US Embassy Warns About Demonstrations

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Prices rise and rise....everyday working salaries stay the same....the rich, and government, get richer......been that way since I first arrived in 2002.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
You think this is the ONLY Country it happens in......
Well, I know in the states it's bad, but my salary does go up each year. At least there's that. Plantain are currently cheaper here than there in the DR, where they're grown. Does THAT happen in every country? And don't get me started on the coffee. I remember when the gov made the agreement with Venezuela for gas for rice and beans, promising lower gas prices. Everyone was excited. Trade went through and prices never came down....now that was the perfect typical DR gov move, pocketing the profits.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You think this is the ONLY Country it happens in......

Of course not, but most of us come from countries where an average salary allows you to sustain a wife, 1 and half kids, a decent house, running potable water, a couple of vacations per year, a new-ish car, etc, etc ....

So it makes it less hard to accept that a select few hoard most of the wealth.
The average Dominican on the other hand......

I am always amazed that Dominicans have not yet hung politicians and other corrupt elites by their balls. Dominicans are being robbed blind year after year......and seem to accept it as a fact of life.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Of course not, but most of us come from countries where an average salary allows you to sustain a wife, 1 and half kids, a decent house, running potable water, a couple of vacations per year, a new-ish car, etc, etc ....

So it makes it less hard to accept that a select few hoard most of the wealth.
The average Dominican on the other hand......

I am always amazed that Dominicans have not yet hung politicians and other corrupt elites by their balls. Dominicans are being robbed blind year after year......and seem to accept it as a fact of life.
Well, at least every election year they get offered a chicken and a bag of rice for their vote. There's that.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I guess the demonstrations were a big dud(?). Dominicans know better than to have riots like in the US and Europe. The government will send out the troops fast and start cracking heads here.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I guess the demonstrations were a big dud(?). Dominicans know better than to have riots like in the US and Europe. The government will send out the troops fast and start cracking heads here.

Hence rice&beans multiple times a week and bathing with a bucket.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think there were any demonstrations in Cabarete or Sosua. So, less than a dud in my area.