US Marines Occupy Haina and Embajador Hotel. 82nd Airborne Lands at San Isidro.

PAULINOABRIL65

Dishonorable Discharge...
Sep 12, 2003
LONDON 1966 !

Guys, when I write my memoirs mostly in reference to what happened in April of 1965 in DR and thereafter, you will be one of the first ones to know about it, I am getting a lot of calls from people lobbying for me to write about it, pictures like this will be in my book, take a look at this good looking London gentleman in 1965 !

Moderator's note:
PLEASE, cut the pictures. It's getting annoying and they don't add anything to the debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
After speaking to a family member....on April 28th(?), 1965 after the US had decided to send the troops....my father and aunt did write an exhortation to the populace to take up arms and resist....she hand delivered the note to the radio station that was controlled by the rebels...what the note exactly said...i don't know yet....

Paulino, you mention a list of 54 "communists" ....do you know the names on that list? I would be most curious....

L

Luis Puesan

I think that you guys are based your comments and conclusion from a book that has only the point of view of an American that was appointed by the American government and have questionable feeling toward the Dominican people and the Dominican society prior and post Trujillo.
Juan Bosch was not a communism, I read a lot books and reports from people that hated him, admired him and followed him for more than 20 years now, and I put together all information about Bosch in an article that I wrote (in Spanish of course) about the Dominican Civil War of 1965 and the American Invasion.
After the Military Junta overthrew Bosch and the Triumvirate came to power, the Dominican Armed forces were divided in several clans or "grupos" of military officers that each of them had their own agenda. The San Cristobal Clan was founded by General Neivas Seijas wanted Balaguer back, colonel Fernandez Dominguez wanted the continuation of Bosch government because the people had chosen him, this movement of colonel Dominguez later was known as the Constitutionalists. Caamano was not in that group yet, until January 1965. Caamano was the commanding officer of the Police Riot Unit " Los Cascos Blancos" Everyone hated them because they were very brutal in handling riots and prisioners during the almost 24 months of the Triumvirate government.
The Church played an important role about the rumor that Bosch was a communist when a Spaniard priest challenge Bosch's speech and openly accused him to be a Communist several months before de 1962 December election. All Catholic radio stations began a campaign telling the Dominican people "not to vote for Bosch". A few days before the election, Bosch announced that he "will withdraw" himself from the election unless that the Church apologize. The Church did it. And the PRD when to the election and won 59% of the Vote. However, the Church did not allow Bosch got away with this easily, with the "Pastoral of 1963" openly accused the president and the government as a Communist; and that was really the excuse that the military gave to take him down several weeks later. You can see all was a planned "Golpe" where the oligarchy of the Dominican society (Trujillo's inspired), the Church and military officers, conspired all against the elected government of Bosch. The American government supported this immediately they got to power.
During the Triumvirate, the 14 de Junio and several leftist parties (MPD and among others) organized a guerrilla front in six regions but rapidly were overcame by the armed forces and Manolo Tavares Justo (husband of Minerva Mirabal) died fighting in the mountains. This was important to know because the Dominican Military eliminated all communist armed resistances in the country from late 1963 to early 1964. Most of the communist that recibed training in Cuba died during that period. Therefore, there was not treat by communist forces to take over the Dominican Republic.
The Dominican government heard rumors about those military officers' "clans" or "Grupos"; and by mid 1963, colonel Fernandez Dominguez was sent as Military attach? to the Dominican Embassy in London. Then in January he came back in route to Chile, where he was transferred, here he made contact with Caamano and with Caamano came a group of others young officers including Captain Montes Arache leader of the Elite Commandoes Unit of the Dominican Navy. The leader of this group "Constitutionalists" was not Caamano upon the absent of Colonel Dominguez, it was colonel Hernando Ramirez, who directed and coordinated the occupation of the National Palace and several important places during the first two days of the Civil War and Caamano was his second in command and in charge of logistic.
The plan of the Constitutionalists were to strike on the 26 of April but they also have a contingency plan just in case they were discovered before hand or one of them was taken prisoner. That was what really happened, General Cuesta, chief of staff of the Army had a "trap" to dismantle the group on the morning of 24th of April. After taking 4 constitutionalists officers under arrest Captain Mario Pena Tavares with a group of NCO arrested general Cuesta and most of the commanding officers of the Army headquarter and freed his comrades in arms. At the same time, he instructed the officers from the "27 de Febrero" Military Camp to initiate the revolt. Then he called by phone to Tribuna Democratica that was on the air and spoke with Pena Gomez who began announcing that the government was sieged by a group of young officers and called the civilian population to support the coup.
Meanwhile, the rest of the Dominican military did not react because they were waiting to see the consequences from the "rebels" actions. General Lachapelle Diaz, was chief of the Police and declared his neutrality of his forces. The Triumvirate without the full support of the military that helped them to be in power collapsed early in the morning of the 25th of April.
General Wessin and General Santos (chief of the Air Force) sent colonel Benoit to negotiate with the constitutionalists in order to create a provisional government. The constitutionalists demanded Bosch to be reinstalled as president but the generals wanted to call a free elections in two months. The argument between both sites was basically that. Them Wessin and Santos decided to show up his forces by ordering the aircraft of the FAD to bomb the National Palace (colonel Benoit was still inside when the fisrt bombs exploted at the Palace).
By the 26th of April, 26 aircraft (P-51, Vampire and At-6) bombed Santo Domingo and the Navy's two destroyers and two frigates also did the same. Meanwhile the constitutionalists continues given up weapons to civilians.
By the 27th of April, The constitutionalists? civilians and military leaders when to the US Embassy to see if the US Ambassador might stop the bombardment of the city. The ambassador acted very irresponsible and blamed those at his presence for the deaths of innocent people. Practically asked them to surrender their weapons. That moment changes the faith of Caamano, who took command after colonel Hernando Ramirez, became sick. Caamano according with several witnesses of the meeting said to the ambassador "Conio! you will see KNOW how a true man fight" from that moment the rest is history.
The decision to call the US for help came from the ambassador of the United States after the San Isidro forces lost at the Juan Pablo Duarte Bridge's battle on the 27th and 28th. The ambassador William T. Bannett ordered Wessin and Santos to send a petitions to Washington asking for help and that members of the communist parties took over the leadership of the rebels. That was not true because the left did not have the resources to do that and the list of communits that Washinton had were known MPD and 14 de Junio members and many were death.
This is very intense and if you know Spanish, I have an article about this in my web site www.fuerzasmildom.com an English version will be available soon.

Note: sorry for my english I am wirting too fast and most of my words are some how lost in my thoughts.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Excellent post. It was previously posted here that the CIA knew that there were very few communists in the DR. That the Dominican army essentially did away with the real communists prior to 1965 is a point that was not mentioned previously in this thread.