US Dollar Accounts

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
Sadly, it often seems to be the Dominican way. Rip off the client for a few pesos a wonder why they never come back. It never seems to occur to them that treating a customer well will be much more profitable in the long run!

Sad but true, that is why I do no more business with Popular, Progreso, Reservas, Scotia nor Leon

Give me my BHD any time

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I just checked my Banco Pop account, they charged me $20 in November and $10 bucks yesterday... I haven't touched the account in about 8 months... This is the first charge I have ever had from them in 2 years... I was always getting a few shekels in compensation.... oh well....

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
santa cruz takes the government tax out of me every three months; Imp. 1.5 Por 1000 S/Ley 288-04

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Same here, keep everything in banks abroad, gives me shivers thinking about dominican banks...... thankfully I have family who will withdraw cash on my accounts and send them over by Ria ( 5chf by transaction), pick up at any caribe express 30 min later or have it home delivered!!!
The accounts are free and even pay out a tiny bit of intrest.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Short, I have been cashing my USA personal bank checks at the same "Exchange House" for 26 years.
They give me "Dollar for Dollar" if I want US dollars in cash.
They charge most customers a small fee for that service.
If I want DR pesos for my US dollar checks, I get a small amount less than if you change US dollars at "Vimenca" or other exchange houses.
Dollar for Dollar, Peso For Peso", or any combination thereof, I think that changing your personal dollar checks where you have a relationship is the BEST, and SAFEST way to get your money here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., I now NEVER use a foreign bank's credit, or debit card, here in the DR.
Too many "Problems"
If it's not the DR bank's fault, it's unauthorized " withdrawls" by "Who The F*#K knows"??????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
So how do you go about getting an introduction to a cambista? There are plenty of posts indicating that you need an introduction but nothing on how to get one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
So how do you go about getting an introduction to a cambista? There are plenty of posts indicating that you need an introduction but nothing on how to get one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I went down and introduced myself.
Went to several cambios and spoke with the boss. Asked about the rates. With the one I felt most comfotable in, I told him I had been in the same apartment for 6 years and showed him the papers for my motorcycle. Then I cashed a check for $500 US. After the check cleared (in about a week) I went back and cashed one for $750. Since then I routinely write a personal check for $1000 every 2 weeks or so.
Popo is the jefe. Good man. In Sosua on PC next to the old Plutos/Happy Bar.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can follow "Tim's" good advice.
If you know someone with a relationship at a casa de cambio, who knows you well enough to introduce you, that should also work.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
It seems like the general consensus is that BHD is the best bank in the DR to deal with, is that correct? I've already tried with Scotia and I'll never willingly set foot in that bank again after the way they treated me. I'm beginning to feel the same about Popular after doing the account opening dance for 3 months now. I've never in my life seen people so reluctant to get their hands on my money. It's...weird. But if BHD is decent I'd be more than willing to give them a shot.

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
It seems like the general consensus is that BHD is the best bank in the DR to deal with, is that correct? I've already tried with Scotia and I'll never willingly set foot in that bank again after the way they treated me. I'm beginning to feel the same about Popular after doing the account opening dance for 3 months now. I've never in my life seen people so reluctant to get their hands on my money. It's...weird. But if BHD is decent I'd be more than willing to give them a shot.

To me, BHD is the best bank in DR

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
This is exactly what has happened to me but I know the branch manager personally and will seek a refund upon my return to the DR next month.

I just checked my Banco Pop account, they charged me $20 in November and $10 bucks yesterday... I haven't touched the account in about 8 months... This is the first charge I have ever had from them in 2 years... I was always getting a few shekels in compensation.... oh well....

THE JEFE

Dec 24, 2013
Greetings to ALL....... lot of very well inputs HERE great reading on everyone insight.

Do you have to be a Dominican Republic citizen to open an BANK ACCOUNT ? or do i just fill out paper work then i will have an account?

thanks to ALL