Using oanda to convert usd to DR pesos etc..

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
All,
I've a few questions about converting us dollars to DR pesos, from th u.s.. I stumpled upon an online service called oanda where you can exchange us dollars to RD pesos. This is done strickly via internet and the foreign currency of one's choice is mailed to them in a few days. Does anyone know about this service. If the answer is yes, how good are the exchange rates, in comparion to what's to be had concerting cash upon touch-down in DR. Also, how reliable is this service.

On my next DR trip, upon arrival I want to have enough pesos(in hand) for cabs, dinner, etc.. and then exchange more dollars the following day. Is this a good idea or not?

Carl

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
is this a good idea or not.

NOT. You will have no problem with USD at the airport and then can exchange for pesos in town. Dont change at your hotel they will take advantage (read screw you) on the exchange rate.

Bob K

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
carl ericson70 said:
I stumpled upon an online service called oanda where you can exchange us dollars to RD pesos.
Are you sure they will convert pesos? It seems like they only convert some major currencies. I see where they will quote a USD to Dominican peso conversion, but not where they will allow you to place an order.

If in fact they handled Dominican pesos, it probably would makes sense for someone to use the service if they lived outside the US. That way they could avoid the double whammy of converting from their home currency to US dollars, taking US dollars to the DR and then converting from US dollars to Dominican pesos when they arrive.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
AVOID using Oanda for RD currency transactions.
They just quoted me RD23.90/USD for actual currency.
Bring either USD or USD Travelers cheques to swap in the country for the best rate.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Tamborista said:
AVOID using Oanda for RD currency transactions.
They just quoted me RD23.90/USD for actual currency.
Bring either USD or USD Travelers cheques to swap in the country for the best rate.
most likely a mid market rate meaning the real rate is double the ****

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
hello guys,

The maximum you can come is USD$10,000.00 and won't have problem at the airport, banks has better exchange prices, get ready your passport and go to the bank and use your credit card too.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
riravaga said:
hello guys,

The maximum you can come is USD$10,000.00 and won't have problem at the airport, banks has better exchange prices, get ready your passport and go to the bank and use your credit card too.
why the hell would you use your credit card... your gonna get**** as your exchange rate on that as well and on top of that the credit card company will put a % charge on it ... call your credit card company yourselves and find out ... just like using debit.. your gonna get service charged to use it there and your bank at home will service charge you too if your gonna do that than i suggest taking out a ample amount not 100 pesos at a time .... :cross-eye people ...