US auto imports no duty after Jan 2010, read important info on this!

Jan 9, 2004
Three points....

Is this the same if you are a returning Dominican? My wife (Dominican) and I are thinking about bringing in my American built 2007 Toyota RAV4.

worth noting. Canada is not, to my knowledge, a signatory to DR/CAFTA, therefore I would question the DGA officials response with regard to vehicles made in Canada. The other information provided by the previous poster seems to comport with what I have also ben told by DGA.

Secondly, If you are a resident you may bring in that vehicle under Ley 168, I believe. That is also a reduced, but not eliminated, duty structure.

Finally, Bob you indicate the vehicle is in your name. If that is the case, and you are a resident, you would probably be best bringing it in under Ley 168. If the vehicle is titled in your wife's name, and has been for the previous year, then she could bring it back under a "returning Dominican" reduced duty structure.

For clarification, a "Certificate of Origin" is the document that comes with a "new" vehicle purchased from a dealer. When purchased, the buyer turns in the "'CO" to the registering authority and rceives a title. A title indicates the vehicle is no longer "new" and has entered the stream of commerce. To the best of my knowledge, only "new" vehicles with a "CO" are allowed to enter under DR/CAFTA, not used vehicles with a title.

To reiterate, there are a number of reduced duty incentives for "used vehicles" (ley 168/returning Dominicans/licensed dealers) but DR/CAFTA is, from all I have been told and read, only applicable to "new" vehicles....and only to those that qualify under the rules of origin outlined in the agreement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Hipocrito...

My problem now is getting my hands on a certificate of origin. I'm planning to buy a 2007 Ford for export to DR, and I contacted Ford about obtaining the certificate of origin, but was told that they only issue it once, to the original dealer (owner), so now I'm stuck.

How do I get my hands on the certificate of origin? Any ideas?

you will not likely ever get a "C.O." One of the purposes of a "C.O." is to identify the country of manufacture based upon the percentage of parts going into the vehicle. Once that vehicle enters the stream of commerce, the manufacturer has no way of knowing to what extent the percentage of parts may have changed and thus whether it still qualifies as having lets say 35% of its component parts made in a signatory country to the DR/CAFTA agreement.

For a moment, lets just take your 2007 Ford as an example. How do you prove it contains the requisite percent of parts to qualify the vehicle as American. Yes, the VIN number will tell us where the vehicle was made...but the analysis canot stop there. Your vehicle is now three years old and may have had many component parts changed from accidents/maintenance/add on items that were previously made in the USA and qualified the vehicle under the percentage of component parts, but now are/were made from outside sources (read Japan, China, etc.).

As a used vehicle, there is just no realistic way to prove it still maintains the requisite percentages of parts to qualify as faling under the DR/CAFTA agreement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
worth noting. Canada is not, to my knowledge, a signatory to DR/CAFTA, therefore I would question the DGA officials response with regard to vehicles made in Canada. The other information provided by the previous poster seems to comport with what I have also ben told by DGA.

Secondly, If you are a resident you may bring in that vehicle under Ley 168, I believe. That is also a reduced, but not eliminated, duty structure.

Finally, Bob you indicate the vehicle is in your name. If that is the case, and you are a resident, you would probably be best bringing it in under Ley 168. If the vehicle is titled in your wife's name, and has been for the previous year, then she could bring it back under a "returning Dominican" reduced duty structure.

For clarification, a "Certificate of Origin" is the document that comes with a "new" vehicle purchased from a dealer. When purchased, the buyer turns in the "'CO" to the registering authority and rceives a title. A title indicates the vehicle is no longer "new" and has entered the stream of commerce. To the best of my knowledge, only "new" vehicles with a "CO" are allowed to enter under DR/CAFTA, not used vehicles with a title.

To reiterate, there are a number of reduced duty incentives for "used vehicles" (ley 168/returning Dominicans/licensed dealers) but DR/CAFTA is, from all I have been told and read, only applicable to "new" vehicles....and only to those that qualify under the rules of origin outlined in the agreement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RAV4 as I stated is American made, it is in both our names, and I will be a resident, so we can bring it under returning Dominican or under resident status. I'm just not sure it's worth the hastle either way.

Jan 9, 2004
From a tax....

RAV4 as I stated is American made, it is in both our names, and I will be a resident, so we can bring it under returning Dominican or under resident status. I'm just not sure it's worth the hastle either way.

saving perspective, I would think it would be well worth the hassle to get it in under the "returning Dominican" reduced duty schedule. You just need to verify that a dual titled vehicle, when one party listed on the title is not Dominican (even though a resident) can qualify under that status. If you decide to ship it, find out now as I am sure there will be much head scratching once it arrives....and the likely result will probably not be in your favor.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 5, 2006
After some brainstorming, I have a few ideas. I have to call the DGA and my state DMV to see if what I'm thinking will work. I'll post more on my findings when I have some answers.

Jan 5, 2006
Update - good news!!!

