"Wally" on a Mission

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Let's say the US had appointed a Hindu ambassador. Would they be attacked for organising an event commemorating Diwali and inviting representatives of the local Hindu community? Would they be accused of promoting a Hindu agenda?

The Hindu ambassador would be bound as is any other US ambassador regarding what they should and should not be doing with regards to their professional agendas. See below.

The Chief of Mission -- with the title of Ambassador, Minister, or Charg? d'Affaires -- and the Deputy Chief of Mission head the mission's "country team" of U.S. Government personnel. Responsibilities of Chiefs of Mission at post also include:

•Speaking with one voice to others on U.S. policy--and ensuring mission staff do likewise--while providing to the President and Secretary of State expert guidance and frank counsel;

•Directing and coordinating all executive branch offices and personnel (except for those under the command of a U.S. area military commander, under another chief of mission, or on the staff of an international organization);

•Cooperating with the U.S. legislative and judicial branches so that U.S. foreign policy goals are advanced; security is maintained; and executive, legislative, and judicial responsibilities are carried out;

•Reviewing communications to or from mission elements;

•Taking direct responsibility for the security of the mission -- including security from terrorism -- and protecting all U.S. Government personnel on official duty (other than those personnel under the command of a U.S. area military commander) and their dependents;

•Carefully using mission resources through regular reviews of programs, personnel, and funding levels;

•Reshaping the mission to serve American interests and values and to ensure that all executive branch agencies attached to the mission do likewise; and

•Serving Americans with professional excellence, the highest standards of ethical conduct, and diplomatic discretion.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Let's say the US had appointed a Hindu ambassador. Would they be attacked for organising an event commemorating Diwali and inviting representatives of the local Hindu community? Would they be accused of promoting a Hindu agenda?

Chiri,

Yes. It would be the same thing. As an ambassador he should not mix his personal life with Embassy resources. The role gives you less freedom in that regard.

If he/she were to participate privately in Hindu ceremonies organized by the local Hindu community, without any press coverage, that would be another thing entirely.

So, if Wally and his partner would participate privately in the gay activities, without press coverage, that would be fine. He should however, be aware that he will always be seen as the US ambassador.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
All Well & Good, BUTT, Obama sent him here to gain favor in the USA, NOT in the DR.
It WAS a slap in the Cultural Face of the DR.
I am waiting for him to send a Catholic Priest to be the ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
"What's That"???????
"Oh, OK"!!!!, he can slap the Catholics, but NEVER the MUSLIMS!!!!!!
I wonder if the ambassador to Israel has been circumsized????????
I'll ask "Wally"????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

When will ANY person's sexual activities/lifestyle/ANYTHING cease to be of ANY importance, OR interest to anyone but that individual?????
"Wally" and his partner appear to have a happy, healthy, stable relationship, how many of us can say the same??????
"Let It GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread is not about homophobes or Chip. Next one who takes this thread in that direction will be banned.

I realize that the very fact that the Ambassador is gay sets some of you on that path. Control yourselves.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
All Well & Good, BUTT, Obama sent him here to gain favor in the USA, NOT in the DR.
It WAS a slap in the Cultural Face of the DR.
I am waiting for him to send a Catholic Priest to be the ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
"What's That"???????
"Oh, OK"!!!!, he can slap the Catholics, but NEVER the MUSLIMS!!!!!!
I wonder if the ambassador to Israel has been circumsized????????
I'll ask the ambassador to the DR!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Being on DR1, among DR lovers, we tend to lose sight sometimes, lol.......

Saudi Arabia has oil....DR has b&b (beaches & b :p). I don't really think Americans are losing sleep over cultural face of the DR, let's be realistic. Agreed, that he should be more culturally sensitive, that s what he is paid for.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
You should be moderating the US embassy. At least in this case where it clearly looks like the Ambassador is pressing his unpopular personal homosexual agenda instead of the usual matters of state. Unless homosexuality has now become an important matter of state to the US government..

While it may please him to participate, it does not appear to be his "personal" agenda but rather in line with his bosses' agendas.

In Spain last month, the rainbow flag was flown at the USA embassy for at least a day to recognize the international day against homophobia and transphobia.

Also in association with the day, both the president and secretary of defense issued proclamations in support of tolerance for glbt.

Secretary of State John Kerry said
It?s not lost on anyone that this year?s International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHO) coincides with the 60th anniversary of the ruling in Brown v. Board of Education. Our commitment to advancing the human rights of LGBT persons is part of this country?s long history of fighting to ensure that all people can exercise their human rights.

Also, remember that Obama chose a largely gay delegation to attend the Olympics opening ceremony as a message of support to the world in the face of Putin's policies.

So perhaps the thought that Wally is promoting a personal agenda that doesn't coincide with his superiors' agenda would appear to be inaccurate.

