Virginity

nyc

Jan 26, 2004
Sanco
Believe it or not, we are saying the same thing but using different words/experiences. I will say this though. Barbados is one of the more
developed islands in the Caribbean and by no means would consider themselves to be poor (damn near everyone has 3 cars in their garage but that's not a topic for here). So again I'm using this example to show that it
is not unique to one island, continent, community or people just as you are saying that it is nothing new and a mere indication of human development/progression.
I agree wholeheartedly with the need to instill discipline, values, and responsibility in a child's upbringing. Where I grew up, it was not just the
family but the entire community (which included school teachers, neighbors etc) who took an active role in discipline and guidance. That has deteriorated greatly in the States and it is more of a shame when it deteriorates in communities where even though you may not have much, you make do with what you have and above it all, you have each other.
I have only been trying to illustrate the factors that lend a hand in ther early age of sex phenomenon based ona public health perspective.
I'm not against you buddy.

ps. The obesity hypothesis for early menstruation is a stretch. When reading these studies, we pay attention to the methodologies, analysis and results versus the conclusions.

sancochojoe said:
NYC again

DR as a whole needs to maintain the dicipline within the family to help teach children to abstane until adulthood until an individual can make responsible life decisions. The 12 year old child is responding to his/her natural sexual urges and if an adult is not there to reinforce discipline sex will happen.

But I must say, this is common in POOR countries period. When general needs of a society are not met, then what you have is uncivil behavior which can destroy a society.

Mind you, I have valued the postive family traits in DR that I do not witness in the States. Wealth can sometimes can mislead the thinking that everything is ok in a family when it is not.

But also poverty can create more havoc due the lack of attention to children.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
Yes

at the beginning of this thread i said i couldn't believe that these horror stories of 10-13 year olds were having sex. and i was pretty much told "what world are you living in..." the people at the beginning of this thread were making it sound like it was an epidemic.

and now at the end of this thread everybody is saying "no its not that bad".

the poor in d.r. and the rich in u.s. do not supervise their children as well as the middle class.

i don't think the percentage of children doing this is of epidemic proportions.

nyc

Jan 26, 2004
i did not say or do i remember anyone else saying that it's not that bad.
i said that to blame pedophilia for 10-13 year olds having sex is
misguided. people got on you because it seemed that you refused to believe that it even occurred outside of abusive instances. The truth is that kids are having sex earlier for a lot of reasons with pedophilia not being the main reason.

The "feel good" statements were for recognizing the need to adequately provide/enforce supervision and values to curtail the problem by addressing the factors and/or reduce the opportunities for natural human development and curiosity (per sanco) to pop out. (pun intended)

Please do not misinterpret my words to suggest that i'm saying there is no problem. there exists a problem in ALL walks of life. I don't believe that I'm changing my tone at all but I wouldn't be stupid to speak for anyone else.

when it is all said and done, you are however entitled to your opinion. you can take the facts, ignore them, accept them at face value or adapt them symbiotically to your own belief system.

and with that, i will withdraw from this discussion and go back to being a browser.
farewell.

mami said:
at the beginning of this thread i said i couldn't believe that these horror stories of 10-13 year olds were having sex. and i was pretty much told "what world are you living in..." the people at the beginning of this thread were making it sound like it was an epidemic.

and now at the end of this thread everybody is saying "no its not that bad".

the poor in d.r. and the rich in u.s. do not supervise their children as well as the middle class.

i don't think the percentage of children doing this is of epidemic proportions.

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Ok, I'll help you out

Forbeca said:
So why are we so interested in studies being done here in the US. This is not yet the case in the DR.

As a dominican, I can tell you that in the DR kids from good families are still very much subjected to strick rules and chaperoning during young adulthood. It is quite impossible for teenagers who do not drive to have the kind of freedom required to carryon with this type of activity.

Now, if you want to talk about the kids living on the streets, that's different, but a kid from a normal family is brought up totally different; for crying out loud. Where are all the dominicans who know this and are not posting?

You are correct, I'm also dominican, Middle Class and let me tell you about, I went to private catholic school for girls, and is true what you said that is complete different and families try to teach at least the girls how important is to be Virgin when you get marry.

Virginity is something that is starting to loose the value in the DR, people now are more open minded. Is still a touchy subject. But in the good families as Forbeca said you won't find a kid having sex at 13, the keep a close eye to their kids and try to gave them an opportunity to have a childhood. When kids in these families have more freedom is starting more around 17 and 18, have driver licencese, start going to parties, etc.

Believe me, I was raised by parents that worry a lot about their childrens and raise in the catholic religion, you actually believe that having sex before marriage is bad and is hard to fight against something you were raise to believe. My friends were raised in the same way. Kids that are raised in the same environment that I grew up knows what I'm talking about and there are a lot of families like mine in the DR.

I can't talk about the poor people but in middle class when you are a teenager you can think about sex, but doing it is lot different thing, I'll said that you start to open your mind when you go to the university when you are not in a very controlled environment but then you can open your mind but you already were raised in a certain way.

I remember I was so naive when I was in high school (not long ago, I'm only 23), I can't said that teenagers in the middle class between 16 - 18 are not having sex, there is no way you can know it, those that are doing it try to hide it. When I was in those ages for me all my friends and my classmates were virgin, I don't belive that is true now, but as I said I was naive.

This is just my point of view and in DR there still a lot of old traditional families. And being a Virgin before marriage is still of high value for those families.

Johy

I can tell you one thing. Latin television does not leave room for the imagination. Latin TV is cleavage heaven. You can't watch the News without
staring at two heaving breast from the anchor woman. It does not surprise methat some young boys would be very aggressive toward young girls when it comes to sex at a young age.

I'll tell you one thing. Keep that TV OFF.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
sancochojoe said:
I can tell you one thing. Latin television does not leave room for the imagination. Latin TV is cleavage heaven. You can't watch the News without
staring at two heaving breast from the anchor woman. It does not surprise methat some young boys would be very aggressive toward young girls when it comes to sex at a young age.

I'll tell you one thing. Keep that TV OFF.

That's funny Joe. Wonder what's going through your mind when you watch the news. ;) I don't know many 10 year olds that sit and watch the news.