Updates in overstay penalty fees?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I paid $3000RD for three of us. it felt like paying express service flying out from STI. When we walked in there was long line and the lady asked to see us the Passport and she told me to go to the counter and paid our fine and walked to the other counter and got our stamp. We skipped long lines so we had enough time to get cuople of bottles of single malt and our lunch at the Nathans without rushing ourselves. If they can have me skip loooong lines from check in to boarding every time I can see myself paying $1000rd for that service.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not? The definition of small is in the eyes of the beholder, also maybe it's not the actual price that matters.

Then get your residency, NO country allows you to stay forever without getting a Visa or passport, do you have a point?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I remember rushing for my flight not knowing about these fees, because my first time in Santo Domingo lasted just a couple of days therefore I didn't have to pay anything when leaving. Then when leaving again they hit me with the fee. I wasn't aware of it.

To look back at it, I don't know what I was thinking but I was looking for a fight at the counter and they actually let me enter the plane without paying.

They were right and I was wrong, but then you couldn't tell me anything!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What fees are you talking about, unless this was 10 years ago, when the "Departure Tax" was not included in the plane ticket?
Overstay fees are only applicable if you OVERSTAY!

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
Then get your residency, NO country allows you to stay forever without getting a Visa or passport, do you have a point?

No country allows you to make money without paying taxes, but if you complain do you have a point?

No country allows you to speed, but if you complain do you have a point?

No country allows you to ...

Get it?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
What fees are you talking about, unless this was 10 years ago, when the "Departure Tax" was not included in the plane ticket?
Overstay fees are only applicable if you OVERSTAY!

I appreciate your effort, but it isn't necessary.

When reading this topic I was aware of the fact that the topic was about paying too much for overstaying.

My story is about the fact that I wasn't even aware of paying at all, yeah I needed to pay because I was overstaying but I didn't even know I was overstaying.

So I'm talking about the same overstaying fees this topic is about.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I appreciate your effort, but it isn't necessary.

When reading this topic I was aware of the fact that the topic was about paying too much for overstaying.

My story is about the fact that I wasn't even aware of paying at all, yeah I needed to pay because I was overstaying but I didn't even know I was overstaying.

So I'm talking about the same overstaying fees this topic is about.

You may consider 1/2 decaf next pot there!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I remember rushing for my flight not knowing about these fees, because my first time in Santo Domingo lasted just a couple of days therefore I didn't have to pay anything when leaving. Then when leaving again they hit me with the fee. I wasn't aware of it.

This post just does not make sense, you state you were in SDQ for a few days, yet had to pay the overstay fee???
I believe it is you that has a communication problem, not I understanding your jibberish.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
This post just does not make sense, you state you were in SDQ for a few days, yet had to pay the overstay fee???
I believe it is you that has a communication problem, not I understanding your jibberish.

LOL! I understand when your putting your teeth in something it's hard to let go.

* I remember rushing for my flight not knowing about these fees!

- which fees?
* Doesn't matter!

Because my first time in Santo Domingo lasted just a couple of days, therefore I didn't have to pay anything when leaving!

- duh! you only stayed a couple of days.
* Yes you're probably right.

* Then when leaving again..

- again? ooowh, you came back and then you left.. again.
* Yes!

* .. they hit me with the fee!

- what fee?
* They were talking about overstaying fee!

- oowh wait, so the first time there was no fee because you stayed for not too long and then an other time you stayed longer then you did before but still you didn't think you had to pay for that stay which was overstaying?
* Correctly!

- i actually wanted to act smart and i wanted to make a fool out of you, but i'm glad i asked you what you were talking about before jumping conclusions.
* Ooh well, maybe it helps to read.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
So how long did you overstay?

I forgot, looking back at my traveling details I've been in Santo Domingo for only less than 60 days.

I never knew that 60 days is overstaying, and I never to be honest heard of the term overstaying meaning I understand if you're going to a country for the purpose to live there but you make it seem you're on holiday but that hasn't got anything to do with my thoughts.

And even if when "overstaying", I never knew about the repercussions other than never being able to get back into that country.

The whole overstaying fee was new for me.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
When we left, I had to pay the fee. The customs agent sent us to a booth, which had a very clearly posted scale. And yes, it was in pesos or dollars. And it was for anyone who was not a Dominican citizen.
So a Dominican-born who is also a Canadian citizen, travelling with a Canadian passport does NOT have to pay any overstay fee. All he has to do is show his cedula. Please confirm.

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
So a Dominican-born who is also a Canadian citizen, travelling with a Canadian passport does NOT have to pay any overstay fee. All he has to do is show his cedula. Please confirm.

That is correct. Doesn't your passport say where you were born ? if it does, that's all you need to show.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

100% correct - show cedula or passport and you're fine.. this also applies to the $10 tourist tax - if you show DR passport you don't have to pay those either.

Otherwise you must pay the tourist and the overstay tax - after staying more than 30 days, you must pay an 'overstay' tax. This goes for any and all... and has nothing to do with the duration of your visa... they are not the same. People who are legally in the country for more than 30 days and who are not a citizen must pay the overstay tax.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
100% correct - show cedula or passport and you're fine.. this also applies to the $10 tourist tax - if you show DR passport you don't have to pay those either.

Otherwise you must pay the tourist and the overstay tax - after staying more than 30 days, you must pay an 'overstay' tax. This goes for any and all... and has nothing to do with the duration of your visa... they are not the same. People who are legally in the country for more than 30 days and who are not a citizen must pay the overstay tax.

That only makes sense in the DR.
NOT.

I am not a DR Citizen and I spend most of my time in the DR. I do not pay an overstay fee when I leave the DR because I have DR residency.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Notes that reference translates the fee as a TAX and note a fine legal or otherwise.
When I leave and I know that I will have to pay the tax the first thing I do is go pay the tax.
When I get to agent he does not even look at the form and receipt. He stamps the passport and I am off.

Once the agent objected to the fact that the pages were not stapled together.
I explained that I had packed my stapler and he let me go.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Bob

The card is good for 60 days and you can renew in country. You don't have to leave the DR.

Please look at the reference site. It is 30 not 60 days.
I am just trying stop another 10,000 threads discussing the 30-60 day thing.
I agree some DR web site for countries like Canada say 60 Days but the statement is incorrect.

DS