visa for canada...emj_08, process from start to finish

cathay

*** Sin Bin ***
Oct 13, 2008
You heard that who will do the September interview? Where are you getting your information from. My husband is waiting for a call . I would appreciate some info. PLEASE.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
EMJ,

Did your laywer advise you that you will need to go through the mediation hearing first where only you are interviewed and then if you are denied again, you will go to the full court hearing where witnesses will be allowed?

Maybe DD can post how long it took for the mediation hearing and the approx. wait time for the full court hearing....I would think you are looking at least at 6 months for the mediation hearing and close to 2 years for the full court hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Also, again having gone through all of this before.....when you appeal you have a mediation first with no witness, this takes 4-6 months, its just you, your lawyer and the mediator, if after that they still dont believe you, then its goes to a hearing, which can take almost 2 years for a date.

Again i'm speaking from Personal experience.
DD

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let's keep this thread in support of emj_08 .

Dominican Daisy has first hand experience on appealing a decision so please keep in touch with her.

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
My lawyer said nothing of this mediation thing. We had a consultation and filed the appeal, but we have much more to discuss, so I'll ask about that. But it's kind of good news I guess... I could have the mediation and get the decision overturned quicker than expected. We'll see. Keep you posted.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
definitely ask him to go through the process and to find out what timeframe you are looking at.

it doesnt sit well with me that he didnt already advise you of the mediation step (ADR hearing).

i hope he knows what he is doing and not just taking your money!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi EMJ,

I just wanted to let you know that I was reading another immigration website and people were discussing appeals for common-law applications.

I wouldnt take this as fact as I dont have a source to back it up but this is what they were saying...

ADR hearings are typically used in Spousal Appeals and not in common-law cases
Common-Law applications often go straight to the full court hearing

It is at the discretion of the people approving your appeal request to suggest which route your file will take.

I hope all is going well!
Sangria