Wanted - Tortoise

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Turtles aren't the smartest members of the genus... :)

why would you say such thing?

5b1c7k.gif

Aug 6, 2006
The "missionary position" is not possible for turtles.

I was surprised to hear the turtle making sounds. I did not think they had the equipment to make such noises.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Whenever one of these old threads gets revitalized, I see poster names and wonder what happened to them.

And I learned that turtles need water, and tortoises don't.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I suspect importing such a creature would make the rest of my hair turn gray. That's what I was originally looking for, a tortoise not a turtle. There doesn't seem to be any here that are on offer at least. I've resigned myself to attaching a cardboard picture of one to my robotic lawnmower and pretending.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I suspect importing such a creature would make the rest of my hair turn gray. That's what I was originally looking for, a tortoise not a turtle. There doesn't seem to be any here that are on offer at least. I've resigned myself to attaching a cardboard picture of one to my robotic lawnmower and pretending.

Were you planning to sell rides to the kids? That's a little creepy, sir.

(No, I could not read the previous pages)

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
i saw few wild turtles in costambar. although "wild turtle" sounds a bit like an oxymoron. lovely creatures. they bite. one took a small chunk of my finger.

i knew two people who kept turtles as pets but no idea where they get the animals from. no grass involved, thou. turtles lived small shallow pools/ponds with few stones.

now someone will tell me there is a difference between tortoise and turtle.i spit on this difference. them things look the same.

Like the difference between a toad and a frog, who gives a flying foot?
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is a big difference if you wish to look after one. Turtles need a pond and eat live food & meat, tortoises don't need a pond and are vegetarian. Tortoises can grow to be quite large and can live for ~170 years. Turtles not so much. A tortoise is very difficult to lose, unless someone hauls it away on you.

This would be an ideal climate and environment for a tortoise unlike the environment back home. At the time I was just looking to see if it was feasible. Now I know it's not. Too bad because I'm always looking for things to lure the kiddies that are more personally entertaining than candies and baseballs.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Although usually Accurate , you're responses sometimes trigger me to smile and lose my beverage !!! This , was one of those times . Still chuckling . Am still getting used to how to , I guess reply under the intended message . DVR-8

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
You've been thinking about this a long time :)
There are US sources of great tortoises. http://http://www.theturtlesource.com/i.asp?id=225689767
Aldabra tortoises are like Galapagos giants but not endangered and legal pets in the US. Seems like the RD would be a great climate. These guys aren't ever going to be an invasive species threat. So is the issue the RD's animal importation regulations? 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The importation of reptiles is difficult as no one seems to have done it before. One applies for permission to import a particular species. There are fees and govt checks for CITES animals etc. Export license is required from the country where the animal is coming from. Vet check in the US, Vet checks in the DR, a quarantine period, more fees and on and on it goes. Much more work than I am prepared to undertake. Maybe in my next life.

I shudder to think how many times I would have to explain what a tortoise is. I can see DR customs trying to open the shell to check for drugs...

RoodyRoots

Aug 14, 2018
I would ask at the ports as there are usually animals confiscated there that might be in need of a home

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I would ask at the ports as there are usually animals confiscated there that might be in need of a home

Hi There,

Welcome.

You are responding to a thread that is over a year old.

thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thx for the suggestion. I am now 3 years closer to my demise on this planet and the tortoise fascination has past.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Sorry but it said this was a new thread from my end

nothing to be sorry about. I know you are new and was letting you know since I know the age of the thread can be overlooked.

In any event post away as there is no rule against replying to an old thread. It was more of a courtesy heads up as I did not want you to think the thread was from this past July.

Welcome to the DR1 community.

thanks