US passport renewal

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
So it sounds like you never actually got any sort of useful reply to your email, is that correct? Did you just go on your own to the consulate to get the ball rolling or did you obtain an appointment first? If you did get an appointment, how did you go about it? The Banco Popular receipt and telephone route?

Sorry to be so nosy but I forsee a looming battle with the consulate on behalf of my stepdaughter.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Somewhat related, I apologize in advance if a little off topic.
If you are a naturalized USA citizen, do you need a your citizenship certificate for a passport renewal?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If you have a passport already that was issued after you turned 16 then all you need is the old passport and a new photo. (and a filled out application form) They have your citizenship record on file. Renew by mail in the U.S. or at a consulate if outside the U.S.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
follow up

If you are under 16 or the old passport was issued when you were under 16 you have to go to a passport issuing office where they can have a look at you.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
If you are under 16 or the old passport was issued when you were under 16 you have to go to a passport issuing office where they can have a look at you.

Good morning,

Thank you for your answer. I have a quick follow up question: Do I see it correctly when i say that the Certificate of Citizenship has more or less only a symbolic value? What is it's purpose?

Thank you.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I'm afraid I have no good answer for you. I would take care not to loose your certificate though. The minute it disappears you'll find a need for it. :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Good morning,

Thank you for your answer. I have a quick follow up question: Do I see it correctly when i say that the Certificate of Citizenship has more or less only a symbolic value? What is it's purpose?

Thank you.

Somewhat related, I apologize in advance if a little off topic.
If you are a naturalized USA citizen, do you need a your citizenship certificate for a passport renewal?

The Certificate of Naturalization and the Certificate of Citizenship are two different certificates.

If you gained citizenship through your parents, you have a "Certificate of Citizenship". If you gained citizen through naturalization you have a "Certificate of Naturalization".

And it doesn't have a symbolic value like you said. If you loose your passport you will need to show proof that you are a U.S.A citizen and the only proof they will take if you were not born in the US or one of its territories is either the "Report of Birth Abroad", the "Certificate of Citizenship" or the Certificate of Naturalization".

Keep it safe, because it costs $375 dollars to replace it.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
The Certificate of Naturalization and the Certificate of Citizenship are two different certificates.

If you gained citizenship through your parents, you have a "Certificate of Citizenship". If you gained citizen through naturalization you have a "Certificate of Naturalization".

And it doesn't have a symbolic value like you said. If you loose your passport you will need to show proof that you are a U.S.A citizen and the only proof they will take if you were not born in the US or one of its territories is either the "Report of Birth Abroad", the "Certificate of Citizenship" or the Certificate of Naturalization".

Keep it safe, because it costs $375 dollars to replace it.

Thank you, I appreciate the tips, great!