Update from Haiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip - In Haiti, continuing massive loss of life will be prevented with man made structures and intervention.

Confining rivers with gabions would cost a few millions and save hundreds of lives per year.

Flash floods in Haiti are ultimately caused by tropical rain but the proximate cause of the yearly deaths is purely man-made.
And I repeat, this loss if life is easy to prevent by man made structures.

FACT

Yes. Too loss of life could have been prevented more than likely is building codes were enforced or even practiced for that matter. Not to mention apart from the earthquake if people had access to clean water.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
well I thought his article was ART

My issue with it is that he goes with the usual outside blaming for Haiti's issues, and also make it sound as if all the quarrels between the DR and Haiti have happened due to the DR's initiative, when the fact is that it has been a tango of two. A lot of the social, political and economic woes in Haiti have been self inflicted.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Easy - sounds expensive. Flash floods are caused by having no vegetation to absorb the excess water. What is a gabion?

Not expensive at all - around 40US$ each for the cages (1m cubes) and a few hundred bucks to transport the free local rock.

I saw a plan that never got funding from any of the NGOs to channel the river at Cabaret, just north of PaP.

3 million bucks to save on average around 40 lives per year.

Built into that price was 24% profit for the company that did the work.

Easy, cheap and effective - and lots of work for the local lads.

In fact it would be a doozie of a project - we would get to play with big yellow machines all day and eat lunch at the beach - you up for it?

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In fact it would be a doozie of a project - we would get to play with big yellow machines all day and eat lunch at the beach - you up for it?

I'm up for it but who's going to pay for it? :)

BTW, they could probably relocate the families and use the left over money to dig potable wells in the region and save more lives for the same amount of money.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yes. Too loss of life could have been prevented more than likely is building codes were enforced or even practiced for that matter. Not to mention apart from the earthquake if people had access to clean water.

Exactly - the reason so many people die and suffer is entirely man made - I think we are arguing the same thing here... lol

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Exactly - the reason so many people die and suffer is entirely man made - I think we are arguing the same thing here... lol

Most certainly. Honestly, I couldn't get through Junot piece as my pc meter filled up quick not to mention he is long winded too so I don't know everything he proposed.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Wow - that CV is heavily laden with Acronyms. UNMPHRNHPPP etc.

I guess you gotta understand your enemy, but I bet he writes a convincingly thorough report!

So now the flood gates will open and the money will start flowing and Haiti will be saved? Yay!

Now where do I buy those Haitian government issue bonds???

Anyway, enough heckling from the cheap seats - Good luck to him, I say.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
EATING my words eating my words ... He has only passed the Chamber of Deputies, not the Senate. But it was with 89 of 90 votes so there is a lot of hope. There is opposition because he does not quite fit the 5 years in Haiti residency requirement since he has been in Africa. But he was second to Bill Clinton.. And the thought it that the international community simply said BASTA YA.. you cannot expect us to keep asking for money when you guys do not even have a government in place.

of course it does not help that he is with the dreaded UN which brought cholera and now various rape charges... but... well.. on y va.. so let us hope that by mid week my post will be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.