US Resident Living in DR

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I understand that the INS laws have been changing dramatically and that they are being very firm with US Residents and time out of the country. I heard that a resident of the US (a Dominican born person with a greencard) can only stay out of the US for up to 6 months - if longer, the greencard can be revoked.

I have a family member who has been in DR for almost a year now and she is scared that they will not let her come back to the US.

What is the best way to find out if this person's Residency is still valid? Is there a number we can call to find out what the real law is? I would hate to buy a ticket and then find out that there were processes that we were supposed to handle before she left the country.

Will this be a Dominican Consulate question or a US? - I ask because I'm trying to find out the correct info to do research online.

Thanks.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Talldrink...

I just got off the phone with one of my cousins who lives in the D.R. AND usually travels every 6 to 9 months to the U.S. to keep her green card valid.

She says that she "le mete cuento a la gente de Imigraci?n" when they ask why she has been out that long. Here's a list of excuses she has used through the years:

1. Mi pap? est? inv?lido y mi mam? est? enferma y no puede atenderlo.

2. Despu?s de los atentados de Septiembre 11, he tenido mucho miedo viajar.

3. If the stay is longer than a year, she gets a new passport and tells them that the old one got stolen.

She says that if you ask INS for guidance, "ellos te sacan todas las leyes, y despu?s es un l?o." Avoid asking them anything.

-Joseito

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Talldrink said:
I understand that the INS laws have been changing dramatically and that they are being very firm with US Residents and time out of the country. I heard that a resident of the US (a Dominican born person with a greencard) can only stay out of the US for up to 6 months - if longer, the greencard can be revoked.

The time out of the country for a greencard holder was 12 months. Has it changed to 6 months?

S

Stephen

My understanding

...is that it HAS changed, but I am not sure whether it revokes the green card. I am pretty sure that now you have to be IN the US 7 months per year in order for your time to qualify for the 5 year requirement to become a citizen.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
It did change.

Well, I'll update you guys when I have my family member come next month... Keep your fingers crossed!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Habla muy poco. Lucir inocente!

Yo? No lo sab?a, Se?or. Muy por abajo. S? Se?or. No Se?or. Claro que quiero vivir en los Estados Unidos.! Por supuesto que s?!.

That is the line to take. Like an old song once sung by Rosemary Clooney:
"I didn't know my stay was over, and I'll never, never do it again!"

I didn't know the gun was loaded
And I'm so sorry my friend.
I didn't know the gun was loaded,
and I'll never, never do it again!

HB

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
Talldrink said:

Try to call INS the reentry permit which allows the US legal residents (non-naturalized) to stay overseas more than one year. But you have to have a good grounds and why you have to stay overseas for more than one yera.

It is renewable on every two year basis (if I remember right), you call INS or go to INS web site, you should be able to see this.

Reentry permit is just like the guarantee to permit you back to the US for legal residents who stay overseas more than the acceptable time set up by the INS.

JM

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
US Naturalized/ New Dominican residency

Does anyone know if this law with regard to the timeframe spent out of the country(DR) relates to one having dual citizenship between the US and DR?

In other words, once one has established permanent 'residencia' here in the DR, are they limited to travel time spent back in the states?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jamie:
You have to apply for the permit before you travel. They send you a little beige passport-looking booklet that you are supposed to travel with when you are going for your lengthy stay. She's had 2 of those already and the wait for one is endless. Also, the fees have doubled along with every fee for INS documents.

Timeless:
When you stablish dual citezenship, you are no longer just a resident, so can stay as you please in either country - since you are a citizen of both.