Update and Report on Basura Para Comida in Las Terrenas

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks, Virgo! I had wondered if Basura Para Comida was correct; but, you're the first person to point this out!

There are NO dumpsters/ garbage cans in this barrio, so taking from them wasn't possible (and people seemed to be monitoring each others' efforts pretty well) -- We're working now to get some Garbage Boxes placed and maintained--

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Our next project this month will be "Basura 4 Baseball"....
Here you probably want "basura por b?isbol" assuming you want everything in Spanish and that this is something like exchanging garbage for (something related to) baseball.

Prepositions are tricky. For might be "para" or "por" in Spanish, and at times it is hard to know which.

The number 4 to mean for makes sense in English because both are pronounced similar. In Spanish the 4 is out of place, since it would be taken to mean just 4 (4 sounds neither like por nor para).

You could try "basura X b?isbol", when the X should actually be a multiplication sign, which in Spanish is pronounced like the preposition POR, that is, "basura X b?isbol" = "basura por b?isbol".

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, Paul--
Right now I will continue to personally fund the clean-up events in El Manantial because:
1. there are many other organizations trying to fund their own worthy projects and I don't want to step on their toes! ;)
2. I am TERRIBLE at math and if I collect donations, I would have to keep track of who-gave-what..
3. I am VERY GOOD at saying "thank you" and would worry I missed acknowledging someone..

So.... I'll keep paying for it myself!

Our next project this month will be "Basura 4 Baseball".... watch for the announcement..and thanks again!
:) susan

Really proactive!!! Excellent win-win for everyone involved....Anytime people come together to serve the greater good it raises all of humanities vibration...Thank you

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, Paul--
Right now I will continue to personally fund the clean-up events in El Manantial because:
1. there are many other organizations trying to fund their own worthy projects and I don't want to step on their toes! ;)
2. I am TERRIBLE at math and if I collect donations, I would have to keep track of who-gave-what..
3. I am VERY GOOD at saying "thank you" and would worry I missed acknowledging someone..

So.... I'll keep paying for it myself!

Our next project this month will be "Basura 4 Baseball".... watch for the announcement..and thanks again!
:) susan

I completely understand and salute you for such an amazing attitude. But if you have a second, please just take a look at GoFundMe or any of the other fundraising websites, basically they do all this work for you. You just set up a project page and then people visit that page. People donate, the website tracks who gave what and makes it easy for you to say Thank You to everyone who donated.

I think it is great to come onto DR1 and read something so positive, and about something which has worked so well. Thanks again for your inspiration.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Here you probably want "basura por b?isbol" assuming you want everything in Spanish and that this is something like exchanging garbage for (something related to) baseball.

Thank you again, Virgo! I was just about to check Google Translate for the Spanish-- but it is rarely correct! ;)