Van Gogh art exhibit continues at Plaza de la Cultura

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Van-Gogh-Immersive-Art-Experienca-UEPA-Tickets-1024x667.png

The Van Gogh Immersive Experience in Santo Domingo is not the original experience, TV host Mariasela Alvarez announced after checking with the originators of the global touring art show. DR1 had wrongfully reported it was the original experience. The Van Gogh event that is taking place at the Plaza de la Cultura is another fun activity to do in Santo Domingo, yet not the original.

Wikipedia explains: “A number of real-life and virtual reality exhibits of Vincent van Gogh’s paintings have been staged around the world since the 2000s. The for-profit events range across venues, organizers, and locations, though the majority have been held in North America in 2021 and 2022. The events are typically set up in large gallery spaces. Images or videos of the artist’s works are projected onto walls, ceilings, and floors, sometimes accompanied by animations...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I went last week and it is definitely not the same experience as you see in other countries. Although disappointed in the false advertising, for 700 pesos I really could not complain. As expected, the presentation is entirely in Spanish which is not a problem for me but for those that don't speak much Spanish it will prove to be a bit challenging. The first 30 minutes is a walkthrough of copies of Van Gogh's most famous pieces of art and an explanation of his art and life. The next part is the 3D headset offering one scene that you can immerse yourself into. This only lasts about 5 minutes and there are only a limited amount of headsets so make sure you are at the front of the group when moving into this section. Then the last part is a 40 minute show with images projected on the 4 walls and the floor. If you want a seat or cushion make sure you are at the front of the group otherwise you will be sitting on the floor. Although pretty good, this is definitely not the same presentation as the original. During the presentation people are arriving and leaving and they literally have to lift the corner part of the screen to allow people to arrive and leave which is a little annoying. All in all, money well spent but if you have seen videos on YouTube of the original show then you might be a little disappointed...although I am sure that the original show would cost a lot more that 700 pesos.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Tee, I am disappointed. The "original" one was very good and very well organized/presented. At least the one here in the DR was somewhat enjoyable. Thanks for reporting back :)