Visitor visa for my wife

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think it is still virtually impossible to get a visa for a spouse. I tried this summer and my wife was denied.

Just curious, but why are you recently putting an asterisk after all your sentences?

The asterisks are free courtesy of a bug in this forum.*

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Peter, this is one of those things that would have gotten a reply from the Late CC.

No way Jose. cccccccccccc This would be my guess for his reply.

Feb 7, 2007
At this very moment, they are giving out USA tourist visa like candy. My daughter's grandfather's brother (what would be the name for it?) just received 10 year visa. He is like 65 or so and only has a small colmadito in one of the Barrios of Haina. Not even a car to his name, though he has some land and other properties.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
At this very moment, they are giving out USA tourist visa like candy. My daughter's grandfather's brother (what would be the name for it?) just received 10 year visa. He is like 65 or so and only has a small colmadito in one of the Barrios of Haina. Not even a car to his name, though he has some land and other properties.

My wife didn't get any candy when she went there. A friend of mine who is a detective in Florida sponsored his girlfriend here who has a full time job. She didn't get any candy either.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
His age probably had a lot to do with the approval. He is more likely to return as he would have a hard time finding a way to support himself at that age in the States. And the fact that he owns property and a business. No matter how small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
My wife didn't get any candy when she went there. A friend of mine who is a detective in Florida sponsored his girlfriend here who has a full time job. She didn't get any candy either.
You can not sponsor someone for a tourist visa. The applicant is asked if they will be paying for the trip, or if someone else will be paying. If your friend was paying, then his information would have been needed.

But the decision on whether to grant the visa or not is based on the likelihood that the applicant will return to DR. If they can demonstrate that this is the case through property titles, employment, family ties, etc. They are more likely to be approved.

May 29, 2006
Trying to figure out if she had that done when she recently got her passport. She was fingerprinted but not sure if it was a scan or ink. As many of you have found out, they've started doing that for entry into DR.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I was trying to make this very point. They are indeed granting US Tourist Visas like confetti.......The girl in my partner's hair salon was granted one last week......she's unmarried with no children and her only income is $15,000 per m onth......she provided the Embassy with a letter that her uncle would buy her tickets

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Trying to figure out if she had that done when she recently got her passport. She was fingerprinted but not sure if it was a scan or ink. As many of you have found out, they've started doing that for entry into DR.

It doesn't matter what was done at the Dominican passport office. It must be done by US Immigration at the VAC.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was trying to make this very point. They are indeed granting US Tourist Visas like confetti.......The girl in my partner's hair salon was granted one last week......she's unmarried with no children and her only income is $15,000 per m onth......she provided the Embassy with a letter that her uncle would buy her tickets

Do you have any statistics to back that up? Otherwise, I think you are just creating a false sense of hope for those looking to get a US tourist visa. I'm also aware of several cases just like you mentioned that you would think wouldn't stand a chance of getting a visa. I also know of just as many cases of people who have tried 2,3, 5 times w/o luck and were much more qualified than the girl you mentioned.

However, it's only going to cost you $160 to try. You never know, you might just get lucky.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
A US resident can sponsor a relative or friend for a tourist visa. Relatives are more likely to be approved than friends, but in neither case is it a guarantee that ]
This information is provided by a 3rd party website. I'm not sure how correct or up to date it is.

The text below was taken from the US Department of State, consular affairs website.

"Additional Documentation May Be Required
Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply. Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:

The purpose of your trip;
Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.
Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa".

Last edited by a moderator:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If she is your wife, why not get a wife visa? That is 100% granted. Lot of paperwork, yes, but she is in!
Der Fish

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If she is your wife, why not get a wife visa? That is 100% granted. Lot of paperwork, yes, but she is in!
Der Fish

Yes, I could get a residency visa no problem and, if I ever move back to Florida, that's what I'll do. I just want to be able to take her there on vacation. If I get the residency visa and don't move back, my understanding is she will lose it - I can't use it like a multiple entry tourist visa.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Yes, I could get a residency visa no problem and, if I ever move back to Florida, that's what I'll do. I just want to be able to take her there on vacation. If I get the residency visa and don't move back, my understanding is she will lose it - I can't use it like a multiple entry tourist visa.
Yes. You are correct. She would need to reside in the States with no extended absences for I believe it is two years. That is when the "provisional" period of the residency visa is over. If you have been married for longer than two years before applying for the residency visa, there is no provisional period.

If she does receive a multiple entry tourist visa, and you do decide to move back to the States at some point, she may accompany you, and then file for a "change of status", in this case a residency visa. She will not need to wait in DR while this is being processed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

But you could trade the residency visa in on a 10 year renewable visitor's visa.*

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I am most certainly NOT creating false hopes merely posting what I and the general Dominican population know. US Tourist Visas USED TO BE almost impossible. Have you visited VAC in Galerias 360 recently? I have and watch the window to the left hand side where you collect your approved Visa. Engage with the Dominicans in line....Something has definitely changed.

Do you have any statistics to back that up? Otherwise, I think you are just creating a false sense of hope for those looking to get a US tourist visa. I'm also aware of several cases just like you mentioned that you would think wouldn't stand a chance of getting a visa. I also know of just as many cases of people who have tried 2,3, 5 times w/o luck and were much more qualified than the girl you mentioned.

However, it's only going to cost you $160 to try. You never know, you might just get lucky.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am most certainly NOT creating false hopes merely posting what I and the general Dominican population know. US Tourist Visas USED TO BE almost impossible. Have you visited VAC in Galerias 360 recently? I have and watch the window to the left hand side where you collect your approved Visa. Engage with the Dominicans in line....Something has definitely changed.

I had heard the same. *The question in this particular case is if visitor's visas for spouses of US citizens are now also being granted. *They used to be virtually impossible to get. *I personally know this for a fact.* The only way was to get a residency visa and exchange it for a visitor's visa.*

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Yes I have. Didn't you see my posts? I was just there in July trying to get a tourist visa for my wife. How many of those people walking out actually qualified for that visa? My friend's girlfriend here who has a full time job was there in July, too. Interview lasted about 2 minutes. Didn't ask to see anything. Denied. A lot of people have heard of someone who inexplicably got a visa and, therefore, they're just giving them away now? I say that's just wild speculation.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
But you could trade the residency visa in on a 10 year renewable visitor's visa.*

Are you sure that is a standard, normal, approved procedure? Just get residency visa and write to them and say you changed your mind and want a 10 yeqr tourist visa instead?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are you sure that is a standard, normal, approved procedure? Just get residency visa and write to them and say you changed your mind and want a 10 yeqr tourist visa instead?

I am sure it is not. *I am sure it did work.*