After doing some further research and making a few more calls, I have some definite answers and a way to make this work.

The DGA requires the original (never available; will explain below) or a certified copy of the original manufacturer's certificate of origin for the vehicle. The vehicle can be used, as long as it is model year 2004 or newer.

You can obtain a certified copy of the COO from your state division of motor vehicles. Before you can export a vehicle out of the US, you need to obtain a title search from your state DMV, to certify that there are no outstanding liens on the vehicle, and that you are the sole owner of said vehicle. During the course of this search, the DMV can retrieve a copy of the original COO and certify it for you.

On a final note, the COO is only available from the DMV in the state where the vehicle was originally titled. The original COO is only issued once by the manufacturer, and is kept by the DMV, when it is replaced by a title issued in the name of the first owner. This is the reason why you can only obtain a copy.

I'm going to be doing all this myself, starting with buying a vehicle shortly. I'm planning to move along quickly, so I should know how it all works out within 4 to 6 weeks. I'll post updates on my experience. Wish me luck! :)

Reactions: windeguy
Jan 9, 2004
That is fantastic news...

After doing some further research and making a few more calls, I have some definite answers and a way to make this work.

The DGA requires the original (never available; will explain below) or a certified copy of the original manufacturer's certificate of origin for the vehicle. The vehicle can be used, as long as it is model year 2004 or newer.

You can obtain a certified copy of the COO from your state division of motor vehicles. Before you can export a vehicle out of the US, you need to obtain a title search from your state DMV, to certify that there are no outstanding liens on the vehicle, and that you are the sole owner of said vehicle. During the course of this search, the DMV can retrieve a copy of the original COO and certify it for you.

On a final note, the COO is only available from the DMV in the state where the vehicle was originally titled. The original COO is only issued once by the manufacturer, and is kept by the DMV, when it is replaced by a title issued in the name of the first owner. This is the reason why you can only obtain a copy.

I'm going to be doing all this myself, starting with buying a vehicle shortly. I'm planning to move along quickly, so I should know how it all works out within 4 to 6 weeks. I'll post updates on my experience. Wish me luck! :)

...and please keep us posted as to how you are succeeding.

FYI: Carfax, if available on the vehicle you are interested in, will provide you with the state where the vehicle was first registered and thus the place to start in finding the Certificate of Origin.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

all is lost

Nov 18, 2006
An easy answer

Dominican style.
When I lived in La Paz, Mex. The Gringos had a not for profit organization....Mascotes de La Paz. We looked after street dogs. Now if there was an equal organization here, say Mascotes de (name your provance) and they were non=profit charitable organizatins (see were I' m going here) and evry member needed transportation to check out the hwys and byways, well they would all have red plates. No import, no taxes ( just like moving to a ranch in Utah). Totaly legal. What you think???

Last edited:

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Don't ask, don't tell

I know what a 2010 Rav4 costs in Miami.
I know what the shipper will charge for delivery to the Santo Domingo port.
After that it's anybody's guess. With the COO and a qualifying US part percentage I know it's supposed to cost 16% for the IBIS and 17% for licensing but nobody will commit to this. The shippers I've talked to refer you to the outdated DGA website and tell you to enter the model as a 2008 because the tables haven't been updated for 2 years (what DR-CAFTA?) After the car has been shipped and is sitting in customs only then will I be informed what the charge is to release it. The importers in the DR tell me that after Jan 1, 2010 it now costs slightly more to import a vehicle into the DR. When I mention DR-CAFTA they mumble something, put me on hold, then disconnect the call. The shippers recommend that I work with a dealer in the DR. When I talk to a dealer I feel like red meat. My conclusion is that nobody associated with vehicle importation in the DR likes DR-CAFTA and if you save a nickle it's going to be like pulling teeth. This is going to take a while to sort itself out.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009

All of us - myself, my family and my friends sincerely wish you a good luck and strength in your noble fight against these uncountable and countless shameless crooks who try to rip us off here since our very first step in this tropical land.

God bless you in your Holy War!

Jan 5, 2006
The DGA is really not as bad as some of you make it out to be. I have always been able to get clear and concise answers to my questions from them, and compared to dealing with many other governmental offices, they are relatively efficient.

I don't expect them to give you an exact rate in advanced on a vehicle, until they have the actual vehicle there, because there are many variables in determinitng the value of a vehicle. However, if you look at their website or call and speak to a rep, you can get an accurate range of what you should expect to pay. They will also tell you up-front exactly which documents you will need to complete your transaction.

As for the DR-CAFTA; it is new and importers are unfamiliar with it, so it is to be expected that they dislike it, because they don't know it. It's a lot easier for them to go with the status quo, than to learn a new process. In realilty, it is quite simple. In the case of a vehicle, the value to be used is the same. The significant differences are that you must provide a COO to prove that the vehicle qualifies based on its country of origin, that you must make it clear that you are opting for DR-CAFTA consideration, (same if you're opting for Law 168) and that you will pay less to bring it into the country.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Just delete the BS about US manufacturers and US regulatory agencies (think NHTSB) providing better and safer cars. Next you'll be touting the FDA.
Your info is great and illuminating. The backwards US auto industry and the corrupt overstaffed and overstuffed US govt bureau-rats don't need more propping up.