The USA and other organizations have a history of pushing for what is deemed personal freedom and human rights around the world. That one may disagree with this particular agenda vs racial or gender discrimination (for example) perhaps says more about that person than the value that is trying to be instilled of acceptance and equality for fellow humans. You may just be on the wrong side of future history.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The US sent a black ambassador to apartheid South Africa in 1986. Would some of the commenters here have had an issue with that too?

First Black US ambassador is sent to South Africa | South African History Online

I don't think the two can be compared - by 1986 most of the world was opposed to apartheid and it was a bold move by the US to send a black ambassador. It was the right thing to do.

The only way it could be compared is if DR was persecuting homosexuals. They may not embrace them in DR, as far as I see it's more of a tolerance.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
They may not embrace them in DR, as far as I see it's more of a tolerance.

True. I think that's why there is little voice raised from the gay community. For now, with exception of perhaps gay marriage they find little persecution, live, work, love and enjoy the same rights as other Dominicans. The loud voice is from leaders of the church and politicians hoping to keep their followers motivated. They are fighting a losing battle and with time the rhetoric will die down.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
While it may please him to participate, it does not appear to be his "personal" agenda but rather in line with his bosses' agendas.

So what you are implying is that it is the policy of the current administration to promote homosexuality wherever and wherever possible? I would agree.

Nonetheless, the comment that Brewster is just following his orders as opposed to a personal agenda is laughable to say the least given his background and that he has spent much of his life promoting homosexuality in the US. Furthermore, no one forced Brewster to get "married" on the eve of his arrival to the DR and make it so public. Good grief how can progressives ignore the facts so nonchalantly!!!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
So what you are implying is that it is the policy of the current administration to promote homosexuality wherever and wherever possible? I would agree.

Nonetheless, the comment that Brewster is just following his orders as opposed to a personal agenda is laughable to say the least given his background and that he has spent much of his life promoting homosexuality in the US. Furthermore, no one forced Brewster to get "married" on the eve of his arrival to the DR and make it so public. Good grief how can progressives ignore the facts so nonchalantly!!!!

Chippie, your God ain't about love? Give it a rest and take a Prozac or smoke a blunt because before you know it God may "punish" you by giving you a gay child. ;)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
This is the real issue

This is what was said:

"Responding to what sounded like threats and attempting to defuse the situation, embassy spokesman Daniel Foote said that Brewster was nominated because of his ideas about democracy and that when he arrives, ?Brewster arrives as an ambassador, he?s not coming here as an activist for the gay community.?

Source:
Appointments and Resignations - Ambassador to the Dominican Republic: Who Is James

And now:

"La Embajada explic? en un comunicado que con relaci?n a este tema, el presidente norteamericano Barak Obama manifest? lo siguiente: "Nuestro compromiso con la promoci?n de la igualdad para la comunidad LGBT se extiende mucho m?s all? de nuestras fronteras. "

Source:
El Caribe ? Embajada EE.UU. en RD har? actividades por mes de Orgullo Gay

It seems that the US cannot be trusted to keep its word - at least not under the current President.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is what was said:

"Responding to what sounded like threats and attempting to defuse the situation, embassy spokesman Daniel Foote said that Brewster was nominated because of his ideas about democracy and that when he arrives, ?Brewster arrives as an ambassador, he?s not coming here as an activist for the gay community.?

Source:
Appointments and Resignations - Ambassador to the Dominican Republic: Who Is James

And now:

"La Embajada explic? en un comunicado que con relaci?n a este tema, el presidente norteamericano Barak Obama manifest? lo siguiente: "Nuestro compromiso con la promoci?n de la igualdad para la comunidad LGBT se extiende mucho m?s all? de nuestras fronteras. "

Source:
El Caribe ? Embajada EE.UU. en RD har? actividades por mes de Orgullo Gay

It seems that the US cannot be trusted to keep its word - at least not under the current President.

The gay lobby historical has used lies and deceit to promote their agenda. For all the "supposed" acceptance of Dominicans of homosexual acceptance as seen in the US I have had to apologize for more than once on behalf of my country for what they are doing here. I understand that some posters promote that homosexuality is openly embraced in the DR but the truth is this is only the case in the circles in which they run.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Ambassadors are appointed for the work they have done to get a president elected.
Wally probably got Barry a lot of votes from the gay community.
Hey, personally I can't understand why a guy wants to touch another guy's wiener and doesn't go for the popola but let's not be drama queens (Chippie) about it. ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ambassadors are appointed for the work they have done to get a president elected.
Wally probably got Barry a lot of votes from the gay community.
Hey, personally I can't understand why a guy wants to touch another guy's wiener and doesn't go for the popola but let's not be drama queens (Chippie) about it. ;)

Another #1 http://dr1.com/forums/off-topic/143504-ten-commandments-rational-debate.html

I recommend you read the referenced thread to try to understand the rules of debate. TIA.