US Embassy Warns About Demonstrations

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (November 9, 2023)

Event: Demonstrations in several towns in the Cibao have been announced for Monday, November 13, starting at 6:00 AM. The Cibao is a northern region of the Dominican Republic consisting of 14 provinces: Dajabon, Duarte, Espaillat, Hermanas Mirabal, La Vega, María Trinidad Sánchez, Monseñor Nouel, Monte Cristi, Puerto Plata, Samaná, Sánchez Ramirez, Santiago, Santiago Rodriguez, and Valverde.

The organizers intend to protest economic policies and the cost of living and have called for the closure of all commercial and industrial service establishments, as well as the total paralysis of labor, financial, transportation, and education activity in the Cibao for 24 hours. Towns which may be affected by the strike and demonstrations include Nagua, Samana, Salcedo, San Francisco de Macoris, Santiago, Moca, Bonao, Navarrete, Santiago Rodriguez, and Dajabon.

Actions to Take:

· Avoid large crowds and demonstrations.

· Monitor local media for updates.

· Notify friends and family of your safety.

· Make contingency plans to leave the area if you recognize demonstrations forming.

· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible, and carry a copy of your passport.

Assistance:

· U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo

Av. República de Colombia 57, Santo Domingo

Emergencies: 1-809-567-7775

Non-emergency inquiries: SDOAmericans@state.gov

Website: https://do.usembassy.gov/ or follow on Twitter and Facebook

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm curious as to how one demonstrates against "cost of living". Who in that crowd would know what 10's of thousands economists across the universe have a hard time calculating how to bring it down?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The ignorance is incredible. As a former dullnorm president said, " Let them eat plantains".

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I'm curious as to how one demonstrates against "cost of living". Who in that crowd would know what 10's of thousands economists across the universe have a hard time calculating how to bring it down?
When a single plantain costs 30 pesos on an island where they grow everywhere, an economist isn't necessary. Folks need to start being locked up.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
30 pesos? Ouch. When we left in April they were 24-25 pesos in supermarkets and about 20 at the farm stands (less if you bought the whole racimo).
in Cab, unless you buy the tiny ones on the truck, you're paying about 25 I think. A friend in the Alcarrizos reported in 30 pesos last week! Let's not get started on the coffee at 300/pound. Not imported, but local grown and roasted, wtw???. Simple, low end quality Induveca cold cuts (i.e. colmado ham) at 300 pesos/pound? This isnt an economic puzzle, it's organized crime.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

Big

Apr 24, 2019
laziness, lack of ambition and no life plan will be the common denominators of the demonstrators.

Reactions: reilleyp

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
laziness, lack of ambition and no life plan will be the common denominators of the demonstrators.
Not true.
I know people down here putting 55 hours a week with take home pay of RD$3,800 per week and some of them are taking classes on top on that. Zona Francas across the country are full of them. Inflation is the root cause along with an administration who cares more about tourist than the poor.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Not true.
I know people down here putting 55 hours a week with take home pay of RD$3,800 per week and some of them are taking classes on top on that. Zona Francas across the country are full of them. Inflation is the root cause along with an administration who cares more about tourist than the poor.
Inflation and price fixing/gouging are very different

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Not true.
It a capitalist society they are called underachievers. .

Big

Apr 24, 2019
But somehow many Dominicans seem to be much much happier than most on dr1...... go figure.
I think it's the rum. If I was concerned about 30 pesos I would do an indepth analysis of my life, not my budget.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I think it's the rum. If I was concerned about 30 pesos I would do an indepth analysis of my life, not my budget.
Nah, can't be. Rum is a staple of Dominicans and dr1ers alike 😂😂😂

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
I will go out on a limb and say most businesses will be open...Americans and foreigners no need to lock yourselves up...

Reactions: drstock