Visiting Haiti?

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Berzin,

You shouldn't let anything stop you from vistiing Haiti. Most of the chaos are miles miles away from Au-Cap aka Cap Haitian and Jacmel. I suggest going solo since it will be your first time and I'm sure you'll want to know your surrounding b4 bringing a lady.. Save it for the next time you come..Hopefully, you'll make some friends on your first visit then the next time you'll be treated like a lost family member(King Berzin).... I will tell you all of the places to avoid and where to venture to w/o any worries. You won't regret it...I swear to you after going to haiti you'll definitely understand why Napoleon sent all those troops and manpower to re-colonize the island...I know the whole island to some extent like the back of my hand....I will be happy to let you see Haiti in a different set of lenses...Once you've had Prestige beer you'll keep Presidente in the fridge...and try Barbancourt Rum 5 star...we speak every main language on our side of the island...you'll be amaze to hear some many languages..

Berzin said:
I have always wanted to go to Haiti, and seeing as I am in the DR almost every other month, I would definitely be down to see what it is like. I will keep you posted, as I will be in the Puerto Plata region this summer with a little time on my hands...by the way, should I take my girlfriend? She lives in Santo Domingo and would probably be into the trip herself, or is it better to fly solo?

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
mne01,

Thanks for visiting haiti....I am sure you'll cherish those 3 days for ever. Yes, the haitian history actually the history of the whole island is exciting and sad at the same time. But we must move on from our history and look towards the future. Hopefully, Haiti will increase its revenue from the tourist sector. Cap-Haitien is a very beautiful place where you can see the influence of the french in the architecture of the homes, churches. The Capois(e) speak creole with their own flavor and most will switch to french at a drop of dime...They are very proud of their french heritage and brag about their great educational system.

Yes, Ayiti Cherie is not for the amateur tourist but again most of the propaganda on TV are isolated areas. Actually believe it or not tourism was a big part of our economy unfortunately the bad press and the political turmoil for about 10 years dwindled that sector. But with great people like urself I'm sure Haiti will thrive again.

Its funny how people don't realize how many foreigners are living in haiti and enjoying their own slice of paradise. We have canadians, french, italians, polish, chinese, venezuleans, and large colombian population recently.

Next time you come please head to my original home town of Jacmel. They have the best carnaval on the whole island. Where you can see colorful mask and our connection with spiritual world. Very very abtract paintings and designs beautiful women.. You'll be surprise to see so many upper class dominicans enjoying our carnaval unlike the majority which have no idea. I can compare it to La Vega but more intense and creative. Everyone from Petionville comes down during this time and hotels are sold out. You'll see nothing but Landcruisers(Tete Boeuf) blasting kompas and guys trying to pick up beautiful haitian women.

Also dont forget to go to Fonds des Blanc which basically describes the people. Majority are white not mulattos but white blue eyed blond hair haitians. They are descendants of the polish who came to haiti centuries ago. But don't get it twisted they are 110% haitians.

I won't tell you more but let you come see for yourself. Again thank you for your interest in Haiti and the Domincan Rep. Come again...

Mne01, its people like you we need to tell the truth about Haiti..I respect a persons opinion only if they've experienced it and seen it with their own eyes. BTW, I will tell you a secret..next time try "Du Riz Djon Djon" which is rice with mushrooms..this a haitian dish I've never seen anyone else make....

Oh, and in Jacmel you can stay at Jacmalienne Beach Hotel...

mne01 said:
Quisqueya! What a post! You should work for the haitian tourist office... I haven't had the fortune of visiting all the sites you mention but I've been to Cap-Haitien, La Cidatel and Labadie. It was truly an experience, no doubt about that. I spent 4 months in the DR and 3 days in Haiti, but beliveve me, I've spoken just as much about Haiti since I got back home. I'm so fascinated by the country's history, and its people. I've even become engaged in their destiny, keepin an eye on the political turbulence there eversince.

I'd still not recommend it to just any tourist, though. Although you may find your resorts and even all-inclusives, its not like the DR. The DR is in many ways MADE for for foreigners and tourists - its so large a post of their economy. In Haiti its not the same, for better and for worse. I personally really enjoyed it but if you prefer a relaxing, non-problematic trip, this might not be your choice(I don't know to what extent you agree, Quisqueya?).

By the way, for those going I must recommend Labadie beach. Its the closest to paradise I've ever been and it demonstrates the upsides of a beautiful country not totally dedicated to tourists. I know parts of the area is exploited by American cruising lines who (think they) own parts of the area, which they protect with armed guards. But away from that, you will find a slice of heaven in the miniature bay of Hotel Belli beach. I can't explain it any better right now or explain the way there but its truly amazing .

Not to speak about the Citadel. It's breathtaking. What a piece of architecture! And hey, I'm from Europe, I've seen a whole bunch of old castles and forts and architectural masterpieces and sure we have some fine ones but man, La Citadel is the bomb!

I am coming to the DR next week and I will try to visit Haiti. I'm not sure of going there myself though. What is your opinion on that, Quisqeya - will I make it on my own in, say, Port-au-Prince?

Cheers
mne

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
mne01 said:
Quisqueya! What a post! You should work for the haitian tourist office... I haven't had the fortune of visiting all the sites you mention but I've been to Cap-Haitien, La Cidatel and Labadie. It was truly an experience, no doubt about that. I spent 4 months in the DR and 3 days in Haiti, but beliveve me, I've spoken just as much about Haiti since I got back home. I'm so fascinated by the country's history, and its people. I've even become engaged in their destiny, keepin an eye on the political turbulence there eversince.

I'd still not recommend it to just any tourist, though. Although you may find your resorts and even all-inclusives, its not like the DR. The DR is in many ways MADE for for foreigners and tourists - its so large a post of their economy. In Haiti its not the same, for better and for worse. I personally really enjoyed it but if you prefer a relaxing, non-problematic trip, this might not be your choice(I don't know to what extent you agree, Quisqueya?).

By the way, for those going I must recommend Labadie beach. Its the closest to paradise I've ever been and it demonstrates the upsides of a beautiful country not totally dedicated to tourists. I know parts of the area is exploited by American cruising lines who (think they) own parts of the area, which they protect with armed guards. But away from that, you will find a slice of heaven in the miniature bay of Hotel Belli beach. I can't explain it any better right now or explain the way there but its truly amazing .

Not to speak about the Citadel. It's breathtaking. What a piece of architecture! And hey, I'm from Europe, I've seen a whole bunch of old castles and forts and architectural masterpieces and sure we have some fine ones but man, La Citadel is the bomb!

I am coming to the DR next week and I will try to visit Haiti. I'm not sure of going there myself though. What is your opinion on that, Quisqeya - will I make it on my own in, say, Port-au-Prince?

Cheers
mne

I'm not just any tourist. Anyone who voluntarily lives in the DR can automatically be classified as an explorer or at least an above average tourist.

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
not directed at you ustelephone

ustelephone said:
I'm not just any tourist. Anyone who voluntarily lives in the DR can automatically be classified as an explorer or at least an above average tourist.

What I wrote about "not just any tourist" wasn't directed at you, but at Quisqueya, whom I thought hid the fact a bit that a trip to over there might be at least a bit enduring for the non-experienced or fainthearted traveller, preferring a calm AI resort in Punta Cana to the adventures of, say, Port-au-Prince. Beyond helping you out, these threads will be used for future reference as well so I just wanted to contribute with my experience to those interested in going, DR residents or not.

all the best,

mne