Veterans Community Care Abroad

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A story posted in the online news of Bavaro Digital promotes a new medical clinic to treat US veterans has arrived into the tourist zone. Its name is “Veterans Community Care Abroad”. It will service veterans at no cost. This may be a boon for veterans residing in the DR. It should be investigated to secure if it US approved for Veterans.

The US government Dept of Veterans Affairs has a program called Foreign Medical Program, FMP. Service members with service related medical conditions or other approved conditions must enroll in the program to receive benefits abroad. Visit to the website: www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/veterans , It will provide more information. It could be the new clinic participates in the FMP program.

It is noteworthy to say the US government allows this health program in approved foreign countries and yet not allow Medicare to be used abroad.

The clinic is located on Av Espana near Plaza Bavaro in Bavaro.

Regards,

PJT

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There used to be a clinic for US Veterans on Calle Puerto Rico across the street from Union Medical in Santiago but the facility closed down during Covid and never reopened.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There used to be a clinic for US Veterans on Calle Puerto Rico across the street from Union Medical in Santiago but the facility closed down during Covid and never reopened.
Wondering if the clinic in Bavaro has some staff that used to work the clinic now closed?

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'd guess lack of veterans in Santiago. North Coast probably has more.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
A story posted in the online news of Bavaro Digital promotes a new medical clinic to treat US veterans has arrived into the tourist zone. Its name is “Veterans Community Care Abroad”. It will service veterans at no cost. This may be a boon for veterans residing in the DR. It should be investigated to secure if it US approved for Veterans.

The US government Dept of Veterans Affairs has a program called Foreign Medical Program, FMP. Service members with service related medical conditions or other approved conditions must enroll in the program to receive benefits abroad. Visit to the website: www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/veterans , It will provide more information. It could be the new clinic participates in the FMP program.

It is noteworthy to say the US government allows this health program in approved foreign countries and yet not allow Medicare to be used abroad.

The clinic is located on Av Espana near Plaza Bavaro in Bavaro.

Regards,

PJT
According to the services offered, they can refill meds.
I'll call them on Monday, just to verify... and report back.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
According to the services offered, they can refill meds.
I'll call them on Monday, just to verify... and report back.
I just spoke with a clinic staff member.

While my main concern centered around meds and refills, I was given a list of other services in the offing but not currently listed: dental, orthopedic, ENT, etc...

As far as meds and refills:
(Service-connected conditions)

1. Schedule an evaluation appointment
2. Bring list of meds currently on
3. If approved, they can dispense meds
4. If no meds on site, they can be ordered

They just opened this center a month ago. Had I known about it, I would've visited them while I was there in June.