a whole new idea

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
VirginiaGomes said:
The 1800 numbers work from Santiago but the charge you 10 pesos/minute and that can be very pricey. The toll free number in the DR is 1200 or 1-220 and it doesn't work with Vonage.
Having Vonage over there can be pricey and complicated (specially for older people) because in order for you to have Vonage you should have:

-DSL internet
-Unlimited minutes on your phone aka VIP plan (Last time I check it was about 1000.00 pesos)
-A computer online at basically all times (that will add to your electricity bill)
You do NOT need a computer to do the vonnage thing.

What this plan809 thing is, is basically just what you would do with voip to get free calls. Here is how you would do the Vonnage thing to get the best bang for your buck.

Let's say you live in NY. You would sign up for regular vonnage phone service in NY. Vonnage sends you the voip box and you activate it on your internet here in the states. You would have a NY number.

Since the box doesn't care WHERE it is as long as it has internet connectivity, you can take the phone box ANYWHERE and plug it into a high speed internet line and VIOLA! your NY number will ring there! Could be the DR....could be Hong Kong....it doesn't matter. Soooo, if you take the phone box to the DR and the person you want to talk to has flash or another high speed service, you plug in the box, and when someone in NY dials your local NY number, your phone rings at the box in the DR because the box doesn't care where it is physically located. Also, you can dial back the other way by just simply picking up the phone and dialing the NY (or any other US number) from the Vonnage box and it will be toll free. You still have to pay the 14.95 for vonnage and the roughly $50 per month for the high speed line in the DR but you can call unlimited both ways for about $65 total. I spend over $300 most months.

The new company is doing the same thing, using the same technology. It's about time someone started breaking Verizon's chokehold on the DR. I can call Hong Kong for 3 cents a minute, why not the DR?

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
twincactus said:
You do NOT need a computer to do the vonnage thing.

What this plan809 thing is, is basically just what you would do with voip to get free calls. Here is how you would do the Vonnage thing to get the best bang for your buck.

Let's say you live in NY. You would sign up for regular vonnage phone service in NY. Vonnage sends you the voip box and you activate it on your internet here in the states. You would have a NY number.

Since the box doesn't care WHERE it is as long as it has internet connectivity, you can take the phone box ANYWHERE and plug it into a high speed internet line and VIOLA!
The new company is doing the same thing, using the same technology.

You're telling me I don't need a computer, but I do need high speed internet for Vonnage?

No it is not the same technology. With the new company introduced you simply dial an access number from the landline you designated in the DR and make what amounts to a local call to the US.

Last edited:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
What I understood was, you designate a phone number in the US to be assigned an 809 number, so any phone in Santo Domingo can dial your 809 number and it will ring in your designated US number. If they are calling from a landline with VIP service, then their call will be for free.

How long does it take to have this service set up? chiquittabanana? donrael?

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
andrea9k said:
What I understood was, you designate a phone number in the US to be assigned an 809 number, so any phone in Santo Domingo can dial your 809 number and it will ring in your designated US number. If they are calling from a landline with VIP service, then their call will be for free.

How long does it take to have this service set up? chiquittabanana? donrael?

Andrea, no se!!

I dont have the service, i am just geting the info now. i assume it is quick since u don tneed any equipment setup. so no waiting

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
how do land lines work in DR?

if land lines have minutes allowance like cell phones, then it probably doenst make sense to use the plan809 joint. if you do, you;ll need to have them call you to make it worth while. but if they have minutes limits, then they'll be running the fat bill.

and it probably cost too much for them to use the unlimited calls option. w/ vonage this may not problem, but they would need to pay for the high speed internet. but to have vonage is only good when you call ONE place a lot. if yo have to call three or four places on weekly or monthly basis, plan809 seems better, but again, they'll run the big bill cause they are the ones calling.

1. do land lines have minutes allowance?

2. is it very expensive to have unlimited minutes?

3. what's the deal w/ cell phones and landlines on incoming calls?

4. " " " " " " " " outgoing calls?

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Questions about calls made and received

VirginiaGomes said:
donrael said:
1. do land lines have minutes allowance?
Yes, unless that you have the VIP phone service
2. is it very expensive to have unlimited minutes?
Over 1,000.00 pesos which makes about 1/5 of an average dominican monthly salary
QUOTE]

is there a difference between a received call and a call made??

for example, do land lines and cell phones get free incoming, or is there no difference??

gracias

flydr2

Feb 17, 2006
I use the service also

I also use this service...

Here is what they do... They are a VOIP provider and they also can assign an 809 number that is forwarded to any phone number in Canada and the US.

My number is 809-202-7242... it is forwarded to my Canadian home number.

So it's like having a Santo Domingo home number and you forward it to your house or cell in the US or Canada.

There is No time limit on calls and no other charges.
If you live in the US and you want anyone in the DR to be able to call you for free... this is the way to go.

Soon they will offer VOIP service accross the DR. (like Vontage but with a DR number or US number or both) This will be good if you live in the DR.

I got this number for my friends to call me for free from the DR.

On the negative side. You can't call the DR cheaper... at least not at this time

Hope this helps

Marc Robitaille

PS: if you register and use someone as a referal they give you a $5 discount.

Feel free to use my number of the one mention before.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
I signed up w/ plan809

ok, so I DID IT. I signed up w/ plan 809 and am in what I'll call a Beta phase...just testing it.

so far so good, except for a one or two compaints about the line sounding busy when somone tries to call me. But I am so happy that my family and some friends are able to call me without worrying that they cant speak for more than a few seconds. that on itself is almost worth the whole things.

i have had calls drop on more than one ocassion but cant tell who's at fault since this used to happen when using calling cards too. the telecom system in DR is TERRIBLE...just TERRIBLE. when one gets one out three calls dropped or most calls that go past 45 min. one cant help but think that's its the telco's and calling card comapnies (sometimes, they are both the same) behind this to cash on connections fees etc.

anyways, Its been two weeks, but I need a few months to feel like I am getting my moneys trully worth.

on another note, having an 809 number is great if you need to give a contaact to pick-up you dont want to give your real number too. heck, its good for them since they dont really pay much. this is of course, assuming you want to talk to him/her... in case you dont want your pick-up to call you...you wouldn't give them your number in the first place.

lastly, I started using their credit system (i forget the real name of the service) wher you can add money to you account and use that to call DR. it s easy, fast and convenient. its more expensive per minute, but you can stretch it a loonngg way by talking a few minutes then having them call you. or just saying call me at the 809 number. you also dont have the connection fees you get w/ calling cards. and if you have .50 cents left for six months, you keep you .50
ALL calling cards assume you dont have any need for pocket change in your card and they dont let you connect. at the end of the day after factoring initial conenctions fees, connections fees after say two dropped calls, and them keeping say .35 cents left on your card, you're not really getting what they promise. VOIP is a disruptive technology...BAD for the BIG guys GOOD for the LLIIIITTLLLEEE guys. DR will definetly benefit ina few years.

here in the U.S the gov approved the aquisitions of AT&T and BellSouth a few dyas ago and the merger of other like NEXTEl and MCI and the purchase os SPRINT by VERiZON if I am not misstaken. in a way it is ironic because it is allowing the very same companies that it broke to merge again and it has flipped roles as some of the babies of the break up are acquiring the "parent" company, as in the case of AT&T being bought by SBC. this however was allowed because the cable companies are now direct rivals to the TELCO's as they are offering internet and VOIP. the telcos are now retaliating by offering TV, as in the case of verizon which is wiring the country w/ fiber-optic cables to provide TV channels through its network. its a shakeout; pretty soon these industries will merge and will no longer be known as telco's and Cable/Satelite...they shall be known as Entertaiment/Media companies and there will be no diference between Verizon, AT&T, MCI and Cablevision, Comcast, COX etc.

WOW, WHAT THE INTERNET HAS DONE!

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
More good news!!

If your family/friends in any of the provinces have Tricom as a land line service provider, they can use the 809plan phone service the same way as anyboy in SD uses it calling with Verizon.

BTW,, I never gave my phone number to collect my 809points,,, so to all of you who will register with them, please quote 809-202-7082, you will get 5 bucks off and I will collect a point for every new registration.

CB;)

chiquittabanana said:
If your family/friends in any of the provinces have Tricom as a land line service provider, they can use the 809plan phone service the same way as anyboy in SD uses it calling with Verizon.

BTW,, I never gave my phone number to collect my 809points,,, so to all of you who will register with them, please quote 809-202-7082, you will get 5 bucks off and I will collect a point for every new registration.

CB;)
I will sure use it.

Sep 19, 2005
donrael said:
here in the U.S the gov approved the aquisitions of AT&T and BellSouth a few dyas ago and the merger of other like NEXTEl and MCI and the purchase os SPRINT by VERiZON if I am not misstaken.
WOW, WHAT THE INTERNET HAS DONE!

Sprint was bought by a company called TRINSIC.. I have them for my house phone.

bob

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
Sprint was bought by a company called TRINSIC.. I have them for my house phone.

bob

thank you bob

p.s. i always thought you were a woman, it has something to do w/ Laura pausini. not that you can be a male fan, but the name it self "Laura" in you Screen name.

lol

p.s.s. I like Laura pausini also, but my favorite italian singer is Eros Ramazzottti

Sep 19, 2005
donrael said:
thank you bob

p.s. i always thought you were a woman, it has something to do w/ Laura pausini. not that you can be a male fan, but the name it self "Laura" in you Screen name.

lol

p.s.s. I like Laura pausini also, but my favorite italian singer is Eros Ramazzottti

yeah it may be too late to change that screen name...I am getting used to the remarks anyway.... this site has actually mellowed me to just letting things slide

I like Eros as well...he has a duet with Andrea Bocelli I like.......

bob