USAID projects in the DR

Apr 13, 2011
What experiences or info does anyone have about USAID projects in the DR? Specifically around Energy, Climate Control and things like that... I am considering getting involved in some developing projects, so any insight (even opinions) would be helpful before I decide to do anything. Thanks.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thanks for the link. I was also looking for additional personal insight and opinions from others in the DR as well.... so if you have any stories or experiences relating, please do tell...

Save for some of the girls and one of two guys, most of the DR1 crowd is related to beer and beach than spending their summers carrying out USAID pilot programs in the country.

Some do midwifery stuff, others are out to save all the viralatas and gatos sin botas roaming around. Others carry out educational stuff and toy drives for low income kids.

You can contact the local USAID guy in charge of programs in the DR to help you pick a thing suited for you.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Mission Contact
Alexi Panehal, Mission Director
USAID/Santo Domingo
Unit 3470, Box 528
DPO
AA
Dominican Republic
Postal Code - M
34041-0175
Phone 809-221-1100
Fax 809-221-0444
USAID Contact
Debbie Banks
Email dbanks@usaid.gov

Apr 13, 2011
Thanks. I just thought, with all the various people on DR1, someone might have had some kind of experience, affiliation or even an opinion about USAID - primarily about their Energy and Environment programs - as opposed to just the "official" answers from USAID in DR offices.

But I guess that no opinion or response also says a lot about the programs in a way....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think as happens with most anything, you can have a good and stimulating, productive USAID project and one that is just a money shuffler -- meaning money paid to US consultants that practically just deliver papers but still need to justify the funds.
Who the contractor is will make all the difference. There are good and bad contractors.
My husband was involved with an excellent USAID project that started the tourism clusters in the Dominican Republic. But the project declined when it was contracted to another company. The community needs and the consultants needs seemed to be going in different directions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are at least three ex-USAID or peace corps volunteers posting on DR1 and I believe, at least one current. Be patient as they are not frequent posters.