Jan 5, 2006
Just wanted to post an update on my quest.

I finally bought a car early this week, and after some phone calls figured out where it was originally titled. Sent the request and a check for $10 to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, and should have a certified copy of the original MCO in my mailbox in 10-14 days.

I also spoke to a friend of a friend who imports cars into the DR for a living and told me that DR-CAFTA is being used successfully, so I don't foresee any problems.

My car will be on a boat as soon as I get the MCO. I'll keep this thread updated. :)

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Pretty straight forward with DR-CAFTA

For example: New 2010 Honda CRV. Dicker over the phone with Honda dealers in Miami. Find a Honda CRV LX for 20,500. Wire the money to the dealer. For $550 a shipper will pick up the car, drive it to the dock and ship it to Santo Domingo. You pay no Florida licensing or sales tax. To pick up the car in customs you only need to pay 16% IBIS and 17% for the first license plate based on the sales invoice of the vehicle (20,500). Total cost of a brand new Honda CRV in your driveway is $27,815. COO on a new Honda CRV shows 65% US parts. Not bad for the DR and all you had to do was make a couple of phone calls.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Vehicle value

My post about a Honda CRV was based on a conversation I had with the director of customs in the DR. I can provide his contact information upon request. For new vehicles they will use the sales invoice. They also acknowlege that there is a strong incentive to understate the value of vehicles entering the DR. If they feel that an invoice or an estimated value does not represent a true value of a vehicle they reserve the right to substitute what they consider to be fair value. He stated this happens most often with used vehicles where the value is more arbitrary. He also stated that my new car invoice from a Miami dealer would suffice as the value for computing the tax and license fees. He said that if this proceedure was not followed I should contact him and he would see that it was. Additionally, I inquired if it would benefit me to use a Dominican dealer when importing a vehicle. He stated that local dealers will pay exactly the same amount in tax and license fees that I would as a private citizen and that using a dealer would unnessarily complicate the importation as it would be imported with the dealer named as owner which could lead to problems for me. The following is speculation. I think that the DR-Cafta law is too new to be vetted and that a way to protect local dealers will certainly be developed. Get it now while the gettin' is good.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Just wanted to post an update on my quest.

I finally bought a car early this week, and after some phone calls figured out where it was originally titled. Sent the request and a check for $10 to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, and should have a certified copy of the original MCO in my mailbox in 10-14 days.

I also spoke to a friend of a friend who imports cars into the DR for a living and told me that DR-CAFTA is being used successfully, so I don't foresee any problems.

My car will be on a boat as soon as I get the MCO. I'll keep this thread updated. :)

Hows it going with importing the car to DR?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I currently have an extended lease on a Honda Accord EX 2007. (I simply extended my lease after the 3 year contract and I can buy this car at any moment from Honda as per the agreement). I'm thinking of buying it and sending it to DR via Puerto Plata. I'm officially a resident of DR. What would be cheaper? Bringing it under Ley 168 or under the Dr-Cafta law? My VIN stars with a 1 meaning its American made. I know I would need to get the Certificate of Origin.

I've been reading the forum:
Under DR CAFTA, I would pay 16% ITBIS and 17% primera placa and 0% customs
Under Ley 168, I would pay 40% and who knows what else...

Am I right?

Would I need someone(a broker?) over in DR with connections and knowledge to get the car out of customs over there?

I prefer to take my Accord to DR than buying some used car in DR that I don't know, although I know a dealer who I know and can buy a used car from him, BUT, obviously he's not as interested in helping me bring my Accord into the DR, or giving me info on that....even though I'm willing to pay him since he would know his way around....!

Any thoughts?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Bringing car from Miami to Santiago

I currently have an extended lease on a Honda Accord EX 2007. (I simply extended my lease after the 3 year contract and I can buy this car at any moment from Honda as per the agreement). I'm thinking of buying it and sending it to DR via Puerto Plata. I'm officially a resident of DR. What would be cheaper? Bringing it under Ley 168 or under the Dr-Cafta law? My VIN stars with a 1 meaning its American made. I know I would need to get the Certificate of Origin.

I've been reading the forum:
Under DR CAFTA, I would pay 16% ITBIS and 17% primera placa and 0% customs
Under Ley 168, I would pay 40% and who knows what else...

Am I right?

Would I need someone(a broker?) over in DR with connections and knowledge to get the car out of customs over there?

I prefer to take my Accord to DR than buying some used car in DR that I don't know, although I know a dealer who I know and can buy a used car from him, BUT, obviously he's not as interested in helping me bring my Accord into the DR, or giving me info on that....even though I'm willing to pay him since he would know his way around....!

Any thoughts?