Visiting In-Laws for First Time

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I always get several quality pairs of shoes, and various clothing, from the local second had stores, since they cost an arm and a leg there. I bought a small DVD player with several DVD's for the kids and it was a huge hit. Only cost $35 on ebay and they all use it to watch movies. Also for the kids, cars and barbies are a great choice. The barbies I've seen there are outrageous and I got a handful at the goodwill for next to nothing. I also picked up several used phones, such as a blackberry perl or similar that I get for around $30 bucks here in the US. It was another very popular item. I bought one of those battery powered can openers you just put on the top of the can and it then automatically goes around by itself and opens the can. Someone who cooks a lot will really appreciate that. One Touch Automatic Can Opener, One Touch Can Opener, Kitchen Wares, LTK6175

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Jeans? A lot of foreigners love american jeans. They can be so cheap here in second hand stores.

Meadow

Jan 25, 2012
I really like the idea of the can opener. I can see how it would be a novelty. Unfortunately, from what I gather, the father doesn't allow anything from a can. Everything must be fresh, from scratch, and still he complains about the cooking all the time. :ermm:

Meadow

Jan 25, 2012
Yes, this makes sense. I have some Crocs that I wear a lot when I'm off work. I also wear good quality sneakers for work, because I'm in a casual atmosphere and on my feet all day. My daughter suggested I should leave all of this here in the US when I visit. I am allowed only to wear sandals in the DR. :rolleyes:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
just want to say that Crocs are all the rage in Las Terrenas although they are the knock offs.. you cannot wear them in the city as much since they have no traction on wet pavement

My best idea would be the PELTZ headlamps with led lights which are absolutely the BEST thing for a place with blackouts

Also - my friends have always asked me for the electric curler dryer which is a godsend in this hair obsessed country

A bottle of Chanel number 5... well\

every woman alive wants Chanel number 5

the rolled up back pack bags that are sold in Targets are wonderful gifts

do not worry about it too much...

it is enough that you are coming

enjoy and congrats on having new relatives here in paradise!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I am allowed only to wear sandals in the DR. :rolleyes:

Ha, ha, I never go without at least one pair of closed-toe shoes.

Dominican ladies have a natural ability to walk through pig slop and come out with clean sandals. I on the other hand will step in the only mushy thing for miles.

But certainly don't embarrass the poor child by wearing tennis.:devious:

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
My best idea would be the PELTZ headlamps with led lights which are absolutely the BEST thing for a place with blackouts

Now that you mention it, I highly recommend this handy flashlight for getting from room to room during a black out--no batteries needed. I bought a couple for the DR, but find them handy here at home, too.

No Battery Flashlights at Brookstone

(Disclaimer, I AM NOT related to pi2, I get no financial gain by posting the link nor do I get my experience from the internet.) :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Meadow

Jan 25, 2012
Yes. Well....

I think my poor daughter has made a lot of faux pas during her time in the DR. Since she is with her husband, he must certainly have given her plenty of feedback on exactly what she did wrong. I think we are a family who speak our minds, and they are a family who stand on ceremony. My daughter just doesn't want her in-laws to think we are a bunch of bumpkins. She's even more afraid that we won't care what they think of us. Her fears aren't completely unfounded, since we tend to do our own thing, and are somewhat non-conformist. I'm trying to follow her rules, because I realize that she has to live with the consequences long after we go back home.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Meadow, maybe a decent, easy to use digital camera would be a nice gift. They are more expensive here than the in the USA and your daughter and/or son-in-law could help then use it if they needed help. Big bonus for you and your husband would be the photos of the grandchildren:) Whatever you decide I feel sure that your son in laws family will be very appreciative and very pleased to meet you. Sounds like a nice trip and welcome to the DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well you seem to be well trained in manners, which is a very important thing here

it is a much more structured and formal culture on many levels than what we may be used to in the States

Just be warm and friendly... kiss the women, shake hands with the men, adore the children

and ADMIRE the house

and appreciate the food

I would NOT assume that they are in NEED of THINGS and be rushing all about to pay for this and that

it is embarrassing

(Listen, I have my OWN relatives who do this to me, since they assume that I must be completely broke to live here... ok, they do have more money than me ... but I live just fine, thanks very much!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sandals? Bull-doo doo....take you good Tennis shoes...take your Crocs..kids wear them all over the place.
Cabrera is about as far from civilization as you can get on the North Coast....The posters might be right, scratch the spices (no problem by the way with Customs) unless you have a "to-kill-for-recipe" for Southern Fried Chicken!! Then you show Mama how to make that!! But you don't want to be in the kitchen all day anyway....

You have some good suggestions...go with the pick of them... Marshalls, and such is about right...

HB

(OFF Deep Woods, 30+ Sun Screen, Pepto Bismol and some Ibuprofen or Tylenol...Survival...)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
As CFA said a lot depends on their situation. I have always ended up paying for the pig (around $50-100 USD depending on size) but a pig roast is a definite celebration. They will be inviting a lot of family to see you and some may come from a distance. Gifts for the kids is easy, Barbies, books with colored pencils and baseballs to start. For the adults it does depend on their economics. The pig roast will be lots of hanging out and meeting peoples. Find you husband some shade and a few bottles of cold water to keep him comfortable. It can be a lot of fun.

as others know.. I have a particular anti Barbie rant.. I simply hate her.. and I think that it is very rude to give a child a doll that looks nothing like herself and has to have clothes and cars bought not just for her but for her dorky boyfriend Ken

ok, perhaps the girls are too young for MS Magazine..

coloring pencils and books are great

Meadow

Jan 25, 2012
Actually, I have a father-in-law, now in his 80's, who does this. When we were newlyweds, he would bring us big brown shopping bags filled with frozen meat. He is always the most generous one at any holiday, and he always throws money around whenever he comes to visit. On the one hand, it's appreciated, on the other hand, it's condescending.

Well, they're in luck, because our money supply is limited. We won't be throwing money around in an unseemly manner. ;)

I hadn't planned on trying to supply any needs, just stuff they'll enjoy. Your advice is excellent. Thank you.

Meadow

Jan 25, 2012
I am in total agreement about Barbie. I didn't like them when I was a little girl myself, and I like them less now that I'm an adult.

I bought the girls some baby dolls and some of those bottles that seem to empty out when you tip them over. We also found a pack of toy plastic mules (shoes). When the girls were here 6 months ago, they LOVED our shoes, and would shuffle around in them all day. There is one little boy, and we got him some little toy cars and a small soft (Nerf-type) soccer ball.

We found a nice wallet for the father, and a bracelet for my daughter, but need to continue shopping for everyone else. I'm liking the idea of bath gels and lotions. We tried to buy some nice pen sets, but couldn't figure out which refills to buy.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
For the parents you can bring them a house ornament such as a flat wall clock or digital picture frame or by doing that you can shoot two birds with one stone

How to Use a Digital Picture Frame - YouTube
For the kids some digital cameras, preferably one that would use the same memory card as the digital picture frame. If not digital cameras, you can bring fashion jewelery, kids also love watches and you can't go wrong with them but fashion jewelry will not work if they are religious.

Last edited: