Visitor Fee And Discrimination

PLANET924

Jan 31, 2008
Just want to share what happen to me on my Trip last Month to DR going thru Las Americas the immigration officer was asking for money for coffee what kind of crap is that, Iam Dominican hasta la TAMBORA but this is crazy. it didnt hit me until I went out side. they dont have ask for noting at all. and hell no I didnt give her noting

invest-dr.com

Feb 18, 2008
www.invest-dr.com
Maybe part of the problem is if people want to pay in dollars. They should remember that the currency of the DR is pesos, and if tourist attractions, taxi drivers, restaurants and the like acceptforeign currency, they have to send somebody to change the money or deal with extra banking-accounting hassles etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn_ish

Oct 20, 2007
Teleferico fares

One thing about the Teleferico fares that I noticed back in October last year.

Tourists might pay double fare, but there were 2 queues.

One for tourists = was 10-20 people in queue.
One for "non_tourists" = was 50-100 people in queue

It seemed that the tourists queue was emptied first and then people from the other queue was allowed to enter the platform.

I did not mind to pay 3-4 USD more to pass the 50-100 people in the queue.

So I would not say that tourists have more expensive fares there, they are just getting VIP service which costs them more.

-Peter

P.s different thing was the guide who wanted to sell his services for 1500 pesos...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One thing about the Teleferico fares that I noticed back in October last year.

Tourists might pay double fare, but there were 2 queues.

One for tourists = was 10-20 people in queue.
One for "non_tourists" = was 50-100 people in queue

It seemed that the tourists queue was emptied first and then people from the other queue was allowed to enter the platform.

I did not mind to pay 3-4 USD more to pass the 50-100 people in the queue.

So I would not say that tourists have more expensive fares there, they are just getting VIP service which costs them more.
I agree.
I'd gladly pay a few bux more to not have to wait behind 50 people.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I just wanted to post as to why do visitors to the Dominican Republic have to pay more for things than non Dominicans? As a first time visitor to the country I did not expect this discrimination towards visitors. I was really upset.
When Dominicans visit our country we don't do that to them. Everyone is treated equal and fare.
Why rob and legally cheat visitors on your homeland? and we don't look at you and try to cheat and legally rob you when you visit us and I am sure its the same with Europe they don't do that?

Why look at a visitor and ask him to pay more than non Dominican whats the reason involve is it race or to get over why this discrimination?

I must say I was really upset with this as a first time visitor to the country.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
pay the fees

It can be a lesser wait if you pay the baggage checkers at the airport a couple hundred pesos and they will get you throug quickly and sometimes get you in the 1st class line so you can get upstairs sooner for your last rum or presidente!

jes1959

Jan 5, 2007
In Callao Peru at the fort the actually have the prices listed that extranjeros pay a different fee and require Peru cedulas and or passport to enter. Maybe they need some of the extra lawyers that we have here. No lets keep them here, I can already hear the flushing sound.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
This doesn't just occur outside of the States. While brick and mortar businesses here (NYC) have a set price (though over the years i've learned to haggle- even at Macy's!), it is a very different story when you hit the street vendors, corner stores and such. Especially now, with the dollar so low against the pound/ euro and tourists flocking over en masse. $6.00 for a gyro I saw one couple fork over. I've noticed quite a few deli's have removed many prices from the sandwich board.

However, DR does seem to take it to another level; In December while drinking coffee at Anacaona on the Conde in SD, I asked the cigar store clerk for a lighter.. he was going to charge me what amounted to $7.00.. for a .50 bic disposable lighter. I burst out laughing asked him for fosforos (matches), which he gave me, no charge. Go figure.

CJnNJ

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
In Callao Peru at the fort the actually have the prices listed that extranjeros pay a different fee and require Peru cedulas and or passport to enter. Maybe they need some of the extra lawyers that we have here. No lets keep them here, I can already hear the flushing sound.

Great Salsa music there!!!!

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
Your A Tourist? You Are White...they Rip You Off

I've returned from the DR this past Saturday from my 7th time visiting the country and going to see my fianc? and this time...I'm ****ed...why do us tourist have to pay sometimes 3 times as much as locals...tell you some episodes that we went through...my fianc? is Haitian and owns a business and lives in Santo Domingo. He speaks and writes 7 languages. He met up with my son and I in POP last week. We stayed at a resort but since he knows the country...we adventure out most of the time. He will pretend that he, also is a tourist knows no spanish and when we go to markets or private shops...he overhears what the owners or workers will say behind our back in spanish and being tourists, they figure that we can afford to pay full price. Surprisingly, he will start talking spanish and tell them that he's live in DR and why do they have to charge full price to the tourists. They answer back well, they can afford it. That's a rip off and very insulting...thank god he can manage to wheal and deal with them but if one does not have anyone with them to know the language...YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF. Another example...we went to the cable cars...the girl behind the counter says to my fianc?...you are a tourist guide?...Well he replies of course...instead of being charged $10 each for the 3 of us...she charged him only $10 for all of us...can you believe that?....BEWARE THE TOURIST TRAP...back in Canada...we don't charge different prices because of your colour or ethnic background...that's unethical!!!!!!
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE DR and will be living with my fianc? ...soon to be my husband there in a couple of years...but I am so glad that I have him as he knows the country....I guess...I really need to learn more of the language so I can be more independant!!

That is my 2 cents of the day ...opinions welcome!!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sorry for your adventures. i think 2 things matter here: your white and he's haitian. i'm sure there are plenty of discriminatory practices your soon to be husband can tell you about in the DR against haitians.
but don't let this deter you.
love conquers all :laugh:

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, I feel so sorry for her. Her post was so touching. Poor little girl.....