Upcoming Sosua Trip: Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....I'm definitely leaning towards an overnight trip to SD.
Go for it, I think you and your wife will have a very nice time.

Take an early bus out of Sosua and you should be checked in your hotel in SD by very early afternoon. Walk El Conde, the Colonial Zone, the Malecon.

Adrian Tropical is a nice restaurant for dinner and is located right on the Caribe Sea. Take a horse drawn carriage ride along the Malecon, negotiate the price. Whatever they say walk away and the price will drop.

Jaragua Hotel has nightly entertainment, just some local talent but enjoyable. Play the slots for awhile. Shoot some pool with the wife in the sportsman bar. A "good" night sleep and a leisurely pace to catch the bus back to Sosua.

Whatever you do, don't try to make it a day trip.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
So on reflection, my recommendation for a trip to the capital has a thumbs up but as a day trip, bad idea!, As an overnight I have to say I may follow Bigbirds suggestions myself, sounds lovely!!!!
Again, good luck for the wedding day and enjoy your trip to the DR!

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
IMO..bringing a woman to Sosua on any kind of trip is like "bringing sand to the beach" you're only asking for trouble and I would suggest Punta Cana or some other vacation spot in the DR that's geared for "couples" ..do a little research before you travel anwhere.

Reactions: mike l

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
IMO..bringing a woman to Sosua on any kind of trip is like "bringing sand to the beach" you're only asking for trouble and I would suggest Punta Cana or some other vacation spot in the DR that's geared for "couples" ..do a little research before you travel anwhere.

I disagree 100% with your opinion but I defend 100% your right to hold it and state it, however, there are many many happy couples living here in Sosua who are uneffected by the "working girl" situation and there are many many more couples who return here year after year for their holidays.

amusiccale

Jun 29, 2009
Yes, the generosity of the internet assumes we did no research - we have friends that went there on their honeymoon and highly recommended it, so we're hoping for the best.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Forewarned is forearmed...just wouldn't like to see you get in trouble.:surprised

M

MRJone

What a people?

I disagree 100% with your opinion but I defend 100% your right to hold it and state it, however, there are many many happy couples living here in Sosua who are uneffected by the "working girl" situation and there are many many more couples who return here year after year for their holidays.

Black Dog, I agree with you. There are a lot of couples that live in Sosua and that come back to visit it. One good example of a happy American couple is the owners of Cafe Cubano. They are joyfully married and they seem to love living here. I have known them for a while now, and they are doing just fine. The working girls have never been an issue. Another example is the French couple that owns the restaurant two doors down. Sosua is full of married people. Thus, I don't understand why anyone would say that bringing your significant other would only get you in trouble in Sosua b/c of the working girls. To me, this assumption sound ignorant.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
A day trip to Santo DOmingo would be a long day, but you probably could see everything if you took the first bus there and the last one back at night. Not a whole lot worth seeing outside of the colonial zone, which is probably worth the trip. Have you thought of a more romantic setting for your honeymoon than Sosua? Maybe Cabarete or Punta Cana? Sosua is somehwat of a sh@thole that markets to sex tourism. It would be like traveling to Tijuana when you could go to Cabo San Lucas.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Disagree! Sosua has many romantic spots, there ARE bars with working girls but they don't chase couples down the street the way some people would have you believe!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you do a search on 49erman's posts, he seems to have an agenda. Perhaps his ex-novia from Classicos overcharged him for their companionship and he feels violated?

Sosua Beach happens to be beautiful, and if you are not looking for a new "friend" nobody bothers you with a firm shake of the index finger!

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
If you do a search on 49erman's posts, he seems to have an agenda. Perhaps his ex-novia from Classicos overcharged him for their companionship and he feels violated?

Sosua Beach happens to be beautiful, and if you are not looking for a new "friend" nobody bothers you with a firm shake of the index finger!

Tamborista,

But can you honestly tell me that is a place you would want to spend a honeymoon versus P.C. or even Cabarete? Hey, whatever floats your boat, but I think most people would choose the other two places..

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I agree with you Black Dog, We are one of the couples that return to Sosua year after year, sometimes twice a year and we don't have a problem with the "working girls" I think they know who to and not to approach. We've never been approached by any of them ever since we've been going to Sosua and we take daily walkswhile there. There are so many nice places in Sosua to experience, I wouldn't worry too much about the "ladies" spoiling your vacation.

Reactions: Black Dog
M

MRJone

Like Travelin to Tijuana, sure!!!

A day trip to Santo DOmingo would be a long day, but you probably could see everything if you took the first bus there and the last one back at night. Not a whole lot worth seeing outside of the colonial zone, which is probably worth the trip. Have you thought of a more romantic setting for your honeymoon than Sosua? Maybe Cabarete or Punta Cana? Sosua is somehwat of a sh@thole that markets to sex tourism. It would be like traveling to Tijuana when you could go to Cabo San Lucas.

There is no need to put down Sosua b/c of it's past. Man, how can you even compair Tijuana to Sosua. I need to say no more b/c it seems that some members on this site are full of it.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006

why do you focus on the negativity? In the same post, I said how nice Cabarete and Punta Cana (nicest beach I have ever seen) are

B

BettyDiamond

whatever.....................they all have different charms,thank goodness everywhere isnt the same lol

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
I apologize- Actually, after mentioning this to a buddy of mine over some cervezas, as we both unfortunately have been to both Tijuana and Sosua, we have come to the agreement that Tijuana is much, much more dangerous, but has better looking hookers, if you are into that sort of thing. Sosua is more charming, but many, but not all, of the hookers there are Haitians, have nasty C section scars u can use like a hand grip on a NFL football, or Both :bunny::bunny:

Hilarious!

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
i'm pretty sure we never saw a single brass whilst in sosua.. or if we need, they certainly didn't bother us in that way.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mmhmmm getting to the truth of the matter here ....it sounds like youve been around a bit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.